Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:41 AM

7 posts, read 6,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
I'm sure she's talking about corporations in charged of student loans
Pretty much. It's ridiculous they charge an arm and a leg for it. My sister hated school and she ended up marrying a very well off guy and I envy her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
Some of you guys are annoying. As if you've never had a moment like OP has. We all can't be happy 24/7 and deserve a time or two to sulk, to complain.

You guys don't even know her and already assumes she has a bad attitude because she's venting her frustration. I know tons of people who hates "Sally Mae", and have even called her worse, who are respectable, hardworking people.
She has a bad attitude... it couldn't be any clearer. Aside from the financiers, I don't think anyone likes student loans and debt but that is the system we have. She also doesn't like dealing with customers, which means people. I've seen nothing in her posts that communicates an understanding that her future is in her hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrex View Post
Yeah, exactly. At this point it seems like stripping would be easier. At least with stripping you don't have to spend tens of thousands on some stupid piece of paper then even if you do get a good job having to spend the next decade having to pay it off rather then be able to use the money for fun.

Also, there's no way I'd ever take up something like nursing, I don't have the patience or aptitude to do such.
Stripping is probably a good idea for you. I was going to suggest webcam performer.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrex View Post
Yeah, exactly. At this point it seems like stripping would be easier. At least with stripping you don't have to spend tens of thousands on some stupid piece of paper then even if you do get a good job having to spend the next decade having to pay it off rather then be able to use the money for fun.

Also, there's no way I'd ever take up something like nursing, I don't have the patience or aptitude to do such.
You just jumped the shark with this reply. You don't like customer service work but you're willing to strip buck naked in front of lecherous old men and shake your bum? Right Not very believable story you've concocted.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 6,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
You just jumped the shark with this reply. You don't like customer service work but you're willing to strip buck naked in front of lecherous old men and shake your bum? Right Not very believable story you've concocted.
I didn't say I'd be willing or want to just that it seems preferable in certain ways.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
OP What people in your situation also don't consider is that there is all kinds of potential to move up from many menial jobs. Its not hard at all to find stories of men and women who started at the bottom, the loading dock, or flipping hamburgers, and worked their way up the ladder to being Presidents and CEO's of major corporations. Maybe you should be thankful you have and job, and then look at the potential to move up. Just keep in mind that means you have to work hard, be reliable, etc.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 AM

32 posts, read 37,500 times
Working in manufacturing sounds like a field for you. Get in ground floor - shipping / receiving or custodian. Many companies (once they see how you work) will train you to become machine operators / on-the-job training. I have friends and family that went this route and make(and have made) a very good living. A true story - a relative of mine got into this little dumpy factory (part-time) just running errands, cleaning the shop / and did what ever his employer asked. fast forward 26 years later... he is still there and knows the in's and out's of the whole company and makes a huge pay check in the process. Never went to college and makes a crap load more than me. Not jealous (maybe a little lol) however I am very proud of him as he went (literally) from ground floor to jack-of-all-trades repairing and operating the machines in the building. You can do the same. The key is gaining the experience in a field and stay with it.

One last true story - Around 1989 a friend of mine came over to my house and was trying to figure out what he was going to do for work. He wanted something more than working at a local produce farm. (these are the days you could open up the local newspaper and find actual job listings) Immediately I see a job for a tool & die apprentice. Showed him the listing and off he went. He applied for the job and was hired a couple of weeks later. He stayed at this job until he was done with his apprenticeship. He then moved onto another manufacturer and gained even more knowledge. He then moved to another company and they even provided him with even more OJT....now he works for a super great company with phenomenal benefits, an enormous paycheck and is truly THE tool & die wizard. Guys 10 and 20 years older than him are asking him how to create certain parts. The boss gives my friend all the hard jobs because they know he will figure it out and he does. When my friend places his mind on something he learns it to the core and beyond. That is what makes him super valuable in his field and what makes him the big bucks.

Not telling you to get into manufacturing however based on the feedback you have provided, it sounds like a career you would do well in.

My other point - these type of jobs are where you may have to talk to your boss in the morning and then you are on your own the rest of the day. No customers

Last edited by outdoorNE; 02-03-2016 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: added to message

Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OP What people in your situation also don't consider is that there is all kinds of potential to move up from many menial jobs. Its not hard at all to find stories of men and women who started at the bottom, the loading dock, or flipping hamburgers, and worked their way up the ladder to being Presidents and CEO's of major corporations. Maybe you should be thankful you have and job, and then look at the potential to move up. Just keep in mind that means you have to work hard, be reliable, etc.
I agree with this, PROBABLY. I am not sure because almost 40 years have passed since I was in the OP's position, but with only two years of community college, I was able to work myself up to a management position with fourteen people reporting to me. (In California in the 70's, community college was almost free except for books. I think my two years of college cost about $1,000, total. I don't know how this has changed in today's world.)

However, my son-in-law, who has NO college education, worked himself up from a "flipping burgers" position to the position of general manager making over $40K a year by the time he was 21 --and this was just last year -- and he is "in line" for a regional manager position. I HOPE that it is still true that a good work ethic and intelligence is still appreciated and rewarded.

As you said, the key is willingness to work hard and dependability, and a "good attitude" -- and I would also add honesty, the ability to get along with everyone, and letting your bosses know that you want to be promoted AFTER you have "proven yourself".

Old 02-03-2016, 10:12 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
You don't get things for free. That's the way life is. You have to be willing to work hard for it. OP, almost every job deals with people. You don't have to BBFS with everyone but you have to learn to get along with others.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:21 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Bottom line is you need a degree in todays world - a degree in something real - not general business or philosophy - and then you MIGHT get lucky enough to get a good job. Its dog eat dog out there - start busting your butt now before its too late.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:05 PM

714 posts, read 747,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OP, you remind me of a young guy who worked for a landscaper in an area that my parents retired to.

I even asked the boss "what's his problem", he had a real chip on his shoulder. The boss said "he wants to live in nice house like in there around here".

He was 23, a HS dropout, and had a kid(of course not married).

Seemed to be lost on him that most of the people in this area were recently retired, worked hard for 40 years to get what they have, but he should have what they have, just not work for it.

Seems common with many of your generation. Some of these threads on here amaze me "I'm 26 and I never had a job", what do people like this do all day? Do the parents never say "enough is enough, I don't care if it's McDonalds go find a job".

Amazing.

No, they don't. Millenials are the way we are BECAUSE THE GENERATION AHEAD OF US SUCKS AT PARENTING! They are good at whining about their kids and dissing them, though... I'll give them that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment