Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 09:03 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times

Advertisements

old trader, you give good advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Hmm...Maybe she's been completely focused on her presentation. Maybe she already feels prepared and confident. Judging by the energy in her posts, she seems confident to me.

So, perhaps, after fully and completely preparing a kick-ass presentation, she thought, "hmm, now I'll turn to a silly Internet forum to ask for some wardrobe advice, since I don't work in corporate America...And after spending so much time on my *amazing* presentation I don't have a lot of extra time to shop or peruse fashion magazines..."

Why such an assumption of negativity??

In my experience those who are over confidant with their presentation are not as prepared as they believe and fail miserably and the outfit they have on means absolutely nothing and does not make up for a terrible presentation.
No assumption at all, she presented herself as more involved and focused on
"playing up her looks" *her words* which immediately takes her attention away from her task at hand.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:49 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
what the heck is a C level meeting?
There's an old saying, that if you have to ask, you don't need to worry about it.

That being said, the "C" Level are generally the top executives of any given company. So named because most of their titles begin with Chief;

Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Cheif Financial Officer (CFO)
Chief Operations Officer (COO)
Chief Accounting Officer (CAO)
et. cetera.

They are the group that makes the ultimate day to day decisions for the entire company and only answer to the Board of Directors (and shareholders if public), of which they are often also members of.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
In my experience those who are over confidant with their presentation are not as prepared as they believe and fail miserably and the outfit they have on means absolutely nothing and does not make up for a terrible presentation.
"playing up her looks" *her words* which immediately takes her attention away from her task at hand.
Nope, I didn't get that impression at all. Rather I saw someone who wants to be professional about every detail. for her.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yeah...that's because her question was about what to wear! She didn't need advice from CD posters about her presentation. She wanted advice on her outfit. When was she supposed to decide what to wear? Should she be working on the presentation up until the very last minute and just wear whatever she happened to have on???

What would you wear if you were in her situation?

Old 12-14-2015, 04:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't think it matters if she's dressed better than they are. It's a sign of respect to dress up for your betters in the corporate world. For example, a job interview. Which this may turn out to be for the OP.
It does actually. In my industry, c-level people rarely dress any dressier than khakis and a button down. So coming in a full formal suit, panty hose, and heels would be way too much. My CEO complained about having to wear a jacket the other day when he was doing an interview. He still wore sneakers.

You could easily wear jeans, a blouse, a blazer and nice shoes and be dressed perfectly.

If let's say banking? You better have a full on suit, and a fancy business appropriate bag.

So I'd gauge by what those people wear to work and go one step up. But you don't want to be 5 steps up, you'll be uncomfortable as well.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
And, this is really the crux of it. How do the successful female managers/executives dress in your company. That should be your model.

The old dress like a man style for women from the eighties is pretty much dead in all but the most conservative professions. Don't follow it too rigidly if women don't dress like that in your company. It can actually make you look stuffy/out of date.

I'm sure that if you shop at Saks you can find either a blouse or a shell that is polished/professional and that either will be fine. Most important is something that makes you feel confident and relaxed.
I agree. A button down can actually be too formal. You might be better off with a patterned work appropriate blouse. More nuanced than a shell, less stuff than a stiff button up.

Like this: Akris Punto - Silk Brushstoke-Print Alice Blouse - Saks.com

Here you have something subtle but still fancy enough*

*you don't need to get anything this at this price point, Ann Taylor, J. Crew, Banana Republic etc all do something similar. Or find the Calvin Klein section at your department store.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
It does actually. In my industry, c-level people rarely dress any dressier than khakis and a button down. So coming in a full formal suit, panty hose, and heels would be way too much. My CEO complained about having to wear a jacket the other day when he was doing an interview. He still wore sneakers.
Not what she needs. She is going to a C presentation to a large international company. Those C level people are going to be in high priced suits, not dressed for a small company as yours is. You are talking major hitters, far above what you are associated with.

Quote:
I agree. A button down can actually be too formal. You might be better off with a patterned work appropriate blouse. More nuanced than a shell, less stuff than a stiff button up.

Like this: Akris Punto - Silk Brushstoke-Print Alice Blouse - Saks.com
In the business world at the level she is presenting to, you are talking about the kind of dress one might wear to an after hours cocktail party. It is not suitable for a high level group of executives for an international business. When you are presenting before that level of business executive, you have to dress as if you fit in with them. Not look like you are getting ready for an after hours party. And that pattern is way too busy for a formal business presentation. It distracts from the presenter, and will hurt their presentation.

Look the part when making your presentation, or they will not pay much attention to you. A suit is required, and the right blouse has to show you are all business.

Back in my corporate days, I have been in those kind of meetings, and if the presenter was not all business, their presentation was not looked on favorably.

There is an old saying, "Don't send a boy to do a man's job". It also applies for woman.

When a man is going to present to the level she is presenting, he has to be in a good suite, a $100 tie, with highly polished shoes. He has to look professional and in charge type person. And yes, your C level audience knows if it is a good tie, or a cheap one from Sears. Dressing with a cheap tie, says I am not doing near as well and can't afford to dress suitable for the meeting. Then you have to have a fresh haircut, and a manicure. You have to look professional, and successful, or you are not going to be taken seriously.

A woman has a harder time than a man dressing for the presentation, and she has to dress all business. And as with the men, she needs to have been to see a good hair dresser in a good salon, and be styled to fit her presetation. If not, she is going to be judged down real fast. And that is the first impression. She has to walk to her place to make the presentation, in a very in charge positive manner. And knowing she looks good and professional, helps her bring it off. If she does not look professional, and have a take charge type manner when she steps to the Podium she has lost her audience before she starts, just as when a man is making he presentation. She has to look, like she belongs there making a presentation they should pay attention to. He or She has to look like they are successful, and confident in what they are going to present.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Not what she needs. She is going to a C presentation to a large international company. Those C level people are going to be in high priced suits, not dressed for a small company as yours is. You are talking major hitters, far above what you are associated with.

In the business world at the level she is presenting to, you are talking about the kind of dress one might wear to an after hours cocktail party. It is not suitable for a high level group of executives for an international business. When you are presenting before that level of business executive, you have to dress as if you fit in with them. Not look like you are getting ready for an after hours party. And that pattern is way too busy for a formal business presentation. It distracts from the presenter, and will hurt their presentation.

Look the part when making your presentation, or they will not pay much attention to you. A suit is required, and the right blouse has to show you are all business.

Back in my corporate days, I have been in those kind of meetings, and if the presenter was not all business, their presentation was not looked on favorably.

There is an old saying, "Don't send a boy to do a man's job". It also applies for woman.

When a man is going to present to the level she is presenting, he has to be in a good suite, a $100 tie, with highly polished shoes. He has to look professional and in charge type person. And yes, your C level audience knows if it is a good tie, or a cheap one from Sears. Dressing with a cheap tie, says I am not doing near as well and can't afford to dress suitable for the meeting. Then you have to have a fresh haircut, and a manicure. You have to look professional, and successful, or you are not going to be taken seriously.

A woman has a harder time than a man dressing for the presentation, and she has to dress all business. And as with the men, she needs to have been to see a good hair dresser in a good salon, and be styled to fit her presetation. If not, she is going to be judged down real fast. And that is the first impression. She has to walk to her place to make the presentation, in a very in charge positive manner. And knowing she looks good and professional, helps her bring it off. If she does not look professional, and have a take charge type manner when she steps to the Podium she has lost her audience before she starts, just as when a man is making he presentation. She has to look, like she belongs there making a presentation they should pay attention to. He or She has to look like they are successful, and confident in what they are going to present.
You didn't bother to read the chain of messages you responded to. She didn't share the industry till far down the page.

Role (of the people in your meeting) and industry matter a lot. Yes, it is required to be a lot dressier in some types of companies and meetings than others. There are location and industry specific cues. In Silicon Valley the uber fancy suit would fall flat in many meetings with tech execs. In CPG or finance the rules are different. Meeting with a CIO and CMO and CSO could also lead to different expectations.

Looking the part is context specific. Meeting at Conde Nast would require something more interesting than meeting at Bank of America. The point these days, what is 100% business like has changed even in the past decade. And you can wear more under your suit than just a solid colored button down.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
There is an old maxim in business as far as dress goes. When in doubt, dress up not down. The more important the meeting, and the longer a company has been in business, the more formal the clothing you wear should be. You can be overdressed and be accepted. But underdressed is a problem you cannot rectify later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment