Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 PM

470 posts, read 426,607 times

Advertisements

Here's some background: I've been employed on a part time basis as a security guard for the same company since 2011. Been working at current account since February of last year (2015) as was part of team of guards reassigned after company lost a different account. I work the overnight weekend shift (0000 to 1200 Saturday/Sunday).

The account I work at recently went to two guards on at all times, up from one. With this change, additional guards were hired to meet the new client requirements. So a new guard was trained in during the week leading up to December 19 when he started working with me.

The very first night he leaves the room at 0006 and doesn't return until 0444 that morning. I at first don't say anything though I obviously wonder where he went. This continues the following night so I mention it to my supervisor who tells me that he will write up the guard for that (Why wasn't he fired right away I don't get; disappearing for more than 4 hours should be grounds for immediate dismissal, especially on your first shift after training). Well, the following weekend, it continues and gets even worse as he disappears for all but the first and last hour of a shift during of the nights. I again mention this to my supervisor who I don't believe does anything as the guard was still there last weekend when I came in for my shift.

In addition, we received a new Security cell phone to use when on rounds if we need to contact someone or someone needs to get a hold of us and we're not in the office (the guard doing the rounds is instructed to take it with them as the other guard has the office phone if needed). Well, the second weekend, when not disappearing for hours at a time, the guard uses the company cell phone to surf the Internet, something we were explicitly instructed not to do. He does so by using the cellular network to create a wifi hotspot he then connects to with his iPhone and uses to watch Netflix.

Well, this past weekend first thing I do (Before he arrives as I always arrive 15 minutes early) is put the security cell phone in my pocket so as to prevent him from using it in ways that are against company policy. I too have an iPhone and do not want his Internet usage with his iPhone to be pinned on me. Anyways, he comes in and looks for it and then reviews tape (everything we do in the office is recorded on video but there is no sound) and sees that I have it. He asks for it and I say, "No, you can't have it to break the rules." He says, "I don't break the rules." I responded, "Well, what do you call disappearing for hours at a time during your shift because from where I come from, that is definitely breaking the rules."

He proceeds to get right up next to me (in my face) and says, "You don't want to **** me off." The Area Supervisor is then called and instructs us to stay separate for the entire shift, one guard in the office, one out wandering around, just to get through the shift as sending one of us home would violate the client policy and since it was past midnight, calling another guard to come in would be difficult as well.

During this altercation, his demeanor really kind of frightened me and I don't feel safe working with him but from what I've heard, he will still be employed when my shift comes around this weekend. What can I do? If I quit do I really have a case for getting unemployment? I don't even want to quit and be out of a job for what I believe wasn't doing anything wrong but no job is worth going to if you feel threatened or otherwise fearful of someone while there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,388,840 times
Don't hide the cell phone away from him any more.Don't tell him he is breaking the rules unless your manager instructs you to do this. If he wants to break the rules then that is not something you can stop.

Just do your job. If you need the cell phone for doing outside rounds and if he is using it for personal use , then tell him you need it. If he doesn't give it to you when you need it for legit work, then tell your manager the date/time and that he was using it for netflix wifi hotspot and refused to give it to you for making the rounds so you did the rounds without the phone.

Don't quit. This guy likely will be fired but usually this takes some time. Your manager likely has to get approval from his/her boss as well as HR before they fire someone. They might have to arrange hiring a replacement first and this takes time.

Hang in there and try to ignore this person. Do NOT confront him.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,551,231 times
Excellent advice!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,428,318 times
Do exactly what sware2cod said. It is excellent advice.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 AM

12,070 posts, read 23,136,845 times
No, you don't have a case for unemployment.

It is not your job to keep him from breaking the rules.

Smooth things over with the guy. Tell him you weren't trying to **** him off, you just don't want to get in trouble because you need the job. Leave it at that and see what happens. He will hang himself eventually.

Tell your boss that you are not responsible for your coworker.

If you feel the need, tell your boss that one of you (or the offender) needs to be transferred to another contract.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM

15,115 posts, read 32,173,278 times
This situation is very common on the graveyard shift. It's very hard to find someone that can stay awake, and the other guy is probably sleeping somewhere. Call your office, and see if you can arrange for a field supervisor/patrol officer to come out and do a welfare check at random times during the night. When the other person can't be found, he'll get reported, and replaced. In the meantime, just do your job.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:47 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,750,605 times
I would ask for a transfer.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:12 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,950,081 times
I would look for a better job.

No offense, OP, I did security jobs when I was young. Get out of that field, it attracts types like you are dealing with and you sound more responsible than that.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:28 PM

127 posts, read 194,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No, you don't have a case for unemployment.

It is not your job to keep him from breaking the rules.

Smooth things over with the guy. Tell him you weren't trying to **** him off, you just don't want to get in trouble because you need the job. Leave it at that and see what happens. He will hang himself eventually.

Tell your boss that you are not responsible for your coworker.

If you feel the need, tell your boss that one of you (or the offender) needs to be transferred to another contract.
Really? the guy is clearly an a**hole. The op needs to keep taking the cell phone next time and just wait for the a**hole to touch him and then legally kick his ass. I mean common dude, you're a security guard and you're scared? kick the guy's ass and teach him who's the boss. If he's bigger than you, go for his legs, make one of his knees face the opposite direction. Once on the ground, handcuff him and call the cops. Show the tape and justify the self defense act. Then file charges.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:29 PM

12,070 posts, read 23,136,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
Really? the guy is clearly an a**hole. The op needs to keep taking the cell phone next time and just wait for the a**hole to touch him and then legally kick his ass. I mean common dude, you're a security guard and you're scared? kick the guy's ass and teach him who's the boss. If he's bigger than you, go for his legs, make one of his knees face the opposite direction. Once on the ground, handcuff him and call the cops. Show the tape and justify the self defense act. Then file charges.

Yes, you deescalate a minor situation before it gets out of hand

Security guards aren't cops.

Everyone is allowed to be scared.

It is not his job to hide the phone.

You can't kick someone's ass because they touched you.

What an ignorant and testerone fueled post.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 01-05-2016 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment