Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 04:57 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,224 times

Advertisements

I'm an INFP, careers I wanted to have were writer, translator, actor. Obviously those do not pay too well unless you're highly exceptional and well loved.

I want to know if I were to stick it out being a creative how could I make a lot of money besides being a creative director or starting my own company? Obviously the road is less paved for us and we just have to come up with my our own way but it's too bad I also love money. Otherwise I would just focus on what I like doing but I think about money way too much for a creative person probably.

I just feel it's a bit late in the game to do a 180 and try my hand at finance. Are my other only options to just save my money and invest it? Maybe the path will be clearer to me once I've worked in my field for a few years..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
You can still be a writer, but you may not need to write the most exciting topics ever. For example you can be a "content marketing manager."

This pays pretty well and is a common title in tech companies and any company that sells to other businesses. They need people to write website content, white papers, case studies, blog posts, landing pages, ebooks and all sorts of other content. You'd spend all day writing, but it wouldn't be fiction!

One of my friends is a localization project manager, she translates and coordinates the logistics of getting content translated. It could be a website or an ebook or any other asset.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:10 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Technical writing can pay well, but the jobs are generally not entry level and can be niche in each industry. You could channel your creative interests into a hobby or part-time when are not at work.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:12 PM

388 posts, read 473,943 times
Marketing.

I'm an INFP and have had a great time doing marketing work. Love it! I've held positions where I'm in charge of marketing for service companies (architecture, law, dentistry, etc). I wrote some books on marketing. Now I consult - most recently a very cool start-up related to overseas medical care.

Marketing involves a creative mingling of sociology, business, psychology, and language skills.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Marketing.

I'm an INFP and have had a great time doing marketing work. Love it! I've held positions where I'm in charge of marketing for service companies (architecture, law, dentistry, etc). I wrote some books on marketing. Now I consult - most recently a very cool start-up related to overseas medical care.

Marketing involves a creative mingling of sociology, business, psychology, and language skills.
There are a zillion different types of marketing jobs from PR, to content creation to event planning to analysis to social media.....

Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Technical writing can pay well, but the jobs are generally not entry level and can be niche in each industry. You could channel your creative interests into a hobby or part-time when are not at work.
Yes there us technical writing and non technical writing technical writers live in the product team or maybe technical support. High level content is written by non technical people. Most website content, marketing emails, blog posts, thought leadership pieces...

There is a whole ton of not that technical content that gets created and the need keeps growing.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:36 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
What is an INFP? It seems like everyone else knows but I can't figure it out

Old 01-30-2016, 04:31 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Myers-Briggs personality type.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:00 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I'm an INFP, careers I wanted to have were writer, translator, actor. Obviously those do not pay too well unless you're highly exceptional and well loved.

I want to know if I were to stick it out being a creative how could I make a lot of money besides being a creative director or starting my own company? Obviously the road is less paved for us and we just have to come up with my our own way but it's too bad I also love money. Otherwise I would just focus on what I like doing but I think about money way too much for a creative person probably.

I just feel it's a bit late in the game to do a 180 and try my hand at finance. Are my other only options to just save my money and invest it? Maybe the path will be clearer to me once I've worked in my field for a few years..
The way you make good money us to focus on doing what you love. Be the best. The money will follow. If you focus on the money, you'll get nowhere.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 AM

4,217 posts, read 4,740,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Marketing.

I agree with this.

This is coming from an INFP that also loves money. And trust me no one can relate to the daily struggle between feeling the need to break free and do something creative whilst wanting to also be able to eat out from time to time and fully fund a retirement account.

To profnot-do you hold a marketing degree? Advanced degree? I'm in pharma, have a BA in econ and am on the project management side of clinical research. I'd love to switch to the marketing side. Have you ever done maketing on the healthcare side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment