Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is butt-kissing necessary?
Most of the time/Essential 27 50.00%
Some of the time/Case-by-case 17 31.48%
Never/Not worth it 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 06:33 AM

38 posts, read 34,792 times

Advertisements

Self-explanatory question. Also consider the following conditions -examples but not limited to:

Managers:

-When someone tries to kiss butt, how does your opinion of them change?

-Are you consciously aware of your new attitude towards them?

-If they have skills that you need, is it more acceptable than someone who doesn't?

-Will you play along their game but not give them what they seek- whether it be praise, promotions, raises, etc.?

Non-managers:
-Technical role vs non-technical (i.e. coding vs sales)- are different jobs/industries more susceptible to sycophant behavior

-Does your work alone speak for itself or do you need a higher-up to "market" your achievements?

-Your opinion towards a coworker who can walk the walk while also talking the talk. (i.e. they can back up their butt kissing with quality work) vs plain ol' butt muncher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 07:16 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
I once joked to my boss that I kissed a lot of butts to get to where I am. He said don't say that because that makes him feel bad. He knows my work are unimpeachable.

My attitude about it is this. It doesn't hurt to get along well with your boss and coworkers. I'm a middle manager so I have to deal with upper managers as well as subordinates, and for real it doesn't hurt to get along with your boss and your subs.

In fact, I can't stand people who don't get along with the main group. They make things hard for everyone.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:28 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
We're social creatures. We want to be liked, and enjoy relationships. That said, there's often a fine line between a good working relationship vs. butt kissing. Especially from an outsider's perspective.

To me, I don't want a "yes" man/woman. I prefer someone who I can trust and rely on. Someone who's not afraid to point out mistakes. And look to be the same for others. Of course, we all have different personalities/characteristics. And we each go about these things differently.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:43 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My attitude about it is this. It doesn't hurt to get along well with your boss and coworkers. I'm a middle manager so I have to deal with upper managers as well as subordinates, and for real it doesn't hurt to get along with your boss and your subs.

In fact, I can't stand people who don't get along with the main group. They make things hard for everyone.

Getting alone isn't butt kissing. Butt kissing is the act of lying or otherwise telling the boss things he wants to hear for the sole purpose of making the boss feel good so that he helps you over better workers, regardless of the actual consequences for the business. Butt kissers tell the emperor how grand his clothes are.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:08 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
As a manager, if someone kisses my butt, I have no need for them. What I need are people who utilize their professional expertise to present options to me. I might not always do what they recommend but they know I will consider their recommendation.

The other thing I have no need for are contrarians. Its one thing to question a strategy, but once a decision is made (assuming it is legal, moral and ethical) its time to get on board with the team. The people who oppose everything simply to be the contrarian are as worthless as the sycophant.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:52 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
We're social creatures. We want to be liked, and enjoy relationships. That said, there's often a fine line between a good working relationship vs. butt kissing. Especially from an outsider's perspective.
The line seems to lie more in the definition of working relationship vs butt kissing. There are people on here that think even the most basic civilized interaction is the act of butt kissing.

Quote:
To me, I don't want a "yes" man/woman. I prefer someone who I can trust and rely on. Someone who's not afraid to point out mistakes. And look to be the same for others. Of course, we all have different personalities/characteristics. And we each go about these things differently.
I think this is what most managers want, and what most employees want to be. What jealous people tend to see is 'Oh, that guy gets along with his/her manager, who is always relying on him/her for advice. Must be a butt kisser.'

Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
There is an inverse correlation between one's level of competence and the level of sycophancy required to makeup for any lack thereof.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:49 AM

930 posts, read 700,328 times
Yes. I believe it does to some extent. Social events play a relatively significant role at my current employer. It's almost considered blasphemy if you don't go to most of them.

I typically go because I enjoy going out on the company's dime. But I have a co-worker who has family who rarely goes. I have another co-worker who's dealing with a chronic illness who usually doesn't attend the social events. My manager has often times brought this up as if it was insulting that they did not attend.

All things equal (skill set, experience, etc.), I think those personalities who mend well with the higher-ups tend to out pace others in terms of career growth.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:56 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
The OP is being needlessly adversarial with the poll. Getting along isn't butt kissing.

As a manager I tolerate, and to some extent encourage, dissent and questioning, because a variety of opinions and knowledge is useful in making correct, informed decisions.

Once a decision has been made my tolerance for disagreement goes way down, as it generally doesn't serve any productive purpose.

At no point do I want hollow praise. I can see it happening, and I won't promote anybody whose chief attribute is butt-kissing. Now, if they are a solid performer that meets all goals, they will get promoted whether or not they are full of praise.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:01 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
I would say more like ALL the time. Haven't seen anyone rise through the ranks to high levels of corporate america that didn't plant their lips on backsides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment