U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 08:15 AM

5,169 posts, read 2,617,264 times

Advertisements

One of my problems is I still struggle with insecurities.

5 months ago, someone from a much larger firm than the company I was working with approached me and asked for my updated resume. She also linked me to the job she thought I'd be perfect for. When I looked at the job title and the requirements, what struck me the most was at least 7 years of experience in management. I had a lot less. Like, A LOT. I seriously came this close to not sending in my resume. My boyfriend had to push me and said what's the worst that could happen? So, I went ahead and gave her my resume. Got an interview 4 days later and got an offer letter the following day with a 50% pay increase. If I had followed through with my insecurities, I would not have ended with this job. It's a dream job with the highest pay and most benefits I have ever had.

Fast forward to last week. End of year reviews of performance were in. Mine was glowing on all fronts. I excitedly told my boyfriend and he said why not ask for a raise? I told him they gave me a 50% raise 5 months ago, and I've only been with them 5 months. He nagged and nagged and nagged from last week to this week. I finally said ok ok I'll ask my regional manager. The following day I went into my regional manager's office. I was scared and insecure. I asked him if I could have a raise since my performance reviews were really good on all fronts. He smiled and said sure. He also thanked me for my hard work.

Last night, my boyfriend reminded me that without him I would have missed out 2 opportunities to leap frog in my career. And it's true.

Learn from my mistakes, people. It doesn't hurt to strive for more. Like my boyfriend said, the worst that could happen is they say no.

If you have a significant other, tell that person to be pushy with you when it's time for that promotion, raise, or some other opportunity. It helps having another perspective pushing you to go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:08 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,685,647 times
My wife was offered to take over someone's business. It was a business with little overhead and the business was bringing in roughly somewhere between $150K to $200K a year and she too refused to do it. I begged, pleaded, begged, pleaded to no avail. She said "no" and it was the end of it.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 PM

5,169 posts, read 2,617,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
My wife was offered to take over someone's business. It was a business with little overhead and the business was bringing in roughly somewhere between $150K to $200K a year and she too refused to do it. I begged, pleaded, begged, pleaded to no avail. She said "no" and it was the end of it.
What was her reason for not taking it?

Old 12-26-2015, 01:26 PM

257 posts, read 448,301 times
Nice job MetroWord! I'm the type of person like your boyfriend, where I always want more more more and am not afraid to ask! LOL! I have to tell my girl friends at work who have amazing work ethic, to ask our company for more money; a closed mouth doesn't get fed! They are all so insecure and scared that the company will fire them if they ask for more money!

I also, have been at my most current gig for 5 months. I recently (last week) got promoted and when they told me the amount of raise they're willing to offer me, I all but laughed in their face! I told them the number that I'd like, and they tried to say "well you're due for your yearly raise in June, so if we give you this amount, that may effect the raise we give you, come June". Uh huh, sure. Trust me, I'm not worried about that, in the least.

I admit, I've been in the workforce for 16 years (since I was 15) and I know the corporate "game". A lot of my colleagues are still getting used to it. Anyway, point is, this is VERY good advice. The company knows your worth, but you have to be willing to ask them to compensate you accordingly, and many times they will!

Congrats and I hope you keep this in mind for future opportunities!

Old 12-26-2015, 10:55 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,685,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
What was her reason for not taking it?
Not to be mean or speak ill of my wife but my wife is not a leader. She's passive and a follower. Never wanted to lead. Her dream job is to be a house wife.

This business is somewhat complicated. Not something she would have any passion doing it as an owner. She was okay being an employee, assisting but not as an owner.

I understand her situation. She just wasn't cut out for it. She just happens to be at the right place, right time. Just the wrong person. She declined and it was later offered to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or