Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:16 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times

Advertisements

You may not NEED anyone's approval, but you should always seek advice. Try to have a mentor above you. Have a "walk and talk" with people in the hallways, seeking input.

Get advice from those around and below you on the org chart.

Finally--and most importantly--document why you made the decision you did (was best for the company), and why you DIDN'T select the other options (were not optimal for the company). Make sure you have agreement from those affected by the decision that even if they don't necessarily agree with it, that they can support the new policy/decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:26 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
After finishing each sentence slam your hands on the desk and shout "Am I making myself clear?!"

Periodically strike people upside the head with a notebook

Send passive aggressive emails

Set your IM to do not disturb

Slam your keyboard on the desk and rage type

Make people feel stupid

Play golf and only talk about golf

If someone talks about football, change the topic back to golf

If you feel threatened by someone because they are smarter than you ask them how their golf swing is

If someone is smarter than you get them on your team and overwork them until their soul is crushed

I can go on all day.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
After finishing each sentence slam your hands on the desk and shout "Am I making myself clear?!"

Periodically strike people upside the head with a notebook

Send passive aggressive emails

Set your IM to do not disturb

Slam your keyboard on the desk and rage type

Make people feel stupid

Play golf and only talk about golf

If someone talks about football, change the topic back to golf

If you feel threatened by someone because they are smarter than you ask them how their golf swing is

If someone is smarter than you get them on your team and overwork them until their soul is crushed

I can go on all day.

LOL. I love your "Authoritative Manual" But why golf??

Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Whenever you make a decision be prepared to defend your decision. If you can successfully and logically defend your decision then the consequences of a bad decision is not as bad as if you cannot say why you made a decision.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
As someone who has experience managing in IT. My advice to other managers and supervisors always is that I cannot tell them what type of boss or manager they should be but they need to learn that you won't always make the right decisions. If you had to 2nd guess all the time, then you are not worthy. It's the decisions that you don't make that will be your down fall one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment