Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:02 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
if by "mid six figures" you mean 400k-600k, it's a pretty good salary and compensation and may be more difficult to find a comparable job that makes it worthwhile to jump ship.

my friend who left his job was in the lower six figures...200k range so it was a little easier to find a comparable job that would meet his salary requirements.
No, I didn't mean that. I should have said mid 100's, as in the neighborhood of 150k.

Calling 4-600k “a pretty good salary” is nutty.

Once I was above 100 jumping ship got harder. The higher you go, the more difficult it is to move. There are many more jobs in the 70-90k range.

When I was in that range, I could find something else in a matter of a few weeks. Now, it’s a longer search and I’d likely be taking on more responsibility and would possibly have to move, which is an issue because my wife has her own business that pulls in a comparable income. She can probably do it again but has a good thing going. First world problem indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 07:06 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Are you kidding? I've been failing upward for years..

Kid, you got upper management written all over you! No... really..
Funny thing is, I'd like to get into management, partially because I want to be called someone's 'boss' (ego stroking) but also because I think I can be more effective than the current mgmt. However, due to some seniority, intracompany politics and others in line, it's unlikely I'm going to get into mgmt.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:08 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
No, I didn't mean that. I should have said mid 100's, as in the neighborhood of 150k.

Calling 4-600k “a pretty good salary” is nutty.

Once I was above 100 jumping ship got harder. The higher you go, the more difficult it is to move. There are many more jobs in the 70-90k range.

When I was in that range, I could find something else in a matter of a few weeks. Now, it’s a longer search and I’d likely be taking on more responsibility and would possibly have to move, which is an issue because my wife has her own business that pulls in a comparable income. She can probably do it again but has a good thing going. First world problem indeed.
depending on what part of the country you live in and the type of work you do, it's pretty easy to find another job in the 150k-200k range. e.g., bay area, nyc, seattle, etc...for banking, engineering, etc.

in the 400-600k range you're looking at upper level executives or upper level tech at big companies (principal engineer, etc.) but i suppose it's all relative. however, if you're at google, facebook, amazon, microsoft, boeing, yahoo, northrup grumman, goldman sachs, etc...it's not so uncommon.

i think $1m+ is where it's really hard and have a few friends in that area that want to leave but are really stuck because only a few place can afford to pay anyone $1m+/year.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:34 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
depending on what part of the country you live in and the type of work you do, it's pretty easy to find another job in the 150k-200k range. e.g., bay area, nyc, seattle, etc...for banking, engineering, etc.

in the 400-600k range you're looking at upper level executives or upper level tech at big companies (principal engineer, etc.) but i suppose it's all relative. however, if you're at google, facebook, amazon, microsoft, boeing, yahoo, northrup grumman, goldman sachs, etc...it's not so uncommon.

i think $1m+ is where it's really hard and have a few friends in that area that want to leave but are really stuck because only a few place can afford to pay anyone $1m+/year.
Upper level (C level) execs at large companies make a lot more than 400k-600k per year in total compensation.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:48 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Upper level (C level) execs at large companies make a lot more than 400k-600k per year in total compensation.
ok, i'll try be a little more clear...

400-600k is common for upper level execs at small to mid sized companies (you know, the kind with 10-200 ppl)

400-600k is common for upper level non-execs (principal engineers, directors, etc.) at large companies.

RVD.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Anyone have a good paying job, (although you're not very enamored with the company or it's management) and just can't seem to get motivated to go above and beyond expectations or at least do more than the minimum expected?

I'm in a rut right now and just sort of going through the motions even though I'm fairly well compensated.
Yup! I ended up leaving in pretty much every case. Once I hit the wall in all I could learn and experience. It became like punching a clock.

When you get that feeling it is time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment