Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:24 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,098,339 times

Advertisements

FYI studies keep finding that GPA has no correlation with job performance. This is why some companies have stopped asking for GPA. My company is one of them.

My boss is probably one of the best engineers I've ever known. He told me once that he graduated with a 2.3.

I've seen guys with high GPA's like 3.8 or 3.9 getting let go at various firms I've worked at for lack of performance.

Edit.

Actually, a couple weeks ago they just let go a few people. One of them was someone directly under me. His GPA was about 3.6. Let me tell you, I don't believe I've seen a more incompetent person in this job before.
People can put their GPA in their job app if they want. We certainly don't ask for them. Anyone with the least bit of technical professional background should know through experience that GPA is a terrible predictor of job performance. Everyone in management at my company agrees with this based on their own experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:30 AM

10,029 posts, read 7,190,292 times
A high GPA gets you pretty ropes or maybe a medal for your graduation gown.

That is where the benefit stops. No one has EVER asked me what my GPA was. It was high dammit. No one cares. You do or you don't do, that is what matters in the workforce.

Mine is and has always been on my resume but not prominently featured. I never got the sense anyone cared. With grade inflation it doesn't matter much anyway.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:47 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,763,074 times
Majoring in something impressive and getting a good GPA in that impressive major translates to majoring in something useful and being good at it. So it's not just stroking an ego, it's very useful. Why is that not obvious?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:48 AM

15,756 posts, read 20,352,806 times
I don't even remember what my GPA is. In engineering, I don't really hear it discussed much once you have an established career. Subsequent job interviews never even talk about college.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:43 PM

297 posts, read 276,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Majoring in something impressive and getting a good GPA in that impressive major translates to majoring in something useful and being good at it. So it's not just stroking an ego, it's very useful. Why is that not obvious?
usually, but not entirely true. Pure maths or pure physics is perhaps the most impressive degree you could get, but isn't that economically marketable

Old 11-30-2015, 04:44 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,920,243 times
Two Masters degrees (computer science and clinical psych), 35+ years in software related jobs and 6+ years as a clinical counselor, and no one has ever asked about my GPA. Not once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment