Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:56 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times

Advertisements

Worked entire career in an office and can appreciate turkey-head's sentiments. Man, his working conditions sound like hell, but I wish I had been blessed with his skilled blue collar talents. Totally clueless when it comes to doing any kind of repair work on garden tractors, sharpening a chain saw, minor plumbing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 07:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Ok folks... I'd just like to say that I LOVE working in an office. I know... it's weird.

But I was a mechanic for YEARS prior to this second career. I worked in greasy shops with drug addict co-workers and illiterate bosses. I've rebuilt diesel engines in sub-zero weather with the snow flying. Worked on combines and oil rigs when it's 110 degrees out and no shade for two miles in any direction. Hauled illegal loads in excess of 100,000 pounds, witnessed fraud and environmental violations that could send people to prison under the right circumstances, seen co-workers pass out in the heat while we worked on agricultural equipment in the mid-day sun with no shade.

All that's over for me now. These days I wander into the office about 7:00. Chat with co-workers about ridiculous things like fresh-ground coffee or where we'll go to lunch today. Answer a couple of emails, do some design work, bull**** about the latest Star Wars movie or whatever nonsense we're talking about today. Sitting there in a pleasant 73 degrees with our comfortable, clean offices-clothes (I wore greasy uniforms for 16 YEARS). Seriously... I don't even CARE if I never get another promotion. I'll happily ride this gravy-train 'til I'm old and irrelevant. I'd do this job for a THIRD of what they're paying me. I'll NEVER go back to working in a shop if I can help it... I'd sooner be on unemployment.

You office-workers out there... count your blessings. If you're making enough to pay the bills and working in a nice air-conditioned office... you're living the good life. That college edumucaton was the best thing I ever did for my career. My only regret is that i didn't finish it 10 years earlier.
I do count my blessings. I worked at home for years and then was on the road for years. At first I found this totally boring but the people on my team are good people and friendly and welcoming. I get home at a reasonable time (hours are extremely erratic on the road) and I go out to lunch with interesting conversations; happy hours, etc . . . things you miss when working at home in your jammies. Though that WAS wonderful when my kid was young.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Ok folks... I'd just like to say that I LOVE working in an office. I know... it's weird.

But I was a mechanic for YEARS prior to this second career. I worked in greasy shops with drug addict co-workers and illiterate bosses. I've rebuilt diesel engines in sub-zero weather with the snow flying. Worked on combines and oil rigs when it's 110 degrees out and no shade for two miles in any direction. Hauled illegal loads in excess of 100,000 pounds, witnessed fraud and environmental violations that could send people to prison under the right circumstances, seen co-workers pass out in the heat while we worked on agricultural equipment in the mid-day sun with no shade.

All that's over for me now. These days I wander into the office about 7:00. Chat with co-workers about ridiculous things like fresh-ground coffee or where we'll go to lunch today. Answer a couple of emails, do some design work, bull**** about the latest Star Wars movie or whatever nonsense we're talking about today. Sitting there in a pleasant 73 degrees with our comfortable, clean offices-clothes (I wore greasy uniforms for 16 YEARS). Seriously... I don't even CARE if I never get another promotion. I'll happily ride this gravy-train 'til I'm old and irrelevant. I'd do this job for a THIRD of what they're paying me. I'll NEVER go back to working in a shop if I can help it... I'd sooner be on unemployment.

You office-workers out there... count your blessings. If you're making enough to pay the bills and working in a nice air-conditioned office... you're living the good life. That college edumucaton was the best thing I ever did for my career. My only regret is that i didn't finish it 10 years earlier.
Turkey head, I can appreciate what you're saying. I wouldn't trade working in my climate controlled conditions for anything - and it sounds like you worked in some miserable conditions; however, having said that I am afraid you have grossly mischaracterized office "work." You described someone who is riding gravy train, and not producing much. For every employee who describes their workday in the terms you described, there are six other busting their butts.

BTW, are you saying there was no coffee drinking and shutting the breeze that went on in the shop? Surely you jest. No doubt, office work is different than physical labor; but they call it "work" for a reason.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:25 AM

838 posts, read 1,352,943 times
Working in an office gets old just like any other job. I sometimes wish I had a job where I could work outside some days.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:43 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Working in an office gets old just like any other job. I sometimes wish I had a job where I could work outside some days.
There is something attractive about taking a week vacation, and not coming back to 1,000 emails, 20 voice mails, and a full in-box isn't there? lol

Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Not everyone is cut out for office work, just like not everyone can be a CEO.

I do applaud his success, but like he said "Should have done it 10 years ago" which shows lack of motivation then...
Exactly. I have a cousin, who to be frank is not intelligent and never had much use for school, who really enjoys being a police officer. He's out and about and not sedentary.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:56 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
True. This post puts things in perspective.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:36 AM

838 posts, read 1,352,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
There is something attractive about taking a week vacation, and not coming back to 1,000 emails, 20 voice mails, and a full in-box isn't there? lol
You aren't kidding.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Well yes, every time I'm out there mowing the lawn in 90F+ heat, I thank my lucky stars I am not a full-time landscaper. So yes, of course you'd prefer a desk job in light of facing the elements or really hard labor.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Not everyone is cut out for office work, just like not everyone can be a CEO.

I do applaud his success, but like he said "Should have done it 10 years ago" which shows lack of motivation then...
This is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment