Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,804,662 times

Advertisements

Personally I'd tell them I didn't want to participate. I've done that once and while it didn't turn out badly for me (most people got others gift cards), it's not worth the hassle.

$25-$40 is completely ridiculous - especially for someone who doesn't make much. Ours was never over $10.

In regards to pitching in to get the manager a gift card - I might give $5 if I really liked my manager. Otherwise no way. They make tons more money than me. Why should I spend my piddly income on them?

Maybe I'm just a scrooge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 03:48 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,520,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Personally I'd tell them I didn't want to participate. I've done that once and while it didn't turn out badly for me (most people got others gift cards), it's not worth the hassle.

$25-$40 is completely ridiculous - especially for someone who doesn't make much. Ours was never over $10.

In regards to pitching in to get the manager a gift card - I might give $5 if I really liked my manager. Otherwise no way. They make tons more money than me. Why should I spend my piddly income on them?

Maybe I'm just a scrooge.
There is actually an "etiquette law" about gift giving in the workplace.

"There’s very clear etiquette on this, which says that gifts in a workplace should flow downward, not upward." 5 Questions About Office Gift-Giving – Answered - US News

I've always heard that giving gifts to managers is a really bad idea.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:55 PM

403 posts, read 472,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I work with a small group of folks in a call center. All of us are hired through a temporary agency, with the expectation of being permanently hired by the company after 90 days. Not a sure thing, so our jobs theoretically could end early next year. None of us are making more than $11 an hour. One girl from our group decided to start a Secret Santa and randomly passed out little folded slips of paper with co-workers names on them. I asked her what the price range was, and she said she'd get back to me. A few days later she told me it was 25-40 dollars. YIKES!

I don't want to be cheap, but it's not like we are making big bucks, and I have kids and grandkids to buy for this year. Plus, with the name I was given, I'm wondering just what do you get a 22 year old guy? I'm thinking a bottle since I overheard he was going drinking a few weekends ago, but that seems kind of inappropriate.

All the other office jobs I worked at the Secret Santa was $5 - $10. This is just another reason why I hate this extracurricular stuff in the workplace. If it's not the potluck, it's the begging for a donation for someone's birthday, Secret Santa, etc.

Do you think the price range is ridiculously high?? Is this the norm now?
It's not mandatory especially if you are still a temp so I would not worry about it too much.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,924,220 times
Just opt out. They certainly cannot require you to participate as it isn't a job function. I'd bet most of them would rather opt out as well. I'm sure they'd rather save $40, than receive a $40 gift from someone who has no clue what to get them anyway.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:40 PM

381 posts, read 642,184 times
Shouldn't a manager lead by example and set the ground rules for gift giving in the workplace around the holidays?

Too many don't and it just leads to conflict, IMO.

I like my manager, but not enough to give $10 for a gift card. Plus, my team wants to do a white elephant so here I am trying to figure out something. Will probably just use an old coffee mug and fill it with chocolate candy like I did last year.

God I hate this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment