Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:01 AM

15 posts, read 13,225 times

Advertisements

I am a young female. I've been at my job for a couple of months now and no matter how nice and friendly I am , I find myself singled out. No one talks to me. It all started with two older female coworkers snubbing me. Then it seems like everyone (including guys) joined in. I hear the gossip and the snickering when I enter the lunch room. Or they give eachother weird looks when I pass by.

These people pass my cubicle and ignore me and make no type of eye contact whatsoever even though it's clear that I am there. Seriously, you have to make an effort to avoid not looking at me. And that's when I say "good morning so and so" and the reply is usually an awkward nod. Or simple questions like "how was your weekend" is a one word answer reply. But I hear others ask the same thing, and their conversations are flowing back and forth.

I am a social butterfly so for me to not interact with others nor talk as much is uncomfortable to me.

Side note: One of the female coworkers had my linkedin profile up on her computer when I passed by her office. Weird, right?

What's worst is that my boss is bff with one of the females. This is making me miserable! The gossiping and ostracizing is making me go crazy. Lunch times make me crazy. I just sit in my car and drive off somewhere and try to calm down. Help me! My work productivity has gone down, and I hate going to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Find another job. That one is toxic and it's not going to get better.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:13 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I wonder if they are jealous of your youth or looks, and someone started a rumor about you.

Try to ignore it. Just do your job and go home. Getting out at lunch is a good idea. You spend 8 hours/day in an office with them. You don't need to eat lunch with them, too. Don't give them any reason to suspect anything bad about you.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:25 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Are you young and attractive? If so, it's sheer jealousy, I've seen this pattern before in offices where a younger gal comes in and the older fuddy duddies form a pack out of some self defense mechanism in their twisted brains. Rise above it, keep a smile on your face, try and befriend someone close to your age.

BTW - yes, VERY odd they would have your profile up on their computer. If it were me, I'd ask them (politely) if they needed to know something about me that they could not find online and that I'd be happy to share!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
If this is everyone then it's not them, it's you.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Look elsewhere

Old 01-25-2016, 08:22 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
If this is everyone then it's not them, it's you.
Very possible. Most people who are annoying don't actually realize or know they are annoying.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:32 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,336 times
OP, it's interesting that you mention the males are doing this too. Is the behavior of the coworkers directly affecting your work? Not in the sense that your feelings are hurt and you're too depressed and don't feel like completing tasks, rather, in the sense that they are not speaking to you when it's a requirement to complete an assignment and you're unable to complete the task because of the ostracism. I wouldn't quit your job over this because based on what you're saying the coworkers aren't actively bullying or picking on you to your face; they're doing the opposite--they're not talking to you much at all. It is weird but if you need the job or like the job overall, don't quit over this. You'll just have to learn to get used to it if that's possible? You seem like the type of person who has to always be liked by others.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 AM

714 posts, read 747,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat23 View Post
I am a young female. I've been at my job for a couple of months now and no matter how nice and friendly I am , I find myself singled out. No one talks to me. It all started with two older female coworkers snubbing me. Then it seems like everyone (including guys) joined in. I hear the gossip and the snickering when I enter the lunch room. Or they give eachother weird looks when I pass by.

These people pass my cubicle and ignore me and make no type of eye contact whatsoever even though it's clear that I am there. Seriously, you have to make an effort to avoid not looking at me. And that's when I say "good morning so and so" and the reply is usually an awkward nod. Or simple questions like "how was your weekend" is a one word answer reply. But I hear others ask the same thing, and their conversations are flowing back and forth.

I am a social butterfly so for me to not interact with others nor talk as much is uncomfortable to me.

Side note: One of the female coworkers had my linkedin profile up on her computer when I passed by her office. Weird, right?

What's worst is that my boss is bff with one of the females. This is making me miserable! The gossiping and ostracizing is making me go crazy. Lunch times make me crazy. I just sit in my car and drive off somewhere and try to calm down. Help me! My work productivity has gone down, and I hate going to work.

I see no other option except to leave ASAP. You work with children, they aren't going to get better.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:53 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
You may be too much of a "social butterfly" for this work environment. Too much socializing and visiting in an office can be very annoying and distracting to people who need to concentrate on their work. It is not realistic to expect others to converse or make eye contact every time they pass your cubicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment