Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 08:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,452,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Item1of1 View Post
Would that be like saying the power within a society does/does not lie with the lawyers?
Judges and juries have more power than lawyers. The only lawyers who really have a lot of power are prosecutors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:18 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,276,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Fantastic, let's talk about this one.

I am involved in 0% in the hiring decisions, I generally only ask questions of the hiring manager to ensure they have made a thoughtful decision. The hiring manager meets with their recruiter and tells the recruiter what to look for, NO ONE in HR is calling the shots. Our company does not use selection software, we hire the long term unemployed and we (HR) are strongly opposed to any type of personality assessment. I will say that we do have some business units who use it (assessments) and at every turn that we try to get it discontinued the business unit becomes unhinged. I am just as opposed to everything you have mentioned, I don't practice any of these things and frankly most in my profession don't. As for credit, we are required by law however we DO NOT review score or credit worthiness, we only review cases of poor financial mismanagement excluding, marital problems, medical or unemployment.

This myth has been busted.
I don't think your post is serious.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 12-14-2015 at 12:34 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I agree with much of what is written here. HR advocates for employees more often than most people think. Part of representing management is making sure they don't do anything stupid - and to enforce laws that are designed to ensure employees are treated fairly.
HR is there to protect the Company, not the employees.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Almost forgot! I don't give references either. Lie all you want to your next employer for all I care, I'll never tell. We, as well as most companies provide a vendor contact that will only provide title, dates of employment and income but only if YOU authorize it. I am not involved at all. Another myth busted that "HR gave me a bad reference".
They don't call HR for that, they ask for the name and phone number of the employee's supervisor. It is asked for on every job application. That supervisor knows how to burn an employee without getting in trouble doing so. Information such as job title and dates of employment is out-sourced to a company which has this information, most places don't call HR anymore.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:05 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,098,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
HR is there to protect the Company, not the employees.
I don't know why this is such a difficult concept. Protecting the company often means advocating for employees (i.e. advising management against certain actions, advocating for various quality of work life initiatives, or enforcing employment laws that protect employees).

Old 12-14-2015, 05:15 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,095,094 times
HR sucks in recruiting for technical jobs. Most HR reps are liberal arts, soft business graduates with no understanding of technical scientific or engineering jobs. So they just kind of name techniques, machines, and software languages in the ads and (probably) randomly ask for minimum experience on each. Unfortunately, they screen most of the resumes before the hiring manager gets them and disqualify tons of competent employees because they dont understand what would make a good employee for the position.

Theres allegedly stories of programming jobs at big tech companies having thousands of peoplw applying and claiming noone is qualified.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 PM

104 posts, read 76,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I don't know why this is such a difficult concept. Protecting the company often means advocating for employees (i.e. advising management against certain actions, advocating for various quality of work life initiatives, or enforcing employment laws that protect employees).
How to they "enforce" the employment law, rather than simply "know" the law? I ask because these are vastly different things, and the idea of HR taking any kind of adversarial stance towards their own company boggles the mind - it makes more sense that they would take an adversarial role towards the unwanted intrusion of Federal regulations that are getting in the way of the C-suite doing what it wants.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,683,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I keep seeing here that there are two sides, loving or hating HR.

If they get the job they apply for, HR is great and smart.

If you don't get it, HR is terrible and they should be done away with.
then you haven't been reading very closely IMO.

I see two sides : The people who work in HR, who drink the Kool-Aid about how they are "looking out for the employees", and blah blah blah.

And the people who've actually dealt with HR departments, who know good and well that this is a fantasy.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:09 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,153,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
HR sucks in recruiting for technical jobs. Most HR reps are liberal arts, soft business graduates with no understanding of technical scientific or engineering jobs. So they just kind of name techniques, machines, and software languages in the ads and (probably) randomly ask for minimum experience on each. Unfortunately, they screen most of the resumes before the hiring manager gets them and disqualify tons of competent employees because they dont understand what would make a good employee for the position.

Theres allegedly stories of programming jobs at big tech companies having thousands of peoplw applying and claiming noone is qualified.
If that's the case that's on the company. I wouldn't want HR writing job descriptions at all. If the hiring manager can't take enough time to review the job description and make sure the qualifications on the description are up to date and accurate, not really sure you can blame that on recruiting. Qualifications, should be set by the business, not HR. It sounds like people either apply to absolutely horrendous companies or they are mad at HR for something the business is too lazy to review.

Where I work all recruiting does is meet with the hiring manager, find out what the hiring manager is looking for, sort through the resumes based on what the hiring manager is looking for, call qualified applicants to ensure they are still interested, ask them to verify work history, and salary expectations. They then give the responses to the hiring manager and help the hiring manager set up an interview if they are still interested in the applicant. If the recruiter is making decisions I'd blame that on leadership of the company, not HR. We just hired someone a few months ago and even with a recruiter we had access to all the resumes. I read through them even with a recruiter and the recruiter we had did a very good job of picking the candidates that best matched what we were looking for.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM

455 posts, read 387,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
That is not what he is saying. He has said these things over and over again in multiple threads. He was very clear in saying that he does not respect the field of psychology, especially organizational psychology. He also bragged about never taking a psychology course. How does that have anything to do with the millions of people in HR who have MBAs and degrees in HR? Even if most HR professionals had advanced degrees in psychology, he would not respect them because he does not respect psychology even though he has admitted that he knows nothing about it. The validity of the field of psychology shouldn't have even been brought up because it is irrelevant to this thread.
Thank you and let's not forget that many in HR like myself and others have business backgrounds. We're not here to diagnose anyone so I don;t see how the psychology piece is relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment