Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:52 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
@lilred0005

... glad everything is cool. I believe one of the most profound posts in this thread was from someone who mentioned transitioning out of your current field of work.

Really... Please try to transition out of food and beverage ... or if HRT is your thing, then shifting to a different type of work under that umbrella that offers the opportunity for more upward mobility.

Are you in school?

I worked for 10 years in the same restaurant before I did just exactly that.... at age 43. It was a lot of work but I did get myself from that field into a very nice job at a World class University. Better pay, better benefits, better work hours and supervisors who treat me with respect. Yes it can be done. Even if you are older. And no I don't have a college education that helped me to do it. Just a whole lot of determination not to spend another year struggling to survive on poor pay for long hours with no benefits.

Anyway. I am really glad you stayed safe in all of that mess, lilred. I am sure that things with your work place will be fine. No reasonable and sane person can fault you for not wanting to drive in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I worked for 10 years in the same restaurant before I did just exactly that.... at age 43. It was a lot of work but I did get myself from that field into a very nice job at a World class University. Better pay, better benefits, better work hours and supervisors who treat me with respect. Yes it can be done. Even if you are older. And no I don't have a college education that helped me to do it. Just a whole lot of determination not to spend another year struggling to survive on poor pay for long hours with no benefits.

Anyway. I am really glad you stayed safe in all of that mess, lilred. I am sure that things with your work place will be fine. No reasonable and sane person can fault you for not wanting to drive in that.

Powerful testimony. Wonderful post, and very inspiring. Congratulations, shadowfax! Here's to continued success.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
@lilred0005

... glad everything is cool. I believe one of the most profound posts in this thread was from someone who mentioned transitioning out of your current field of work.

Really... Please try to transition out of food and beverage ... or if HRT is your thing, then shifting to a different type of work under that umbrella that offers the opportunity for more upward mobility.

Are you in school?
I agree with UserNamesake.

Lilred005, you should get out of food and beverage. You have better typing skills and grammar than me. I am sure you have enough skills to get a desk job somewhere.

I worked 2 months in fast food, before getting a file clerk job for $3/hr more. Four years later, I was making $4/hr more than that job. After a while, I started getting into Excel and MsAccess and moved up to $50k/yr. I have easily passed that amount after 3 more years.

If there is a major weather hazard, the entire company is closed that day. It may happen once every year at the most. It's certainly more flexible than retail jobs, where they want people 24 hours/day, blizzard or no blizzard.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
If you want to talk about bosses being stupid during a blizzard, let's talk about the Blizzard of 82 in Denver... EVERY single suburb around the city of Denver was under state of emergency and declared NO ONE on the roads, Unless essential....

And EVERY town around was also under this....

The Mayor of Denver put out on media (TV, radio, etc) that ALL essential and govt people NEEDED to report or they would be in serious jeopardy of losing their jobs... He even stated he did not care what every other city was doing....

It was so bad that the Governor had to step in and put a stop to his nonsense... And forever after he was known as the man who was one of the biggest idiot Mayors EVER.....

It is no wonder he went on to be in the Federal Govt..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment