Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 5,537 times

Advertisements

hi all.
i have a trouble with my life. im 25 years old. I'm working for construction company.
i realy dont like this job. althought the all thing are going well.
i hesitate to stop work in here.
i dont worry about some problems which my life in the next day will be like, fee for the life,etc...
the big trouble with me that i dont know what my passion is.
how to find my passion?..what should i do to answer that question?
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:23 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Wrong forum.

But you find your passion by experiencing different things in life. Don't be afraid to experience things that are intimidating...

Even if you do find your passion... I think the following is a good quote:

Quote:
Like all bad advice, “Follow Your Passion” is routinely dispensed as though it’s wisdom were both incontrovertible and equally applicable to all. It’s not. Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it. And just because you’re determined to improve doesn’t mean that you will. Does that mean you shouldn’t pursue a thing you’re passionate about?” Of course not. The question is, for how long, and to what end?

When it comes to earning a living and being a productive member of society – I don’t think people should limit their options to those vocations they feel passionate towards. I met a lot of people on Dirty Jobs who really loved their work. But very few of them dreamed of having the career they ultimately chose. I remember a very successful septic tank cleaner who told me his secret of success. “I looked around to see where everyone else was headed, and then I went the opposite way,” he said. “Then I got good at my work. Then I found a way to love it. Then I got rich.” …

… We would surely be worse off without the likes of Bill Gates and Thomas Edison and all the other innovators and Captains of Industry. But from my perspective, I don’t see a shortage of people who are willing to dream big. I see people struggling because their reach has exceeded their grasp.

- Mike Rowe, 2014

Old 01-27-2016, 07:25 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
This isn't something I thought about. It just was. I always knew what I wanted to be, and the field I wanted to be in, since I was in high school.

This is something you feel (its a passion!), not decide.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:00 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranvanduong View Post
hi all.
i have a trouble with my life. im 25 years old. I'm working for construction company.
i dont worry about some problems which my life in the next day will be like, fee for the life,etc...
thank you!
I agree with the poster who said it is something you feel, not decide.

What are you good at? I have a friend who is very good at cooking, he thought cooking is just some everyday activity, not something to brag about. But if you have tasted his food, you would know Oh hell yeah, that is something to brag about and make a career of.

He went to a cooking school and became a chef in an Italian restaurant, couldn't be happier afterward.

Maybe find out your interests and what you are good at is the start.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:08 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
hi all.
thank you!
Mate I've been in construction ( scaffolder ) for 15 years , yes it's good/ great money but the physical/dangerous nature of the job is NOT for everyone .

As for your passions......... Whatever interests you have outside of work such as gym, music etc I would persue a career in one of them fields as you will only enjoy your work.......

Best of luck mate

Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
There's lots of good books and internet sites about this. I always hear the advice to think about what you would be doing with your time if you didn't have to work. Then try and form a career around that. Using that advice, I'm probably best suited to be a landscaper or golf caddy, so I'm not saying it's always practical.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
I've often read the trick is to think what would you do for a living if money were not a consideration? Then you pick that.

Of course, if everyone did that we'd have no janitors, fast food employees or ditch diggers.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 AM

353 posts, read 426,755 times
Experience life

Old 01-27-2016, 12:00 PM

651 posts, read 415,875 times
Default Hobby can make your life more interesting

Quote:
how to find my passion?
It must be you have some free time in the evening. Try a lot of hobbies: books, science, sport, guitar etc. It will help you to find the passion and amuse.
After all you can work in the construction company further and paint or draw as a hobby.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Read some books ("what color is you parachute" is a popular one but there are many others).

Many people don't have a passion, or if they do, aren't doing it for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment