Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:15 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times

Advertisements

I started a poll recently on this very topic:
Poll: Salaried, Exempt employees: Why do you regularly work over 40 hours per week as a lifestyle?

Unfortunately, no real useful responses. I do feel that many of the responses that I got were from people in very high positions in very high paying fields. I don't think I got many responses from rank and file professionals, which are who I was really targeting with my poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 01:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I started a poll recently on this very topic:
Poll: Salaried, Exempt employees: Why do you regularly work over 40 hours per week as a lifestyle?

Unfortunately, no real useful responses. I do feel that many of the responses that I got were from people in very high positions in very high paying fields. I don't think I got many responses from rank and file professionals, which are who I was really targeting with my poll.
Maybe you should have worded it differently?

"Blue Collar work poll"

"Salaried Blue Collar Poll"

"Salaried Rank and File Poll"....

Old 01-30-2016, 07:28 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Maybe you should have worded it differently?

"Blue Collar work poll"

"Salaried Blue Collar Poll"

"Salaried Rank and File Poll"....
No, because my poll was intended specifically for rank and file white collar employees. Blue collar employees are generally paid overtime, and were not the subject of my poll.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:56 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Simple.. Because we live in a land of corporate apologists and SUCKERS today.. Trying to grab that dangling carrot in front of you placed there by the employer when the truth is, you're probably never going to grab it. (As they will just hand the carrot to some other crony from outside the company)

I see so many of these salaried middle managers put in 60-70 hour week after 60-70 hour work week and they haven't budged an inch in YEARS. Sitting there hoping and praying for that upper management job and it never comes.

Employers now know they have these sucker salaried employees on a leash. So you can work all these hours. No one cares. It just becomes expedited.

Companies promise people alot these days but give you NOTHING. So why live at work, and go above and beyond for that dangled carrot?

Last edited by DorianRo; 05-23-2016 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 08:33 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Simple.. Because we live in a land of corporate apologists and SUCKERS today.. Trying to grab that dangling carrot in front of you placed there by the employer when the truth is, you're probably never going to grab it. (As they will just hand the carrot to some other crony from outside the company)

I see so many of these salaried middle managers put in 60-70 hour week after 60-70 hour work week and they haven't budged an inch in YEARS. Sitting there hoping and praying for that upper management job and it never comes.

Employers now know they have these sucker salaried employees on a leash. So you can work all these hours. No one cares. It just becomes expedited.

Companies promise people alot these days but give you NOTHING. So why live at work, and go above and beyond for that dangled carrot?

I have noticed that a lot of salaried workers live in fear if they do not work 60-70 hours a week they won't be promoted or will be fired. It's basically what you were saying, but I have seen it myself.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:48 AM

379 posts, read 255,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Calling all business owners
Managers
Employees of all professions , trades, and jobs
Why do you guys not support the 40 hour work week?
I do not get this mind set and curious to discover why america does not support work life balance?
Do you guys really prefer being at work?
What about your family, friends, other things in life like your husband and wife.
Playing soccer
Mountain climbing
Boyfriend girlfriend time
Why do you force your employees or yourself to work long hours?
The human body is not built for that and people need time to cool off and recover
I dont get why america is a workacholic society
Cell phone, turn it off unless you are an emergency personnel on call
Overtime and emergencies should be kept to a minimum
When did this happen and how was american became a workacholic society?

Called me spoiled but i learn to appreciate my time off from work considering america is a workacholic society?

I know its unhealthy to be working long hours all the time
I thou 40 hours was bad enough

I thou there should be ways of getting ahead in your jobs and careers without buning out yourself out

Can someone please explain to me this mindset of work in america
Perhaps this is the case for some people, but I also know a hell of a lot of people who work 40 hours, and in that bunch, quite a few who refuse to work one minute over it! It seems like some of America supports a 40-hour work week.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
Obamacare put in a loophole that allowed employers to be exempt from paying health care insurance for employees. The cutoff is 30 hours a week.

Overtime is still anything over 40 hours. Most employers play it safe and only offer 3 shifts a week. 24 hours. that is Part Time work.

Remember this. Not one Republican Voted for Obama Care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV7dDSgbaQ0

Old 05-25-2016, 03:45 PM

299 posts, read 350,321 times
The past 16.5 years I've had two jobs which were/are both 35 hour work weeks.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:54 PM

213 posts, read 697,892 times
Hours in excess of 40 a week are now the expectation for salaried employees. One of the largest reasons are because of the Johnny and Jane Go-getters of the world who are willing to sacrifice work-life balance and work 60 hours a week to get as much work done as possible. Well, what happens? Suddenly that level of performance and productivity is now "built-in" to that position and all that follow have to live up to the standard or the department/company faces a shortfall. Of course, that is simply not possible on a 40 hour work week, so....

And on and on it goes.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:39 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
A lot of offices should go to 4, 10 hour days that's what people want. If you can't work from home, that's the next best option. I would choose a company that offers this over one that doesn't. Especially backoffice finance jobs and so on where you don't deal with customers. If an employee has doctor appointments or what not, they would be expected to try and schedule them on that extra day off during the week.

It's High Time For The 4-Day Workweek:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextaven.../#468d0f4c4fc2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment