Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 10:06 PM

38 posts, read 34,762 times

Advertisements

This is a reverse question of topic in this forum from the past:

"Do college educated persons look down on those that are less-educated? (scholarships, graduated)"
Do college educated persons look down on those that are less-educated?

Have you been in a job where your direct peers are less educated and you have degree at least one level higher? Do they mock that your degree only landed you in the same job as them? Were they threatened by a "hotshot"?

This happened in my personal experience, I graduated from college and worked as a lab technician where I manufacture stuff. Although the job stated "college degree PREFERRED" I applied anyway to gain experience. Most of the non-management were immigrants who I suspected correctly used to be contractors and became full employees. I was hired, with two others, as a direct employee which means I didn't have to go through the permatemp hassle.

First thing they asked was my salary and if I was a direct hire, which I said and they were pissed that it was higher than theirs. I tried to justify it that I went to a top 15 university (I lied to calm them down- although I do have a college degree). I spent less than a year in that job. But all the while this one particular coworker kept asking "is this the best job you can get" with a kind of friendly smirk on his face while mocking my supposedly "top university degree". Mind you, everyone talks about how bad the working conditions are relative to the pay even in the middle of work. My team lead gave me hell for the first few months because he said I "made him look bad" because I would often cut my break time short and start working. Most of the people I talked to indeed do not have college degrees. Maybe the company wants cheaper workers.. not surprising that the turnover is high.

The biggest "BYE FELICIA" moment was when I did get to a renowned F500 company. The look on their faces was just priceless since a lot of them have tried applying to that company. That one worker who was belittling me kept BEGGING that I get him a job. I fantasized about being cruel but I didn't. I was thinking of requiring him to get three references, which would be impossible due to job performance, before I "pass" on his resume, which I won't. In the end he was still texting to me months after I left and I just ignored it.

In the current company I am in, many old-timers do not have a degree and they recently required a degree for the position. They do not seem to be insecure or mind since everyone is making at least 30% more than industry average for that position and know that they have it good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 10:38 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Really what do you care?

Don't discuss your salary with others ever.

Model your behavior after the old timers who do not have a degree. They don't need one because the experience they have is worth far more to the company you work for than any newly minted degree.

They also are minding their own business and only worrying about the value they bring to the company vs anyone else.

Worry about yourself.....not your coworkers.

Not trying to be harsh with you, but just a word to the wise from an old-timer manager. Nothing is worse than an employee who is comparing themselves to others rather than focusing on their own expertise, skills, and performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment