Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

If you have a crap job with no opportunity to advance there is no reason to hustle. You do what you need to do to keep the job. Plus these jobs are very hard on the worker(physically) and everyone only has so much to give before something wears out and has to be fixed. Since these jobs have no insurance or time off, it's in the worker's best interest to do just what is required.

You may be just fine today but down the road you will have problems if you keep these jobs for too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 01:26 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
When I was in my 20s I thought nothing of climbing down three scaffold sections any time I forgot a tool or something I needed. I always wondered why this made the older guys so grumpy.

Now I know.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:10 PM

930 posts, read 700,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
I think government makes a lot of people lazy. People nowadays have an entitlement mentality and know they can rely on government benefits instead of working. You take those benefits away, you will start to see people getting hungry and wanting to work for they can eat. Then you will see people hustling again to survive.
You know what, you're right. We should start by cutting social security and medicare, the two biggest entitlement programs this country has. That'll show them old bootstrappers to stop sucking this country dry.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:47 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Work smarter, not harder.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:30 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Really? How do you know that? Or did you just assume?
It has worked for me. Good reputation, getting things done = great references. Great reputation means people fight to get you. And fight to keep you. Not all careers and companies are out to get their employees. A good company knows it cannot win without their employees.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Work smarter, not harder.
Buy low, sell high.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It has worked for me. Good reputation, getting things done = great references. Great reputation means people fight to get you. And fight to keep you. Not all careers and companies are out to get their employees. A good company knows it cannot win without their employees.
I don't know if that was what the OP meant. I think it was go and network (among other things.) I do agree personally with your comment though. I got a transfer and every once in a while I still fill in my previous role because it don't conflict and I work enough to be full time but not that I have overtime.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Companies keep and promote people who are good. It's that simple. If you are indispensable, your company will find a way to keep you. Indispensable workers are those who anticipate needs. They don't have to be told what to do. They anticipate problems and already handle it before it becomes an issue or they can think outside the box and take over. These type of individuals are rare. It's a combination of work ethic, intelligence and yes their background (were they raised well by good parents).

A lot of what you are reading on this thread is loser talk. Only losers would justify being lazy or working less hard. It means they haven't been promoted and are still working at the same crummy job for years. They think they do everything right and the problem is their company or supervisor when in reality they are the problem.

Basically, it's fairly simple, if you want extrordinary rewards then you have to provide extraordinary effort. The problem is people want to be average yet receive extraordinary rewards. It doesn't work that way.

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. "Hustling" ie (working hard, being innovative, anticipating needs) is YOUR JOB. It's not a choice. If you think it's a choice, it means you have a bad work ethic. Maybe if I helped you realize you have a bad work ethic, you can hopefully do something about it now.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:43 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
Why doesn't EVERYBODY 'hustle' ?

I would assume that it's because not EVERYONE is at the exact same point in their lives, as you are in yours.

We are not 'machines'...we are only HUMAN, and therefore subject to all the weaknesses of the mind, body and spirit that go along with the 'human-condition' here on planet Earth, for the short time we are 'assigned' here.

Some people are 'natural sprinters', they have the 'GitterDoneAndGitAfterIt'' mentality and/or are blessed with the ability to actually DO it.

Some of us are 'long distance runners', which means we have learned (or are FORCED to) PACE ourselves accordingly, to maintain our energy for the long-haul, so that we have a respectful 'finishing-kick' at the end. (ie: retirement) and depending upon where each and every one of us is at that particular point in our lives, we may or may not have come to the time-honored understanding that 'the race isn't necessarily ALWAYS won by the 'swift', but rather by those who 'pace' themselves, and STICK WITH IT.

It's all a matter of perspective, and priorities.

1) "There is more to life than increasing it's speed"

2) "No matter how hard (or fast) you push the envelope, it'll still remain stationary"

And for those who are so seemingly 'obscessed' with ensuring that others notice how 'fast' or how 'hard' they are pushing themselves (on and off the clock) I offer this piece of (hopefully) helpful advice:

3) "You wouldn't worry about what others think of you, if you could know how seldom they do"

And for those 'uber hyper-tensive idiots' who don't know any better than to run around like chipmunks with their tails on fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PleFw1gZ8GM

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times
I am an old Autistic lady. I am retired and now in the first steps of setting up a physical intentional Autistic community within an already existin one in Pueblo Colorado. I am doing this for MANY reasons. One of them, though, is so that the younger Autistic can learn the art of the hustle.

Hustling is NOT something that we have been taught. Our mega big successes have been with those not diagnosed as young and having a mind bent towards IT, such as steve Jobs and Bill Gates.I know 2 women with doctorates who are working for the Goodwill. One man with a doctorate who is living on ssi. A few of us can hack it a while in the fast food business, and when factory workers went overseas that is what took away the last of the high functioning Autistics means of support for many.

Autistic people experience and perceive things so terribly differently than a neurotypical [non-autistic] does. communication and social skills for one thing. Supposedly we are bereft social skills. This is true when dealing with neurotypicals, but not when dealing with other Autistics. To give an example, this is what takes place in a typical conversation between an Autistic and a non-Autistic.

Neorotypical asks a question or makes a comment. Autistic takes those words and searches for pictures for meanings of said words. Takes those pictures and puts them in an order to understand what is being said. interprets the message. Figures out an appropriate response after searching for the words the non-Autistic will understand, and verbally responds. During all of this time, we are also expected to "maintain eye contact,' despite it feeling like lasers going through our souls, and try to find the acceptable speed and
.speech volume. Does this in any way help explain our 'weirdness?"

Our own brand of hustling is something we will be working on. I must warn you though that when we do hustle it might not resemble the types of hustling others might consider a success. I will not say every Autistic person is the same. As a matter of fact, there is a saying, "When you have met one Autistic, you have met ONE Autistic." That being said, there are tendencies among Autistic people. One, we tend to not have a desire for the accumulation of wealth, being in position of power as compared to others, and not being followers [ that evil ABA, working so hard to prevent us from BEING]
There is a form of leadership of course, that comes with humility, fluidity, purposefulness.

that is the type of leadership and hustling we are looking for. We Autistics have incredibly high and low capabilities. Working together, supporting each other in our strengths and weaknesses will help us to give a new and very positive meaning to the art of the hustle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment