Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,351 times

Advertisements

HI everyone I have a unique situation. There are four of us and really no one of us has too much to do. But that's only part of the problem. The manager hired a temp to do a special project. This temp used to be a manager or supervisor and is trying to fill in that role for our manager who is out on a medical leave. Also we have a new person about eight months into the job. We are able to work from home if we wish
Now the temp is watching the new person because the new person likes to come in everyday, and so does the temp. In addition the temp has run out of things to do as well which is why I think the temp is watching the new person. The new person calls me via computer link for help. So this is background
So the temp does things to the new guy like demand to know why he is on the phone so much and just today was tapping him on the shoulder because he was on the phone for business reasons and also looking in a box on new employees desk for something and saying I hop you don't mind. I was in the office a couple of days ago and the temp kept coming into my space wanting to know what's going on, we where have a problem with an excel file.
Also the temp has done some things to me as well, trying to degrade my knowledge of things she doesn't have near the experience level that I have with. But the way it works is that I will say something and the temp will wait a week or two to come back to me with a response and deliver it with attitude. Now that attitude seems to have changed to one of concern and placation.
We were told about the temp being hired for six months but then the temp has a connection with the manager and we sort of got the idea that the temp is a guru the only thing is the temp is know nothing about certain aspects of the work we do and has tried to watch me work, for lack of nothing else to do, and was having trouble following the process.
My feeling is the temp trying to get hired full time and at the same time feeling a bit inadequate because the temp has not been able to do what the temp was hired for because the manager has not finished training the temp. Also the temp is making more money than the rest of of us I'd say double by the title on the email. So the new guy and I are a bit frustrated by being watched, and managed by a temp that was hired to complete a task within six months. The temp is doing all the temp can to keep busy.
So now here's another piece of this when the new guy was hired and started running out of work a couple of months ago the manager told the new guy to take time off.
Just wondering what you take is on this and what you would do given the situation. Also I forgot to add that I have supervisory experience a great deal of it. I took this job to coast to retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
I'd just shut up and coast to retirement....

Old 01-27-2016, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,351 times
Well I will be quiet unless my job is given to the temp

Old 01-28-2016, 12:31 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Not enough work? Do what you need to do, and spend the rest of the hours surfing the web. Keep quiet.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:49 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead4211 View Post
Well I will be quiet unless my job is given to the temp
Well, from the sounds of your posting "Getting paid twice our pay" (Sounds like someone is working hard and someone is hardly working) and then the "So the new guy and I are a bit frustrated by being watched, and managed by a temp that was hired to complete a task within six months"

The temp may or may not stay, but since they are being paid 2X what you make, then I'd believe they're there to manage you and you are upset due to their age and experience and getting loads of cash you could be getting if you had applied for the position...Or am I wrong?

Old 01-28-2016, 02:56 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
If there truly isn't enough work, I'd worry about justifying my own employment.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:35 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Enjoy it until you get laid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment