Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,932 times

Advertisements

My dad has been working 15 yrs for this big company (I'm not sure if I should name them) and recently they've instituted a safety self-report to the way they calculate an employee's bonus. In past years this hasn't been the case, and for those he's made upwards of 3k at times. But now with the new self-report requirement my dad, who isn't good at English, has made less than half of what he use to. There is justification for a complaint here because in the 15 years he's worked there he has never had an accident. The self-report is even more dubious considering some of the people my dad works with, white guys with good English and an imperfect safety record, are making the regular 3k for the bonus this year while other employees, who did not fill out a safety report, are, honestly, ripped off. My dad puts in extra hours and is very hard-working, but this recent incident has discouraged him from trying his usual best. I didn't want to go directly to the company because the claim is inherently biased, but the facts are there. Also he wants me to go in with some kind of prejudicial stance, claiming discriminatory practices against those with less than proficient English (foreigners), which does sound too caustic but if it comes to that...I would love to hear any thoughts you guys might have about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 09:09 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Not worth the time/risk...

I would say that he probably should not risk his job, or future bonuses with a complaint. Even if he has facts, the bonuses are not really that much, an attorney would eat up 3K in no time. I say that because you would need an attorney, and most attorneys are not going to get involved with such a low amount.

I do not doubt that your father deserves a bonus, but just making a big deal of a small amount could do more damage than it is worth. You have to sort of sit back, let things settle down, and move on. The company can make any complaint seem trivial, and as long as the company does not violate any of the five protected categories, they can simply fire your father for any reason, really. Don't risk it.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:22 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,334 times
In 15 years he hasn't been able to pick up good English? That shows laziness in professional development. Maybe his stubborn attitude against learning English is to blame for no bonus.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
A bonus is just that-- something extra. If he received anything this year he should be kissing his employers ass. For a couple of minutes anyway.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:48 PM

292 posts, read 547,612 times
If l, as you say, he did not get a full bonus because he didn't fill out the safety reports, then he has only himself to blame. It matters not if other employees have a bad or worse safety record, he did not full what is needed of him as outline by the requirements to get the full bonus.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Get a lawyer if you want to fight it, but expect to pay for it. It will eat away at that bonus in just a few hours. You might have him get some legal advice for English as second language citizens. I am sure there is a program like that. Maybe ask in the legal section here on CD.

Also, filling out paperwork is part of the job. Why not help your father learn how to fill it out correctly so he can get bonuses in the future.

Hard work, honesty, and diligence are not going to get him a bonus if he doesn't fill out the required paperwork. Big business is full of red tape and requirements that may seem silly, but they deem meaningful.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Why would you be complaining instead of your father? As you noted, he is not filling out his safety sheets, so he is not doing all of his job. How does a guy who has been working here for at least 15 years still have poor English skills? A bonus is just that.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:28 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Working hard is wonderful.

Working smart is how you get paid.

Your Dad needs to figure that out. Play the game. Go above and beyond what is expected in areas where management is "watching". If safety reports are important, I would be the best damned safety report preparer in the land.

Kiss some butt. Make yourself an important part of the process. Suddenly bonuses and promotions will follow.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:36 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyendaniel View Post
... are making the regular 3k for the bonus this year while other employees, who did not fill out a safety report, are, honestly, ripped off.
Well, there you go.
Fill out the safety report next year!

You do not complain about a bonus. You are grateful if you even get one, as many do not.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:53 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
How does a guy who has been working here for at least 15 years still have poor English skills?
It happens and not just to immigrants. I know people who were born here and lived here their entire lives and still can't write a report in English. If you've been working with your hands for your whole life and suddenly you get required to write-up a lot of things, that's a very rough transition even if the writing is in a language you have used your whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment