Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:23 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times

Advertisements

A couple of jobs ago, my company required telecommuters to sign a certification that they had other childcare. You can't work a full time job from home and take care of your young kids at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 03:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Look for jobs that offer telecommuting. At one of my prior work site, there were quite a few telecommuting workers on contract positions. If I was a single parent, I would pursue work from home jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Already covered that with working from home providing licensed daycare...

Typical here depending on how close or far is between $80 and $100 per day...

So a work at home provider like my Sister In Law using the lower number bringing in 5 children plus hers was earning $2500 per week... or 10k per month.

Yes... she is not alone... one of my Hospital co-workers totally quit her hospital job and charges $600 per week per child in her Atherton home... she earns way more now than as a Registered Nurse, has a wait list and schedules two week off each year... a week in August and a Christmas to New Years.

Her first full time year she grossed 150k Out of that she has her regular home expenses she would have anyway... plus as self employed is required to buy her own Health Insurance and pay both sides for Social Security...

She has cut car expenses to almost nothing... no more 2 to 3 hours commuting in horrible Bay Area traffic...

She loves kids, hates traffic and being a registered nurse makes her very much sought after with very demanding clients... who are all well to do working in Silicon Valley...
The above is what I was responding to. Telecommuting is not the same as running an in-home day care.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
An in-home daycare would be a good option except my husband is a police officer and has to sleep during the day a few times a week. Wouldn't work for him at all. I will have to consider options. I'm a good teacher and certified in ESL, but online work can't be done with kids running around. Need to dig my brain a bit and think of options.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Twelve of my friends from High School joined Oakland PD at 20-21...

They were all single at the time... when they married later... their wives were stay at home... not one was working when the kids were young...

Bay Area agencies have top benefits... medical covers the entire family, including vision and dental last I checked...

It really might make sense to stay home IF your husband is able to rest with the kids around... otherwise, it sounds like you have no choice other than outside daycare.

I've been around day sleepers that work nights in the Hospital... really hard to count on rest... phones ring, people at the doorbell... trucks turning around... it can be difficult at best.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
You could always take time off now before the kids are in school and start working full time once they are in school. It's not only the cost of daycare. You have to also figure the cost of work clothes, gas, eating out or spending more on convenience meals because you don't have time to cook, giving up time with your kids and your and your spouse's sanity.

If you can afford to, I think being home, spending time with the kids, taking care of the household so your husband only has to concentrate on work, with the plan to return to work when your youngest is in school, would be an ideal solution. That way you're not out of the workforce TOO long.

I had three kids under 5 and was in the same situation as you; paying way too much for daycare. I started my own business, thinking I could do it at home and have the kids there. Wrong. I ended up having to send them to daycare anyway because who can work with three kids under 5 underfoot?

Old 02-05-2016, 05:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Its New York City, you can't expect to get an outdoor play area. If this was a another city, they could probably use their backyard.

I don't think I would pick that one, but you can pick something that is in between that $100 option, and OP $400 option.
Having shopped for daycare in the NYC area, I can tell you that the better daycare providers do have outdoor play areas. The example you provided underscores why parents are willing to pay more for quality care. The OP is paying a little over $200/week per child; in comparison to the $100/week per child option, I'd say it's a bargain. Especially considering it is a temporary expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
A couple of jobs ago, my company required telecommuters to sign a certification that they had other childcare. You can't work a full time job from home and take care of your young kids at the same time.
I did that for a while too, and it's brutal. The worst of both worlds, vying for your attention every waking moment, lol.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 02-05-2016 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 12:08 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
why does it always have to be " Illegal immigrants who work under the table for peanuts and have no benefits or protections" vs being fleeced?

The reason for this is that child care is mostly inelastic demand now, these facilities know that a majority of woman work and a lot work professional jobs so they have found the amounts that are just a few dollars under what will keep people coming in and not quiting their jobs to be SAHM's. They have had time to find the absolute maximum the market will bare.

Make no mistake someone at these facilities (maybe not the people actually watching your kids) is making a KILLING. I am also guessing that the licencing to set up one of these facilities is anti competitive (ie the state, city, muni only gives out so many kind of like a liquor license).
So what do you think childcare should cost?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:23 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Having shopped for daycare in the NYC area, I can tell you that the better daycare providers do have outdoor play areas. The example you provided underscores why parents are willing to pay more for quality care. The OP is paying a little over $200/week per child; in comparison to the $100/week per child option, I'd say it's a bargain. Especially considering it is a temporary expense.
I thought she was paying $400 per child. not $200. It is true that she mentioned on page 5 that she has two kids, but one kid is school age.

Obviously $200 is perfectly fine and expected in high cost areas. However in states like New York, good daycare is more expensive, and then I think people need reevaluate their priorities. Maybe getting a high quality daycare center is not so necessary? Even if they didn't learn as much, they will catch up when they start school.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
OP again.

I've given this a lot of thought , and I think I'm going to stop at the end of this school year. I'm tired, without a lot to show for it. There's no "right" answer here.

My kids have gotten flu 4x this year, never-ending ear infections, etc. I'm not quitting, I'll just sub on occasion to stay fresh, but I think I calculated $21,000 in annual daycare costs. Woe!

Old 03-04-2016, 04:41 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
OP again.

I've given this a lot of thought , and I think I'm going to stop at the end of this school year. I'm tired, without a lot to show for it. There's no "right" answer here.

My kids have gotten flu 4x this year, never-ending ear infections, etc. I'm not quitting, I'll just sub on occasion to stay fresh, but I think I calculated $21,000 in annual daycare costs. Woe!
Why not just open up your own daycare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment