Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 AM

1,188 posts, read 953,817 times

Advertisements

Anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?

"I'm completely swamped with work for the rest of the month"

but they come in late, spend most of their time in meetings or socializing with other coworkers, then leave early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM

34,834 posts, read 30,905,811 times
I think everyone does this from to time to time, but yeah, it's fairly commonplace here.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,099,766 times
We are rarely swamped with work in my group since there aren't enough QA people to get everything tested on our short release cycles. Since they're the bottleneck, it severely limits the amount of work I can do. I finish my coding assignments within a couple of days and twiddle my thumbs for hours on end. No, really. I'm bored s***less. I'm looking for another job out of pure boredom.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:04 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,394,147 times
This happens all the time in corporate accounting in my experience. People will say theyre swamped, dick around for 6 hours of the day, then the day the project or whatever is due they will panic.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:06 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,275,411 times
They learned from the master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kafq7yrKAOQ

Old 12-17-2015, 01:04 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,308,446 times
I find this especially in doctors' offices. It can take as long as half a hour just to get someone to answer the phone, then they're always giggling, like they were interrupted in the middle of some joke. I've NEVER in my life been seen on time, the usual, standard wait for any appointment, even the first of the day, is 20-30 min, but you can hear them back there yakking.....Check-in and check-out you feel like you're interrupting something, as they continue to ***, and sometimes you have to interrupt their conversations to get them to do their job Try getting anything accomplished, like RX refills, insurance forms filled out, billing errors corrected, and the standard answer is "they're so busy" Busy doing what?

I've learned long ago to block off the entire morning or afternoon for a doctor's appointment, after all, the patient isn't the priority! Its a power kick, they know you're stuck there with your health issues and will wait as long as necessary, you're not going anywhere

Old 12-17-2015, 01:09 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,631,860 times
Being the supervisor of a union shop for a while I noticed a weird phenomenon that had me questioning what "lazy" really was. The union pressman would find an hour worth of little, useless, totally unnecessary chores that "had" to be done in an effort to get out of a real 20 minute job. So what is lazy? The actual effort you put forth or a state of mind?

Old 12-17-2015, 01:14 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,408,560 times
It's a mouth breathers guide to "job security".

Old 12-17-2015, 03:32 PM

22,287 posts, read 11,790,610 times
In one office where I worked, sometimes the boss would give the project managers a task that needed to be done by a deadline. The project managers then would give it to their assistants to type up and format it. My boss would often hand it to me the day before or early in the day it was due.

The other bosses would give it to their assistants in plenty of time to complete it before the end of the day. While I was working on it, the other assistants would be socializing all day long until an hour before the end of the work day. Then they would be frantically trying to put it all together. Not only that, they would announce to anyone in the area just how swamped they were. Some even complained in a staff meeting how no one offered to help them! My boss and I knew it was directed at me. Seriously, why should I offer to help them when they deliberately wasted their day socializing?

Old 12-17-2015, 04:08 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,990,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?

"I'm completely swamped with work for the rest of the month"

but they come in late, spend most of their time in meetings or socializing with other coworkers, then leave early.
A lot of people think they are always busy and the hardest working person in the office. Probably about 60-70% of people think that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment