Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,107,921 times

Advertisements

That's how it was suppose to be in theory but in practice it resulted in significantly less opportunity for white males, now we have to compete along with everyone else, we essentially lost what our forfathers built up.

Sure I can apply to a college with everyone else but I don't get a "buy" for being a white male (my past 73k in student loan debt can prove that), I don't get a favorable treatment in dating or in being hired.

If I were to be laid off for some sexual harassment issue I would have a heck of a time finding a new GOOD job. So when white males are forced to compete down in the ditch yet again you cant honestly expect them to be nice about it?

There is only so many slots in top colleges, med schools, corporations, political positions, etc etc. As much as people tout that its not a zero sum game it is simply not true. It is a zero sum game and the more doors you open the more backed up those paths get because at the end there are only so many seats.

If these other engineers/scientists are good at what they do why would they put 20 years of hard work at risk?

I agree new blood is good if you have enstine level ideas but the problem is we have become such a politically correct society that politicians try to put people in these positions just because they are a woman or are black or what ever and they meet the minimum standard.

Why would white males encourage this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
White males are not at a huge disadvantage in today's society. This is a misconception. Instead of 100% of doors only being open to white males, they added some new doors and let other people have a chance to go in the room. New blood = more chances at better success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:42 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,614,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

That's how it was suppose to be in theory but in practice it resulted in significantly less opportunity for white males, now we have to compete along with everyone else, we essentially lost what our forfathers built up.

All you have to do is look at Silicon Valley and Wall Street to prove that you haven't lost anything.

Another topic for another thread.

Women....especially white women have benefited more from "affirmative action" than any other group on the planet. They are the new definition of "minority".

Something that many will have to get use to.

I've worked at 3 different companies where my managers were women.

Can't say that they were good managers. As a matter of fact they were pretty bad when it came to leadership and sound decisions.

But they were qualified.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:04 PM

8,008 posts, read 10,413,201 times
Quote:

Sure I can apply to a college with everyone else but I don't get a "buy" for being a white male (my past 73k in student loan debt can prove that), I don't get a favorable treatment in dating or in being hired.

If I were to be laid off for some sexual harassment issue I would have a heck of a time finding a new GOOD job. So when white males are forced to compete down in the ditch yet again you cant honestly expect them to be nice about it?

There is only so many slots in top colleges, med schools, corporations, political positions, etc etc. As much as people tout that its not a zero sum game it is simply not true. It is a zero sum game and the more doors you open the more backed up those paths get because at the end there are only so many seats.

If these other engineers/scientists are good at what they do why would they put 20 years of hard work at risk?

I agree new blood is good if you have enstine level ideas but the problem is we have become such a politically correct society that politicians try to put people in these positions just because they are a woman or are black or what ever and they meet the minimum standard.

Why would white males encourage this?
Let me get this straight, you lost your privilege and unfair advantage, and you think that's not fair? BTW, being white and male does still offer you an advantage in the work force. Numerous studies have prove that.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:32 AM

If that is true it is nominal compared to the past. Why would I or other white males want to make life harder for themselves by inviting sexual harrasment law suites or being fired for such things.

I dont wake up in the morning so that I can make women feel included (other than my fiance who sleeps with me who I bend over backwards for), but random women at work who, if I were single, would have no interest in me, why would these white males go out of there way to invite women to after hours meetings at the ***** club?

Why would they do that?

You may be the most awesome woman and have the best ideas but the fact is the past generation of women have made sure that the laws are so draconian they create a huge liabilty for men (espeically white men), putting that kind of weight on a group of people drives behavior to what jade is seeing today.

Even women in the 1940s did not have that kind of weight on them, stay home and raise the kids cook some food, yea that sucks if you want to be a rocket scientist but not nearly equivalent to the liability white men now face if they say the wrong thing in an office setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Let me get this straight, you lost your privilege and unfair advantage, and you think that's not fair? BTW, being white and male does still offer you an advantage in the work force. Numerous studies have prove that.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:34 AM

I have a professional engineering licence and the compeititon seems to be pretty cut throat so back for a masters I go as i work full time not sure how thats not loosing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

All you have to do is look at Silicon Valley and Wall Street to prove that you haven't lost anything.

Another topic for another thread.

Women....especially white women have benefited more from "affirmative action" than any other group on the planet. They are the new definition of "minority".

Something that many will have to get use to.

I've worked at 3 different companies where my managers were women.

Can't say that they were good managers. As a matter of fact they were pretty bad when it came to leadership and sound decisions.

But they were qualified.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,042,968 times
Have worked with a few men who were jerks, but for the most part male coworkers resulted in a more relaxed atmosphere.

Female coworkers, for the most part, resulted in ongoing hormonal/emotional drama and competition. Many women internalize too much and you end up walking on eggshells to avoid their moodiness. A good description is "cats fighting in a sack".

Old 01-16-2016, 06:38 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times
Quote:
With a woman boss you would not have earned any respect it would have turned into a meeting with HR and her bosses boss. If you were lucky her bosses boss would have given you a pass. Its a risky gamble but if you can get in good with the higher ups then your gold.
Are you in a research field? Because I am, and have been for nearly 20 years, and this has not been my experience.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:57 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,208,191 times
Heterosexual 59 year old, working since 15. Pretty much always gotten along better with women at work than men. Would much rather work with and for a woman.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:22 AM

671 posts, read 899,763 times
I work alone 95% but interact with all the other departments in a female dominated setting. They are always gossiping and talking **** about each other. There is always something going on. I'd say it's worse than high school... only difference is you're getting paid to be there.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:25 AM

30,325 posts, read 19,107,564 times
In my career, the very large proportion of women hated some other women in the workforce and especially hated to work for other women. From my experience, women are great to work with but they can flip and go crazy on you if you say the wrong thing...same as in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment