Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:54 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Do you work medical? Most professional careers if they are worth having you set your own schedule ....
No. Not true.

No. 1 rule of keeping a job: Show up ("On time" is a given.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 03:13 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
I don't know about you but growing up being able to set your own schedule was more coveted than a raise (depending on the amount of course).

Is that not a thing anymore or are you the owner trying to squeeze your employees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No. Not true.

No. 1 rule of keeping a job: Show up ("On time" is a given.)

Old 12-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I don't know about you but growing up being able to set your own schedule was more coveted than a raise (depending on the amount of course).
In what kind of jobs do you think this is a standard?

Old 12-30-2015, 03:35 PM

Basicly any professional office job, there will be critical meetings and events that require you be somewhere at a certain time but not most of the time if it is one of the coveted jobs that allows you to set your own schedule.

This would not apply to ER doctors or nurses who are on call etc.

I have known people to leave money on the table to avoid a potential draconian schedule.

Quote:
In what kind of jobs do you think this is a standard?

Old 12-30-2015, 03:50 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
You don't have to have "legendary sexual prowess" to have this happen. I've skipped classes and one shift at an hourly job to hang around in bed with my very average college BFs. So I would hold off on the nicknames.

The term for HER, though, is "dumb*ss."

Perfect answer. The entire internet and all its sordid contents are now yours.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Basicly any professional office job, there will be critical meetings and events that require you be somewhere at a certain time but not most of the time if it is one of the coveted jobs that allows you to set your own schedule.

This would not apply to ER doctors or nurses who are on call etc.

I have known people to leave money on the table to avoid a potential draconian schedule.
Not every professional office job works that way. If you get to that level, you don't really have a "boss."

Old 12-30-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Perfect answer. The entire internet and all its sordid contents are now yours.
Lucky me!

I don't feel like going in to the office today. **yawn**

Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Dumbass is a very fitting title. It also sounds like this has happened more than once for her, as otherwise she would have got off with a warning if this was a first offense.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:07 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Do you work medical? Most professional careers if they are worth having you set your own schedule otherwise why would a highly motivated person choose that line of work. Setting your own schedule is a huge intangible benefit that most highly motivated people are looking for.

so yes, if you are working your career for over a decade and you cant show up at 10am a little more than once in a while then your doing something wrong. I will agree 12:30 is a little rediculus unless its only once in a while and you don't bill for that morning. I suppose if she had some important meeting or other dead line and did that its a different deal, but just time keeping for its own sake is draconian and that employer will have high turn over.
I don't know where you are or what field you're in, but I've never seen this. I don't think it's the norm in any part of America where I've ever lived. My employers have always expected to know when I'm going to be there and work a fairly standardized schedule, even if they are willing to work with me on adjusting it for my family needs or something, it's not something you can just randomly do whenever you want, you have to talk to them first.

And billing for that morning?

I've been hourly, I've been salary, I've never billed for my work or time.

Are you in another country?

I work in energy management/accounting/auditing/analytics (by the way.) Not the medical profession, and definitely an office job. I also worked for a large bank, one of the largest, and they were more draconian about punctuality than any other employer I ever had.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:12 PM

But if your going to slave for a career I cant understand why this would not be a major goal. The only other angle would be to tolerate a draconian schedule but bank HUGE money and retire VERY early.

Otherwise why not just work an irresponsible job and enjoy life. The "career path" has to have upsides otherwise you will find there is a shortage of people willing to do it or train for it. At least in my circle, making your own schedule is a BIG deal, you still have work targets and responsibilities but its flexible.

The people that I know if they have not reached the "make your own schedule" level then they are angling towards that either through negotiations or changing employers etc. Often times leaving money on the table to not be treated like a sled dog.

I also know a lot of people that are working hard to go part time so they can roll into work at 10 or 11am and still leave at 4 or 5. That is the dream schedule right there.

Quote:
Not every professional office job works that way. If you get to that level, you don't really have a "boss."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment