Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,619 times

Advertisements

when... they make you work OT daily and weekends (60 hours a week) with no OT pay because you're "Salary" and "have no limit amount of time worked".

and

when...you out perform every in your department for over a year and still aren't seeing any salary increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 PM

275 posts, read 185,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFerraroOlympic View Post
when... they make you work OT daily and weekends (60 hours a week) with no OT pay because you're "Salary" and "have no limit amount of time worked".

and

when...you out perform every in your department for over a year and still aren't seeing any salary increase.
ah I think I worked at the same place!

When the VP finance, who hired you two weeks ago, quits after a huge fight with the CEO and you are the main contact for the Americas financial data, and you are a senior accountant
When such CEO screams at you (red face, spitting out, big vein in the neck) because you refuse to reimburse his expenses until he follows company approval policy....

When after two quarterly town halls where immediate lay offs are announced and executed (you were going back to your cube hoping not to see HR waiting for you), the third town hall is announced and everybody is scared about its content, but the first thing you hear is the VP of HR saying that you should all grow up, and be professional, and not think that all announcements are going to be lay offs and then proceed to announce lay offfs! oh and during halloween that HR VP dresses up as the grim reaper...

Old 01-29-2016, 10:04 PM

388 posts, read 474,086 times
The boss is a business and employment lawyer.

He makes people work overtime with no OT pay and lots of other things.

The IRS catches on and issues a warning "no second chances." Boss continues to abuse employees.

That's when I left.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:38 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
When they throw a pitchfork at you ,,,not once but THREE TIMES.. I was desperate even though I hated this particular race trainer ( thoroughbreds) I still wanted the job . After that last time I quit . ONLY JOB since working that I ever quit .

Old 01-30-2016, 05:24 AM

55 posts, read 45,307 times
My husband used to work for a s**t employer. I don't know if I wrote about this on this thread already (I don't think I have). He worked a manual labor job that never gave him a raise during the entire time he was there, nor made him a permanent employee (he obtained the job through a temp agency). They kept making empty promises, probably just to string him along so he'd stay working for them, especially since he was versatile and able to be moved around from department to department without receiving the full pay that other employees made. When I looked up online reviews about this particular company, other people wrote in that the company would frequently post openings for various positions within the company, but those positions almost never got filled. I question if the company only posted those openings to give false hope to their underpaid employees and temps, as a way of stringing them along.

The absolute worst was the way the company outcasted their temps during holiday parties, retirement parties, etc held at the workplace. They would hold employee birthday and/or retirement parties in the workplace's cafeteria, and literally kick out the temps during lunch time, since temps were never invited to parties being held at work. The temps had to eat lunch in their cars -- or for the ones who didn't have cars, they had to eat their lunch outside in the cold -- while all the perm employees had cake and a party inside. For another party, the company shut down operations for the entire afternoon. This was a good thing for the perm employees, because this meant they'd get paid to attend a work party for half the day. However, this was a bad thing for the temps because they were essentially forced to leave and accept an unpaid afternoon, since they were not invited to the party. Talk about cattiness, pettiness, high school "clique mentality," etc. Oh and this is a male-dominated workplace too...like some people have said on different sites, sometimes guys can be even more gossipy, outcasting, and cutthroat than females lol.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 AM

3,329 posts, read 2,136,915 times
When you gloat about being "a good, successful, Christian employer who supports the local community" despite the fact that your home-based S-Corp relies exclusively on desperate independent contractors and legal subversion of wage laws to facilitate your indulgent lifestyle.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:20 AM

1,090 posts, read 579,642 times
When they lay people off without a single clue to how those people did what they did, then a year later you're still trying to figure it out.

When you are constantly interrupted from your mountain of work to do petty, trivial things that upper management needs done ASAP, despite having no capable tools to perform said tasks.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM

264 posts, read 190,950 times
When certain people in the office get a party for merely sneezing or walking in the door, and you, after being there 6.5 years, don't even get a congrats, good bye, thank you for all your hard work - nothing - after giving your notice.

Good riddance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
When they lay people off without a single clue to how those people did what they did, then a year later you're still trying to figure it out.
That's the boat my replacement will be in. I asked multiple times, would you like this or that? Offered to train, offered to finish an intensive project I was involved in. Was snubbed and ignored. Okey-dokey

Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFerraroOlympic View Post

and

Thats probably 95 percent of the private sector today sadly.. :roll eyes:

There really needs to be federal rules put in place for this type of abuse in some way.. How can companies get away with this type of thing and the abuse is only getting WORSE.

Quite the opposite is happening today now that "corporations are people". Give people an inch they'll take a mile.

I believe there should be no exempt status unless you're in the higher upper management chain where you really are compensated for your hours.

There should be no exempt middle management positions because those positions generally only pay 35-60 grand a year on average (Depending on the company)

Old 02-03-2016, 09:44 AM

1,090 posts, read 579,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
When certain people in the office get a party for merely sneezing or walking in the door, and you, after being there 6.5 years, don't even get a congrats, good bye, thank you for all your hard work - nothing - after giving your notice.
You think that's bad? A former co-worker of mine "retired" last summer after 25 years at the company. It was usually traditional for the company to at least have a luncheon when people left, but she got absolutely nothing. (I suspect, though, that she left on bad terms -- and why not, given how this company takes advantage of everyone...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment