Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:30 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times

Advertisements

The only alternative to college is to pick a career of your choice & stick to it for many, many years. Don't jump from one job to another. You need 10,000 hrs of practice (8-10yrs, working 8hrs a day) to become an expert in any skill. Your work experience, hard work, passion & dedication towards your job will take you places. Good education can only launch your career but what makes you successful is your passion for your work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 01:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
What you want is a career that takes no effort or money to learn, that does not deal with people which you hate. You could try ditch digging with pick and shovel, but that requires work so you certainly would not like that.

Your attitude and likes and dislikes, your hatred towards working with people, and your hatred towards education, certainly all come into play, and say you are not inclined or want a decent job bad enough to get one.

So you need to learn to be content on the basic low pay jobs like you have had in the future.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM

254 posts, read 597,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrex View Post
So I am 25 years old and have always had what would be considered menial jobs such as cashier, waitress, cook, etc.

I feel very depressed about it. I have visited the forums on here a bit and read about getting 401Ks, retirement savings, promotions. vacations etc, but in all the jobs I have had there were no such things. Yeah people will say oh go to college but it is always so expensive and frankly I hate school and school work. I graduated with a 2.5 GPA and REALLY don't want to go into debt just to pay off some greedy mofos and their friends. I recently ended a relationship with a man and I am single. Is it at all possible to get a decent job where you get paid well while not having to spend fun money to greedy pieces of **** for half your life?

The only way you will get paid more is to learn a skill. Find something you are good at and learn more about it. Don't give up, you are young. You can go to school online and or at night, working during the day. Lots of people have done it. Do it now while you are young and save yourself the stress later.
It's either that or win the lottery or marry a rich person.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:51 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Perhaps you can get a blog job bitchin and complaining about the world owes you and all those greedy mofos and you don't like customers and cross your arms and stuff. That might work.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:10 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Are you good with your hands? If so, I'd look into the trades, such as plumbing and welding. I think there's supposed to be a shortage of truck drivers as well.

And who cares what others think of blue collar jobs. They're not gonna be paying your bills either way.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
So you don't want to further your education.
You don't want to work with customers.
You don't want to work.
Yet you want money.

You want to be paid well for doing basically nothing.

You could try dancing. I hear they make good money...but you would have to deal with the "customers".

Or you could change your attitude, learn a skill or trade, and get to work.

Nobody likes a lazy, uneducated freeloader.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
OP, you remind me of a young guy who worked for a landscaper in an area that my parents retired to.

I even asked the boss "what's his problem", he had a real chip on his shoulder. The boss said "he wants to live in nice house like in there around here".

He was 23, a HS dropout, and had a kid(of course not married).

Seemed to be lost on him that most of the people in this area were recently retired, worked hard for 40 years to get what they have, but he should have what they have, just not work for it.

Seems common with many of your generation. Some of these threads on here amaze me "I'm 26 and I never had a job", what do people like this do all day? Do the parents never say "enough is enough, I don't care if it's McDonalds go find a job".

Amazing.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 PM

292 posts, read 725,506 times
If you want a retirement account go to betterment.com and start depositing a little bit of money, even if it's just a few bucks. It can literally be created in a couple minutes and you can deposit that very same day. As far as unskilled service sector jobs are concerned, you need to make a decision. Either you will go to a university or get a more 'blue' collar skilled job such as a locksmith, plumber, electrician, etc. This isn't like the old days where you can just get a job in some factory pushing a button for $25/hr for 40 years. My recommendation is to not go to these private for profit scam schools like Everest University or the like; start at your 2 year junior colleges where tuition for the moment is still reasonable and major in something that is useful. If your interested in something like history, birding, etc you can always do that as a hobby.

It should be noted if you want to continue working in the service sector there is nothing wrong with that, I would just recommend you move to a place where the cost of living is low as well. Think small town USA away from the big cities.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrex View Post
So I am 25 years old and have always had what would be considered menial jobs such as cashier, waitress, cook, etc.

I feel very depressed about it. I have visited the forums on here a bit and read about getting 401Ks, retirement savings, promotions. vacations etc, but in all the jobs I have had there were no such things. Yeah people will say oh go to college but it is always so expensive and frankly I hate school and school work. I graduated with a 2.5 GPA and REALLY don't want to go into debt just to pay off some greedy mofos and their friends. I recently ended a relationship with a man and I am single. Is it at all possible to get a decent job where you get paid well while not having to spend fun money to greedy pieces of **** for half your life?
You are still very young, but you are getting on in years enough so that it's time to get your act together and make a plan for the future. There is still time.

Start reading all over the internet about different jobs and what they pay and the skills and eductaion needed for them. I guarantee you there will be several that will be right up your alley and pay decently or better, and have benefits. You don't need a 4 yr degree for some really good jobs.

You'll be fine if you're settled in a field by the time you're 30.

Forum posters can't make suggestions, since we don't know you, your skills, what you like to do, your strengths and weaknesses, your discipline, your intelligence, your communication skills, etc.

You can get a good job w/o a 4 yr degree. How about getting a decent job for now AND go to school at night to get an ASSOCIATE'S DEGREE from a local community college?

OR...how about working at Starbucks..STARBUCKS PAYS FOR COLLEGE. It's an online thing, but it's not one of those weird online schools. It's a real brick and mortar college that also offers degrees online and has partnered with Starbucks. Maybe there's a 2 yr degree you could get. And working at Starbucks is pretty good, I hear. Good benefits, decent pay, promotions.

I was floundering in menial work myself when I was your age. I decided I needed to earn more money, so I worked out a plan, borrowed $2,000 for paralegal school (I had 2 yrs of college; I had dropped out). I did very well as a paralegal. I had to move to a big city. It was hard, long hours, difficult working for attorneys. But I turned my life around and made good money. You can, too. You need to find something that intrigues you, and work out a plan to do that.

Here's a tip: Large employers pay more and have better benefits. They also may require longer hours. (you don't get something for nothing)

Here's another tip: Pay is MUCH better in most big cities. That information is on the internet.

Here's another tip: Big cities have many more job openings, as well as temporary work (should you need work while unemployed).

Here's another tip: The medical field will continue to offer many jobs because of the boomers retiring and getting sick as they age.

Here's another tip: Specialty fields sometimes pay more (like legal...a secretary gets, say, $24k in a small city, but a legal secretary would get paid $30k because it's specialized, more difficult, and not everyone has the skills & experience to do it).

Here's another tip: Learn to do something that can be used in another field, as a backup vocation, should you get laid off. Example: As a paralegal, I also learned computers very well, and general office skills. Should I have lost my job, I could always have applied for a secretarial job in any field.

Here's another tip: No matter what you do, communication skills will probably be advantageous. Speaking well, writing well, grammar & punctuation.

Here's another tip: Computers are necessary in most fields. Having computer skills is either necessary for many jobs, or gives you an edge in getting a job.

Here's another tip: Don't get locked down in a field that is physically demanding, like standing a lot or lifting. This will hurt you physically as you get older. You are looking for a job you can do for life.

You are lucky you realized you need a change while you're still young enough. It's very exciting to find something you want to do, become qualified to do it, and then find that you are good at it and get paid well for it. Sounds like you'll be a great employee for some lucky company. I wish you the best.

Last edited by bpollen; 02-02-2016 at 05:26 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 06:24 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Firstly you attitude is so awful that I wouldn't want you around me in any way, shape or form.

I know of some hair stylists who did phenomenally well, one an immigrant who came here alone, got licensed, worked her butt off and bought a triplex in a big city with 1 unit for herself and 2 to produce income for her. It was over $300,000 at the time, maybe as high as $400,000. She did this with a good work ethic and a great attitude though.

Even a degree won't change a mindset or attitude so unless you want to change that, save your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment