Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,593,437 times

Advertisements

Ohh, and if you love to write, start a blog, and tag those companies you'd like to work for on Twitter etc.

You should never let go of your passions just because the work world is $hitty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 06:42 PM

51,613 posts, read 25,655,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Marry the girl. Jobs come and go, "Love" not so much.
That would be the smart move.

"True love. You think this happens every day?"

Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,198,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Ohh, and if you love to write, start a blog, and tag those companies you'd like to work for on Twitter etc.

You should never let go of your passions just because the work world is $hitty.
You are two posts ahead of me. Start a blog! Free continual exposure. Offer to write copy for non profit groups and blog for them as well.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,044,562 times
I met an English major at a party sometime last year who walked people's dogs in NYC for spare change while his girlfriend waited tables. He supposedly had written movie scripts, but had not had any discovered/published/accepted/whatever, and was still trying to break into that industry.

But that's ok, when both you and your girlfriend are trust-fund babies you can afford to live in NYC and pay the rents there. No risk on their part because they have mommy & daddy to pay their way and to fall back upon when they've overextended themselves. Sorry, I'm ranting about these liberal hippie yuppie children here.

The rest of us are not afforded the opportunity to screw up. If I screw up I don't get to eat, so that's why I don't major in English, why I don't move to NYC, and why I don't write lousy movie scripts between tokes & drinks.

For you I'd recommend getting into Welding. But if that doesn't interest you plumbing and electrical work pay well after your first few years. You're not a long-haired, excessively tattoo'd hippie type who shuns responsibility are you? I don't know what to tell you man. What's your loan payment look like?

Old 12-02-2015, 08:29 PM

99 posts, read 129,087 times
Wow, very interesting. I knew PR was a hard field to break into but it sounds like you held many internships during school. Were they all pr/journalism related? Have you tried staffing agencies? While entry level jobs won't make you rich, if you really want to follow your passion then you sort of have to agree a low paying related role as a stepping stone. Maybe I got lucky but my very first job out of college aside from retail was a $12/hr contract job. Fast forward 4 years later, I'm now a manager of a dept.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 PM

12,687 posts, read 8,915,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Son,

I would really consider joining the military, if I were you. (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard). You will gain valuable experience, with decent pay and benefits, and you will travel. If you are so inclined, I would do it sooner than later, since Congress is changing the retirement benefits. If you can't make up your mind, join the Reserves or National Guard. I assure you, that this may be the best decision that you will ever make.

Just visit or call your recruiter today.......

Even if you do not make it a career, you will make connections that will serve you well. No call centers for you to man there! The closest things to this are operations centers, to oversee emergencies, disasters, and so on.
This is the best piece of advice you can get. Even if you only do four years and out. Or serve in the reserves.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:44 AM

16 posts, read 12,438 times
Default Never, never, ever give up.

Millenial, you are young, and your actions scream immature. I, too, have an MFA, Screenwriting. I knew I could write, but also knew I could diversify. Go home and get the girl. Most writing jobs can be done from home on the internet. There are always people who want to pay you for ghost writing or editing. Find a local newspaper who will start you out on copy - basically correcting errors. It pays. Second, advertise yourself for writing student papers, CEO's bios, etc. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:37 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,754,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OP, you sound like a bright, determined guy. You are just a bit discouraged now, and who could blame you? Snap out of it.
If you quit trying, you are guaranteed to fail. If you keep trying you will eventually succeed. Perhaps not in the exact job you see yourself, but one thing will lead to another.
I agree that you were right to quit the soul sucking job you had. I agree you should branch out to other, seemingly unrelated industries. It seems that your field would translate well to marketing and PR. Would your background transfer to the music industry, somehow? Sports agencies? College football teams?
Quit bouncing around. If you like Austin, dig in and really devote 40 hours a week on every industry there. How about being a bartender at a sports bar, or where athletes or newspaper people hang out? You never know when you will meet someone who will make a difference.
I agree with this. You're bound to strike a gold mine if you keep trying and not give up.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:21 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,229,402 times
my nephew has been in your situation. He decided to stay in NYC and do writing for websites at some insulting pay rate like $8 per article. He wrote tons of articles and still does until he found some unrelated work to supplement his income. he's been a restaurant server and now does something at a film studio which he seems to enjoy.

No advice to you, but your choice of career would probably limit you to teacher or freelance writer.

Have you tried to write a book in your free time?

Temping might be a worthwhile thing to try while you earn some money. it might help you find something you don't mind doing.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:48 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,051,916 times
Wah -- Life is hard and not as glamorous as you see on TV and as the Kardaschians or Justin Beiber are living. Its called work for a reason. this whole lost & confused attitude wont pay the bills. best to deal with it by speaking to a therapist which I am sure your health insurance covers Too many 'just out of college kids' who have been coddled and handed everything by mommy & daddy (along with mommy and daddy PAYING FOR EVERYTHING) get a rude awakening once they enter the 'actual work world'...
Maybe a good therapist and/or a combo of psyc meds would work for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment