Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Your boss who is a millionaire who owns several apartment buildings free and clear in the SF Bay Area, has given the same $200 bonus to all of his resident managers for the past 30 years - regardless of inflation or performance. Along with Costco food: a case of canned tuna, a bag of Cuties oranges and a case of Orville Reddenbacher popcorn.

The first year I worked for him, I increased his profits by about $30,000 on the one property I managed.

After 8 years, the profits continued. Every year I got $200 - same as his underperforming managers, and my tuna and Cuties. And he was completely baffled as to why I decided to retire, because I had such a good deal with my "free" apartment - and no salary. And was on call 24/7.

He couldn't believe I'd rather live in subsidized senior apartments in the boonies.

Oh yeah, and my severance package? $200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:42 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
...when your illiterate foreman calls a meeting to determine who dropped the unflushable log in the toilet.

That was 15 years ago. But more importantly- I didn't do it!

The pampered office-dwellers I work with these days have no idea what it's like out there...

Old 12-16-2015, 10:11 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
...You erroneously receive a packet from a group of lawyers who represent the owner of the building, replying to your company's request to terminate their lease 3 years early and lay off everyone.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I once worked for a company years ago, who paid for a holiday dinner, but served ham or a vegetarian plate. Talk about cheap!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I worked for a couple of months for a mobile home park owner, who rented out all of the mobile homes. His maintenance staff were Mexican. He had an employee lunch once a month, in which the Mexican workers prepared the meal, then ate at a separate table in the same room as the administrative staff who sat at a separate table in the same small room, and expected the Mexican workers to also serve them.

I wasn't sure where to sit and the owner waved me over to the administrator table, with him, his son, the bookkeeper, the property manager and me. The owner thought he was the Great Benefactor because he paid for the food the Mexican workers then had to prepare and serve, and clean up. And he thought he was being generous by "providing" a "free" employee lunch.

I've never been so mortified in my entire life.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:29 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Back when I was a broke college student, I took a job (briefly) at a small company that hadn't paid their electric bill in a long time. During my first week there, the power was shut off. Fortunately, it was in the late spring, so no heat or a/c was needed.

The owner ran several hundred feet of extension cords to neighbors so we could power two typewriters. We worked by daylight, and one of my jobs was to drive to the copy center once a day to make copies of stuff. As I recall, I got a better offer a few weeks later and moved on. They were still without power. I think they kept going about another two months before tossing in the towel.

Recently, I was looking for a second job and ran across a small business that required everyone to use their own laptop and cell phone for work. As soon as I heard that, I made tracks for the exit. Last time I looked, the office they had rented was vacant.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:33 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
If the company cannot buy your toilet paper be prepared to lose the job when the company declares Chapter 13. If the boss won't even spend his own money to get some for you that's no place to be working.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:43 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
...they can't hire anyone and when they do the turnover is within a few weeks.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:59 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I once worked for a company years ago, who paid for a holiday dinner, but served ham or a vegetarian plate. Talk about cheap!
I've never worked at a place that served "holiday dinner." And i used to work on Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years. Every year.

I'd have taken your veggie plate!

Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
When you win a swank basket of food from a hospital conglomerate for having the most referrals to their psych hospitals that quarter.....

.... When you come back from doing 10 hours of even more evaluations and more hospital referrals, more fighting with insurance companies, more manipulative addicts, being in the freezing 10 inches of snow with no boots because you planned on being IN the office all day, and you are REALLY REEEEALY HUNGRY because you don't eat while you work so you can "squeeze in" as many evals for your company as possible....

.....You find out that your boss, your boss's boss, and everyone you manage on-site ATE THE ENTIRE BASKET!! And you forgot your dinner.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment