Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I wouldn't say "most." It is true that for some majors, graduates aren't directly involved in their field of study. Or, they aren't working the most lucrative paying jobs fresh out of college. But the first couple years of "professional" working aren't always the best or most enjoyable. You're building your value, your skills, and your networks. They're not stuck at these low paying jobs for their entire life. They all move on to bigger and better things.

There are tons who do end up in low wage jobs forever. They tend to be those who have a lousy major, went to a not-so-great college, didn't network, and usually aren't willing to move to a major metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 03:03 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
I see a number of millennials transitioning from low paying retail to not so low paying factory work. Some will end up being trained for decent paying skilled and semi skilled positions like machine operater, welding, machine programming, maintenance, fabrication, etc. Many of the skilled manufacturing trades are dying of old age, because no one is replacing the retiring boomers.

Skills still pay the bills. Learn something useful, and you stand the best chance of being rewarded.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:19 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exHorizon View Post
Thanks. May I ask,

1) How long does it take to complete a trade school program?
2) What is the easiest trade to learn?
3) Is it difficult to find employment after completing a trade school program?
4) What is the price range for trade schools normally? I live in NYC if that helps.

Thank you.
There's no easy way out. You'd better wake up. You can't live with your parents forever. NYC is going to chew you up.

The harder it is to learn the better the compensation.
Doctor - Four years college, three years of Med school. X years of residency. Then there is certification.
Attorney - Four years of college, Three years of law school. Then there are the exams.
Cleaning toilets in an old age home - HS dropout

Capishe? Wake up. You're still young.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:47 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'll add a few more:

EMT (requires passing a license test, but not college)
Utility Meter Reader
CNC Operator
Welder
Yard Assistant or Detailer at car dealership
I know a welder who has done well. Yard Assistant or detailer sounds very low paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
OP you really need to sit down with a counselor and consider the options offered at your local PUBLIC community college not a for profit trade school.

Utility meter reader - dying trade as most meters are now electronic
Truck driver - ok for now but long term in doubt

The rest depends on your innate abilities, programs differ in their length. Diesel mechanic (technician) is in demand but if you don't want to get your hands dirty consider CNC Technician. EMTs are highly skilled so if you don't want to study hard stay away from my community. Electrician apprenticeship programs require top notch math skills just to start BUT low voltage electrician may be suitable and is not that rigorous.
Why is truck driving in doubt for the long term?

I don't know about diesel mechanics, but I read a claim most auto mechanics don't last 5 years.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:44 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post

Why is truck driving in doubt for the long term?

I don't know about diesel mechanics, but I read a claim most auto mechanics don't last 5 years.
With the advent of the self-driving cars, many would seem to think that self-driving trucks aren't too far away.
They're being tested and fielded, but not being pressed into everyday use at the moment.

As for the mechanics thing, I would say that regular auto mechanics don't last that long, or tend to job-hop alot due to the low wages I keep hearing about.
While the Diesel techs and mechanics seem to make some decent, livable money, regular car mechanics seem to always start out around the $9-$10/hour mark.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:24 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
With the advent of the self-driving cars, many would seem to think that self-driving trucks aren't too far away.
They're being tested and fielded, but not being pressed into everyday use at the moment.

Even though they are testing; we still have hurdles to solve: Why Self-Driving Cars Must Be Programmed to Kill | MIT Technology Review. Even if we do solve issues like who should we kill; how about these vehicles mistaking deer or squirrels for people?

Old 12-10-2015, 01:24 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'll add a few more:

EMT (requires passing a license test, but not college)
Utility Meter Reader
CNC Operator
Welder
Yard Assistant or Detailer at car dealership
Someone who doesn't like working with people isn't going to make a very good EMT.

Meter readers are going away. My electric meter reports back to the company's computers over the electric lines and some types of meters can by read by RF from a moving vehicle. I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.

Last edited by johnp292; 12-10-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 01:31 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have had drivers for companies like Old Dominion or Wal-Mart tell me that they made good money. I almost took a job for Wal-Mart after Consolidated Freight closed. But I would have run into problems with my union pension. Also I did not like the way Wal-Mart owns you. Of course that is not the only company that is very controlling.

I had a partner for some time that drove feed trucks before he worked for us. He made between $50 to $60K a year. The advantage with some companies, like feed companies, is that you can be home on the weekend. I always worked until I ran out of hours so I never had a regular schedule.

Truck driving is a dangerous and hard job; it isn't for everybody. I waved at a friend heading the opposite way one trip and five minutes later he was dead. He got split in half by a truck tire that came off a truck going in my direction. That truck had a new tire put on at a truck stop fifteen miles earlier. Apparently the mechanic never tightened the lug nuts. But the truck driver and company were still libel because it is up to the driver to check every time he gets in his truck. My friend's widow got a good settlement from both the truck stop and the trucking company.

I drove with one partner that got out the truck and had a 2X4x8 fly by his head at 65 mph - it missed him by inches. It came off a lumber truck.

Highways are dangerous and even your body takes a beating from both the lifestyle and the trucks. But it puts the food on the table and pays the bills.
Truck driving is hard work, as you point out. I'm not getting the impression from the OP's posts that he's interested in hard work.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:04 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Truck driving is hard work, as you point out. I'm not getting the impression from the OP's posts that he's interested in hard work.

I didn't either!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:52 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Join the Army
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment