Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 7,831 times

Advertisements

So I in a bit of a struggle deciding between 2 job offers. One is for a sales position and the other is for a QA position. They are 2 very different roles. I have a science background. I was just curious if anybody can give me an insight as to the career potential and what I'll expect out of my career for both roles. I was looking for a job that I could travel, which is what the sales position demands. But the QA position pays more. However, I heard it's hard to move up in a technical position that's not engineering without a PhD. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 PM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
I couldn't sell a barn to a parrot but if you can then the sales might get you more. QA people get to fart around a lot that's always nice.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:10 PM

833 posts, read 657,703 times
My advice is to take the QA job given your background in science. As well you can always improve upon your qualifications if need be.

Good luck.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:12 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'd take the QA unless you are really into sales. Most science oriented people aren't the best sales people. Myself included.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:17 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
What are you selling? If retail, stay out. Commercial/Industrial sales can do very well since that is the source of company revenue.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:08 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
if you're not good at sales (and there's a lot who aren't) take the QA job. If it pays more, than you can afford your own travel. Also, it sounds like you've never been in sales- it's not a walk in the park.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:40 PM

393 posts, read 360,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegegrad2015 View Post
So I in a bit of a struggle deciding between 2 job offers. One is for a sales position and the other is for a QA position. They are 2 very different roles. I have a science background. I was just curious if anybody can give me an insight as to the career potential and what I'll expect out of my career for both roles. I was looking for a job that I could travel, which is what the sales position demands. But the QA position pays more. However, I heard it's hard to move up in a technical position that's not engineering without a PhD. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Do you like/are good at sales? If the answer is no, it will get old really fast and you will probably wash out anyway. The thing I noticed with sales is that anytime you do well, the quota will go up. In a lot of places they don't care how much better you have done, quarter after quarter, only the current one matters.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:48 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
sale of what? being a sales rep for large equipment isn't the same as selling avon products on the street corner...

QA :S. You could move into a regulatory job with some government agency... or private company

Old 11-28-2015, 10:45 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,821 times
If it's a field like pharmaceuticals, realize that sales can be very cyclical and jobs can be unstable. If you do not think you have the skills for sales, you might want to go with the QA. Remember that these days no job is forever. So no matter which job you take you can always morph yourself by gaining skills, to your next job. I say take either unless you don't have the skills. Start somewhere and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment