Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
What you should do is go to the Far East and find a Buddhist Temple. Then, for the next several years immerse yourself in learning Kung Fu from a seemingly evil and angry Kung Fu Master, who you find out that in the end, was being nasty and subjecting you to evil types of things that one would hardly consider training...did it for your own good and only wanted you to develop your own mastery of the ancient combat art, which is only accessible through that type of training.

After those years, travel back to the hotel and find that boss of yours and thrash him in front of his girlfriend.

Edit: Make sure to bring a recording of an inspirational song to play while you are thrashing him. And, a large group of supporters to cheer you while the showdown occurs. And make sure his boss is watching so you can get your job back in the end.

Best of luck.
Enjoyed your post and very humorous. Too bad it's not that easy. Have you ever thought of going into comedy writing? Thanks for the chuckle of the day. Just between you and me,wouldn't it be great if we really could do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:36 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
OP, here's my experience in this.

Different managers have different priorities. This is why every time I start working for a new manager I try to find out what he expects and what his priorities are.

I'm actually a middle manager. One time there was this guy that was reassigned to me. I gave him an assignment. It was easy. Just go out to the construction site and do some measurements. Then come back to the office and crank out a quick report on it. To me, it shouldn't have taken more than an hour to measure and 20 minutes to crank out the report.

He spent 3 hours out there. When he finally came back, he started working on his report. 4 hours later, he was still sitting there doing something. I was beginning to get curious. So, I went over to his desk and asked what he was doing. He showed me. The guy was drawing out the most beautiful, most up-to-scale field notes imaginable. He hadn't even started on the report. He was still drawing out the field notes. He was even drawing out bolders, bushes, and other small landmarks around the construction site.

In other words, he just wasted a whole work day drawing the most perfect scratch notes.

I wasn't angry. I was just perplexed where he got this from. To me, a field note is a field note. Just free-hand something and move on to the next task. I'm trying to run a $15 million project and the deadline was in 2 months. How the hell were we going to finish if this guy kept spending entire work days drawing up the most perfect scratch notes?

Then a couple weeks ago, I actually met his old boss. Finally figured out what he was doing that. His old boss demanded that all the people working under him turn in the most perfect, drawn to-scale field notes.

Moral of the story is you have to be adaptable to different priorities if you want to be successful.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:09 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tired and angry View Post
You did not read my first post very carefully because you would have seen that everyone said I was great when I reported to my first boss.

What would you expect those who work for you or with you to say to your face?? There is no winning working at a hotel front desk. Often you are the one in the middle trying to keep guests and management happy in situations totally out of your control.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:57 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
What you should do is go to the Far East and find a Buddhist Temple. Then, for the next several years immerse yourself in learning Kung Fu from a seemingly evil and angry Kung Fu Master, who you find out that in the end, was being nasty and subjecting you to evil types of things that one would hardly consider training...did it for your own good and only wanted you to develop your own mastery of the ancient combat art, which is only accessible through that type of training.

After those years, travel back to the hotel and find that boss of yours and thrash him in front of his girlfriend.

Edit: Make sure to bring a recording of an inspirational song to play while you are thrashing him. And, a large group of supporters to cheer you while the showdown occurs. And make sure his boss is watching so you can get your job back in the end.

Best of luck.
Don't you mean...

"Best of luck, Grasshopper"?

Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tired and angry View Post
I was working for a major hotel chain as the front desk supervisor. The coworkers and the people who reported to me loved me and respected me and my work. I was told my organizational and management skills were terrific and I could walk on water if necessary. It made me feel great and encouraged me to work even harder and commit myself to the company.

My boss then retired and was replaced with a new manager. The new boss was a hot shot cocky guy in his early 30s. From the moment he took over he told me I could never do anything right. I was given many oral warnings for things that were value judgements or subjective decisions that seemed logical to me. (A manager makes a hundred decisions a day and there is no right or wrong way to accomplish the task in most cases.) Eventually the oral warnings were replaced by written warnings and a formal performance improvement plan. All complaints were subjective and based on how he would do it if he were in my shoes. But his statements and solutions were illogical and not based on a total understanding of how things were done in the industry. I was called an idiot when I tried to explain my reasons for the decisions.

I tried to go to HR for help and that just made it worse. A few weeks later I was fired for gross incompetence.

How could someone go from the company superstar to fired idiot so quickly?
Worst mistake was going to HR.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:00 PM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
Jesus had this problem but he wasn't tempted by the second guy

Old 01-03-2016, 03:38 PM

245 posts, read 382,480 times
I knew were this was going when you said new manager. You might have impressed the old manager but he's no longer there. The new manager has his own style and ideas. Remember the story of Joseph in the Bible where he became the vicar of Egypt basically the 2nd in command. Then a new Pharoah came into power and Joseph and his siblings went back to being slaves.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:20 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
OP may be old, tired and angry, but he sure is likable.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment