Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:15 PM

43 posts, read 39,801 times

Advertisements

The most popular STEM degree, biology, is useless. A lot of science degrees are useless. It should be TEM not STEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 05:41 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,091,275 times
physics is pretty useful. chemistry is useful but not as a stand alone degree. I had to take quite a bit of chemistry as a chemical engineer but then at the upper division it was more thermodynamics, physical chemistry, heat transfer etc.

I wonder if part of the problem is what is passing for STEM these days, its like people are getting a cisco cert and that seems to count as "stem". I get that its hard but its not exactly a PhD in physics hard.

I think the problem is that the engineering and science fields have not kept a tight noose around the field and now you have people categorizing insects or counting fish counting as "stem" or some other such thing. Not exactly the same thing as designing an infrared sensor that goes on a satellite or a new super explosive with roots in biochemistry.

People need to make sure they are going to ranked schools with tight controls on their degree programs if they want to go into stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patheticpeter View Post
The most popular STEM degree, biology, is useless. A lot of science degrees are useless. It should be TEM not STEM.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,590,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
According to John Miano in his book Sold Out the "Stem Crisis" is a scam perpetuated by Microsoft. They create this artificial shortage to justify raising the limit on the H-1b visa. Remember that Microsoft is a software company. Depressing salaries across the board is part of their cost control strategy.
This post sums nails it right on the head. Microsoft, along with other software companies and the politicians they buy off are the ones who preach this nonsense. This is the kind of capitalism they want to engage in, and has nothing to do with an American shortage. I know many people who were excellent in the IT field for years who cannot even receive a callback, believe me they exist.

Another thing is Microsoft also has certs they need to sell so they can make even more money!!

Old 01-26-2016, 06:27 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,382,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
This post sums nails it right on the head. Microsoft, along with other software companies and the politicians they buy off are the ones who preach this nonsense. This is the kind of capitalism they want to engage in, and has nothing to do with an American shortage. I know many people who were excellent in the IT field for years who cannot even receive a callback, believe me they exist.

Another thing is Microsoft also has certs they need to sell so they can make even more money!!
That is why my computers run Linux.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:42 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,756,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
physics is pretty useful. chemistry is useful but not as a stand alone degree. I had to take quite a bit of chemistry as a chemical engineer but then at the upper division it was more thermodynamics, physical chemistry, heat transfer etc.

I wonder if part of the problem is what is passing for STEM these days, its like people are getting a cisco cert and that seems to count as "stem". I get that its hard but its not exactly a PhD in physics hard.

I think the problem is that the engineering and science fields have not kept a tight noose around the field and now you have people categorizing insects or counting fish counting as "stem" or some other such thing. Not exactly the same thing as designing an infrared sensor that goes on a satellite or a new super explosive with roots in biochemistry.

People need to make sure they are going to ranked schools with tight controls on their degree programs if they want to go into stem.
Definitely part of the problem. Mechanical engineering has been good to me thusfar. But I know people in IT and microbiology who haven't had the same experience at all.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Microsoft certs are a scam in my field. Do they exist? Yes. Does anyone I know have one? NOPE.

I've worked in tech for 18 years without a single cert to my name. It's easy enough to figure out in an interview whether someone actually knows anything about database programming.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:27 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,590,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Microsoft certs are a scam in my field. Do they exist? Yes. Does anyone I know have one? NOPE.

I've worked in tech for 18 years without a single cert to my name. It's easy enough to figure out in an interview whether someone actually knows anything about database programming.
The town I live in you cannot even advance without a cert anymore. Even non-IT jobs at IT places want you to at least have Security + certification, even for clerk jobs. What makes it even worse is many employers will not even think about hiring you if you have certs, degree and no experience. To them all that education is useless without the certs. "Entry-level" jobs require five years experience in many places. At this point I am thinking about switching fields yet again!!

Old 01-27-2016, 03:52 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,895,772 times
It's STEAM now anyway. They've added back in arts/liberal arts to the STEM track

Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 PM

12,708 posts, read 8,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
It's STEAM now anyway. They've added back in arts/liberal arts to the STEM track
Which actually makes it meaningless. Guess to many LA professors got their feelings hurt.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,868,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I wonder about that... seems like with people on CD talking about six figures a lot, they also complain about having to work 60 hour/weeks...
Yeah....I think most people on CD claiming to make six figures are full of beans. The average individual income in this country is around $30k/yr and the average household income is around $51k/yr yet there magically seems to be tons of people on this site making double or triple the aforementioned figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment