Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 01:30 PM

621 posts, read 1,033,152 times

Advertisements

Why is it that millions of people are able to make YouTube videos and then make a living off them that they don't have to work anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:21 PM

152 posts, read 185,747 times
it's called talent.Only Few make a living not many do. many people don't have talent of comedy,stories, acting skills to make in and grow an audience of 1M+ surbcribers and get millions of views.
it's pretty much like TV but on the internet. as you see Youtube also has now payed service. 9.99 for ad free youtube.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
Why is it that millions of people are able to make YouTube videos and then make a living off them that they don't have to work anymore?
Please cite a source.
I sincerely doubt there are millions of people retired and living off their YouTube videos.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
as you see Youtube also has now payed service. 9.99 for ad free youtube.
No need to pay that much! I have ad free You Tube, with the free add-on AdBlock Plus.
No ads on any sites!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:32 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Maybe thousands are making money off of youtube, but I doubt it is millions. The thing is you need a niche, something millions of people will watch, which will get you paid. A friend of mine's 18 year old daughter does videos on youtube, and from my understanding you have to have basically a million views per month to make $3500 a month or so (according to my friend).

However if find a niche, and you grow a fan base, it is not a bad lifestyle, it took my friends daughter a full year to make a penny off youtube, now she makes enough to pay for her college and live off campus.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
It's similar to being a TV or movie star but exclusively online. It's not "easy money" as you need to have talent and skill like in any other worthwhile endeavour.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
People who are able to make money from something like You Tube are similar to people who are able to make money by inventing something or starting a company that fills a niche or provides a service or product people want or designing something people want to wear, drive, live in, or otherwise use or spend years acquiring skills and knowledge that allow them to be a doctor or dentist or any other endeavor where a person applies thought and effort to making something a success.

They have a skill or talent or an idea or just a real desire to succeed. They make a plan, focus on accomplishing their goals, and put a lot of time, effort, and labor into making it work.

There may be a few people who create a You Tube video of their cat that becomes a sensation, but turning that into a regular income after the novelty wears off takes time, effort, and work (and a cat that continues to cooperate). Eventually, people will get tired of the cat, and if the human has not managed to invest the proceeds from the original cat video and turn that into income, the human will have to find something else to keep the You-Tube-viewing public's attention or end up having to get a regular job.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
I have seen many like "Annoying Orange" they have "Branded" a bit of humor and now make bank. But that's rare. One video has a soldier coming back home, dog was going nuts and the video has (Let me check) 20 MILLION views...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysKAVyXi0J4

But they just posted this for sharing and not "Branding" but then someone got the ideas of branding the soldiers coming home to parades and dogs and kids and has made some money (And there's copycats like crazy) so it's hit and miss or a mess.

Big money? VERY RARE!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
It's like anything in life. Get good enough at it and you will be rewarded. Those making a career out of it, for the most part, did not happen by accident. It involves a lot of hard work and skill.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I image there are a few people who just stumbled into it, not even realizing they could make money doing it. I for one had no idea for the longest time that some people were earning a living making YouTube content, and I consider myself fairly internet savvy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment