Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 01:28 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
I think government makes a lot of people lazy. People nowadays have an entitlement mentality and know they can rely on government benefits instead of working. You take those benefits away, you will start to see people getting hungry and wanting to work for they can eat. Then you will see people hustling again to survive.
What government benefits would those be? Because I lost a good job a couple of years ago when the company I worked for went bankrupt (through no fault of mine) and there were no government benefits I could "count on."

Since the company went bankrupt, there was no argument that I was eligible for unemployment compensation (something that is NOT paid for only by the government). But it wasn't enough to meet all my financial commitments and I don't even have a mortgage or rent payments.

Even with that inadequate help, one day the governor of my state just up and declared that everyone on unemployment could no longer expect to get the number of weeks we were told we were owed. The benefits were just cancelled. In spite of the fact that I had been jumping through hoops going to interviews for jobs I knew I wasn't going to get and taking classes on "how to find a job" that I could have taught. But I'm old, so no one wanted me. I was living off my savings and so poor I was actually eligible for food assistance and Medicaid. But then the Medicaid got cut off because I'm a woman with no children. Yes, that actually became a requirement in my state. Unless you have dependent children, no Medicaid for you.

I was forced to file for my Social Security benefits early, so now I will be cheated out of benefits for the rest of my life since I could not hold out until age 65.

Don't talk to me about relying on government benefits. That's a FANTASY that was killed off during the Clinton Administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I feel part of it is being told that for years all you had to do was show up and do you job well and you'd be treated with respect and for years you were. It's only recently that that changed and is no more. It's hard to change that mindset.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:27 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
because employer pretty much give you everything, you dont have to work for anything anymore. employee expect vacation, bonuses, medical. giving to them.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:09 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
What government benefits would those be? Because I lost a good job a couple of years ago when the company I worked for went bankrupt (through no fault of mine) and there were no government benefits I could "count on."

Since the company went bankrupt, there was no argument that I was eligible for unemployment compensation (something that is NOT paid for only by the government). But it wasn't enough to meet all my financial commitments and I don't even have a mortgage or rent payments.

Even with that inadequate help, one day the governor of my state just up and declared that everyone on unemployment could no longer expect to get the number of weeks we were told we were owed. The benefits were just cancelled. In spite of the fact that I had been jumping through hoops going to interviews for jobs I knew I wasn't going to get and taking classes on "how to find a job" that I could have taught. But I'm old, so no one wanted me. I was living off my savings and so poor I was actually eligible for food assistance and Medicaid. But then the Medicaid got cut off because I'm a woman with no children. Yes, that actually became a requirement in my state. Unless you have dependent children, no Medicaid for you.

I was forced to file for my Social Security benefits early, so now I will be cheated out of benefits for the rest of my life since I could not hold out until age 65.

Don't talk to me about relying on government benefits. That's a FANTASY that was killed off during the Clinton Administration.
I can't give you anymore rep points, but thanks for laying it on the line and speaking out with the voice of hard experience. Jukesgrrl is telling the cold, hard truth, folks. Younger workers who haven't had the misfortune to become unemployed through no fault of their own are so lost about today's realities that they might as well be coming from Mars. And they are too quick to believe the rabble rousers who want to depict the US worker as a lazy slug. You types are going to get to disabused of this notion quickly enough. I saw a statistic that most Americans are only a paycheck or two away from life on the streets. This is not because our fellow citizens and workers feel "entitled." It's more like feeling embattled as they struggle with working longer hours for lower pay and trying to cover costs like the soaring expense of childcare. You young ones are going to find out the cold, hard truth up close and personal soon enough and god help you then because the government won't, no matter how many taxes you've paid into the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
because employer pretty much give you everything, you dont have to work for anything anymore. employee expect vacation, bonuses, medical. giving to them.
Name me an employer who just lays back and showers their workers with bennies just for existing. Name me just one - I double dog dare you to find one. You want to go back to 16 hour work days and child labor? Well, there's a factory in the third world calling your name. I have two college degrees (paid for by scholarships and work-study programs). I loved my job and if I was called upon to work more than a standard 40 hours a week, I did it because I was a professional and that's what professionals do. In exchange, my employers offered me decent pay, vacation and medical. But I didn't just hang out in my private corner office and stare out the window while these things were handed to me. I worked damn hard in the field of education and to this very day I can point out with pride the things that I did for the colleges that employed me and most of all for my students. If you are content to work some sweatshop job where you get no vacation time, no medical, no recognition for your efforts - then that's your problem and you are part of that problem with no part in the solution. Enjoy your career in the fast food industry.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:15 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Even with that inadequate help, one day the governor of my state just up and declared that everyone on unemployment could no longer expect to get the number of weeks we were told we were owed. The benefits were just cancelled.
You are in Arizona? Unemployment still lasts 26 weeks. Are you referring to the National extended unemployment of up to 99 weeks? That was cut off by the Federal government in December 2013 for everyone in all states. Your Governor didn't do that; congress did.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:46 AM

101 posts, read 141,060 times
Quote:

Since you have no kids and no house, you should've had a significant amount of money saved up. If I were you, I would go door to door to each business in my area and ask about any opportunities. I know multiple people in the past few years who have done such, and have succeeded in obtaining employment. Go hustle!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:12 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
With my job there's always more poop coming down the pipe. There's little point in hustling unless you want to stroke out or give yourself a heart attack.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Hustle is just another word for focus.

So I agree with you. Focus on becoming the best at something.

When I was young, I focused on learning how to design analog integrated circuits. I took every course, and I read every issue of the IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits. I knew as much as anybody in the field.

Upon graduation with my MSEE I had 5 job offers.

Hustle!

You bet!

Nah hustle is just another word for sucker You kiss butt, run around like a good little suckup, and still get laid off.
Work hard and smart; got it? Hard and smart! No corporate kiss up. 5 job offers after grad? Mildly impressive- try over 12 then get back to me. and those are the ones I even considered. Kids these days LOL. But then again, where I moved to, they actually reward hard work so IDK

Old 01-02-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
Since you have no kids and no house, you should've had a significant amount of money saved up. If I were you, I would go door to door to each business in my area and ask about any opportunities. I know multiple people in the past few years who have done such, and have succeeded in obtaining employment. Go hustle!

Gotta love those that talk down to others from an ivory tower and make them feel worse. My neighbors, dog sitter's second cousins, step brother knows a guy that is millionaire from his lemonade stand If I were you, I'd get off my high horse, and quit giving trite, smug, BS advice, when you know full well, you;d never really have to do that, or never would do that.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I can't give you anymore rep points, but thanks for laying it on the line and speaking out with the voice of hard experience. Jukesgrrl is telling the cold, hard truth, folks. Younger workers who haven't had the misfortune to become unemployed through no fault of their own are so lost about today's realities that they might as well be coming from Mars. And they are too quick to believe the rabble rousers who want to depict the US worker as a lazy slug. You types are going to get to disabused of this notion quickly enough. I saw a statistic that most Americans are only a paycheck or two away from life on the streets. This is not because our fellow citizens and workers feel "entitled." It's more like feeling embattled as they struggle with working longer hours for lower pay and trying to cover costs like the soaring expense of childcare. You young ones are going to find out the cold, hard truth up close and personal soon enough and god help you then because the government won't, no matter how many taxes you've paid into the system.

Name me an employer who just lays back and showers their workers with bennies just for existing. Name me just one - I double dog dare you to find one. You want to go back to 16 hour work days and child labor? Well, there's a factory in the third world calling your name. I have two college degrees (paid for by scholarships and work-study programs). I loved my job and if I was called upon to work more than a standard 40 hours a week, I did it because I was a professional and that's what professionals do. In exchange, my employers offered me decent pay, vacation and medical. But I didn't just hang out in my private corner office and stare out the window while these things were handed to me. I worked damn hard in the field of education and to this very day I can point out with pride the things that I did for the colleges that employed me and most of all for my students. If you are content to work some sweatshop job where you get no vacation time, no medical, no recognition for your efforts - then that's your problem and you are part of that problem with no part in the solution. Enjoy your career in the fast food industry.

Though I escaped the Corporate America BS, and actually enjoy benefits, great pay, and some of the best protection/safety nets in the world, you and jukksgirl (sp) got it right!! so many here with their trite,smug, holier-than-thou "advice" and judgmental attitudes. Just remember where you are- CD where everyone's a rock star , conqueror of the universe. You know you did the best you could, and I believe you. The deck is stacked against the American Worker, good old fashioned luck plays a major part, but these smug walnuts refuse to believe that. Hang in there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment