Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a gender preference for your Boss?
Gal - I prefer Female Bosses 24 7.00%
Gal - I prefer Male Bosses 103 30.03%
Gal - No preference 41 11.95%
Guy - I prefer Female Bosses 22 6.41%
Guy - I prefer Male Bosses 122 35.57%
Guy - No preference 31 9.04%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 PM

56 posts, read 68,813 times

Advertisements

I voted " Gal - I prefer Male Bosses". Most definitely! Female managers are always going through something. God forbid she has baby daddy issues! Years ago I was an ast manager for a retail change and it was my day off and a friend that also worked there calling me saying that the boss just up and left, told everyone to go home 4 hours before close! She KNEW I was available if needed I only learned because my friend happened to be there so I went up got most everyone to stay and reopened the store.

All because of some baby daddy issues!

Men it's just go in, shut up, do your job and leave.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 8,602 times
Female here and I prefer a female boss. Have never had an issue with a boss but it's always been the men who want me until 8-9 PM regularly. Female bosses (I'm in Finance) have typically been better about realizing that there is life outside of the office. They've always universally been more understanding about things as well. All my male bosses had stay at home wives so they just don't understand if your kid gets sick and you need to leave early to get them from school, because they have a person who does that for them.

My female bosses liked to work from home occasionally as well and would usually tell me to do the same, which was awesome.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 3,530 times
Default As a female...

I prefer male bosses. I have two male supervisors now and they are the best. Not threatened by assertiveness or ability. They let me know what they would like done (if they even have to do that) and then they get out of my way and let me do my job. My previous female supervisor is highly insecure, squelches initiative instead of appreciating it, and is threatened by anyone who shows superior competence, meaning that she is threatened by pretty much everyone.

That being said, I once had a male supervisor who clearly preferred the women in the office that he found more attractive, and pretty much disregarded the rest. He was competent at his job but had a crappy attitude and was very volatile and juvenile, a very superficial human being. That was not fun.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Male bosses can be negotiated and reasoned with. Female bosses are set in their way.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 3,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I think you make a good point. From my personal experience the female bosses I had were not educated. One was in the logistic field where a person could climb the ladder with experience and having seniority. My female boss was insecure and actually worried I might want to move into her job. Please. If she had been rational she would realize that was the last damn thing I wanted. The other female bosses I had was in a retail store. A major chain where you could move up and make some serious money once making assistant store manager. So I am assuming it was another situation where one could claw their way to the top. I actually had one come up to me on the first day and tell me there was a new sheriff in town. The male managers could be tricky to deal with but were not as sneaky. I saw female managers whip out their cell phones and take pictures of people. Nothing like working and seeing a flash. Then turning to see what it was, and a manager walking away looking at her cell phone. Or another would actually hide behind a rack to watch employees. One time I didnt see her and plowed her down. I was stunned she was hiding behind the sportswear.

After thinking about this I recall a female manager when I first started at the store that was awesome. She was so professional and had a marketing degree. She was railroaded by other female bosses and was moved to a store 2 hrs from her home. She told me she was going back to school as she couldn't take the line of work anymore. So I dont know if education has anything to do with it. Or even one's sex. Maybe its just personality. Arent most people that want to be in charge Type A personalities? I am a gal and dont want to bash women. I truly believe a woman can do a great job as a boss, unfortunately I haven't met one yet for the long haul. I hope to someday.
I work in the logistics field as well and it's a field where you can indeed work your way up the ladder and make serious money without having earned a college degree. I feel like the educational level of supervisors makes a big difference to me. The ones that never went to college AND never traveled outside of the area had a limited world view and that, in part, made them uninteresting and somewhat more inflexible than, say, someone who traveled after high school, moved away to another state on their own, or went to college. Male or female, being supervised by someone with a limited frame of reference is a challenge...IN MY OPINION.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:55 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Recently had a female manager say "This area looks bad" so I said "OK, I'll fix it" I went out, looked it over and left it alone. She comes along 2 hours later and says "Looks great"...So I realize she wasn't saying it for a reason, just to have a power trip moment I guess.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I've had many more female bosses and actually I have much more better experiences with female bosses than male bosses for whatever reason. For some reason men don't have the understanding portion that I look for in a boss because a lot of things are not black and white and I don't live in a black and white world (world view.) FYI, I am a guy.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:10 PM

84 posts, read 71,819 times
Gal--no preference. I've had good and bad bosses of both genders.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:57 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaNYC View Post
Gal--no preference. I've had good and bad bosses of both genders.
Same here. If I were to make up a list of my top five bosses of all time (including military superiors), the list would have two women and three men (the men have a slight advantage in that I've had more male bosses than female bosses, overall.)

My two absolute worst bosses were one of each--one man, one woman.

An overwhelming number of my bosses were 'middle of the road'--not horrible, and not great.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
In general, as a female, I prefer male bosses. Nearly every female boss I've ever had was a micro-manager. The males have tended to be a little more laid back. Just my experience though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment