Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times

Advertisements

You could of been a drunk and wife beater for ten years, at least with programming and police it gave you charater. Properly help with computer science and respect for building codes too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Don't look at it as wasted. You had experiences you know now are not right for you. Everyone takes a different path. You were lucky enough to have three careers by 30.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:00 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,564 times
when I first saw the threat title I thought you were going to say you were working at McDonald's. Instead you're complaining about doing what you love and almost making 6 figures!?

My story is similar to your except that I was 32 when I also got into construction management. I making less currently but am happy almost every day i go to work.

Last edited by jman07; 02-04-2016 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 04:19 PM

363 posts, read 433,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I can't help but feeling I wasted 10 years of my life...

Career 1:

Software programmer - this was the path I took straight out of college.

Career 2:

Law enforcement - after a few years developing software, I got so sick of sitting in a cubicle and cranking out code that I made a drastic change in my career path and joined the state police.

Career 3:

Construction/Civil engineering - After some drastic events with the state police, I was ready to move on to something else. My brother suggested I go into his field, which was construction management. So, I had to go back to grad school for it. By the time I finished school and get into the field, I was almost 30.

So, here I am in my early 30's and love what I'm doing with engineering and construction. In fact, I am also good with it. Good enough that I've been promoted. Just after 2 years in this field and I was earning a couple K's short of 6 figures.

I can't help but think I wasted 10 years of my life going down paths that I ended up hating. Had I chosen this field from the beginning, I'd be earning 6 figures easy and still loving the work.

Anyone else here pursued career paths that ended up not going anywhere with them?

You're doing a lot better than most people including myself. I worked full time and very hard just to get an Associate Degree. I have very limited work experience in my field that the only job I can get is technical support. I am planning to get a bachelor's degree which will use up at least 2 years. I am in my late 20s. At least you're in the top tier of your field at early 30s, as opposed to me where I will be a beginner or slightly above beginner. The more I spend thinking about corporate America and qualifications, the more I miss blue collar jobs. If only they pay as much as what I would make being a system administrator.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
the road is long with many a winding turns

be thankful for what you have ..

Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 PM

106 posts, read 284,395 times
I am glad that you are doing what you love. I spent close to 10 years teaching music in the classroom before this past May I finally got the guts to leave and pursue other things. I am still job searching now, but I am in school for a related field, sort of, Instructional Design and hope to someday work for a college or university. Yes it takes time to find out where your supposed to be and what you may think you are meant for. Some never figure that out.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:18 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times

You're only in you early 30s and making close to 6 figures with lots of experience in different fields .. Whats the problem?? I can't even find a job that pays 50 grand a year in my area. Im a supervisor making only in the mid 30K range and 32 years old working 50-60 hours a week.. Most job only pay 30-40k a year in my area. . Unless you're lucky enough to grab a public sector job like Customs or Border Patrol but that can take forever to get into IF You can even get into those fields at all.

Its not like you're old You should be happy where you're at. Theres alot of 30 something year olds out there underemployed or unemployed

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrlonfilm View Post
Yes it takes time to find out where your supposed to be and what you may think you are meant for. Some never figure that out.
That pretty much sums it up for most of us.
Some of us actually have the means and talent to bounce from different careers every 5-10 years.
While the rest of us are forced to scramble for some other means of income due to some unfortunate event that ends our employment with our long-time, lackluster position.

I myself just don't want to end up being that guy that finally figures it all out once it's too late.
Or still be yanking a steering wheel around at 60 years old or so and finally decide it's time to move on then.
Run into too many old guys, and not enough young guys in my current line of work.
Almost like a pseudo nursing home.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:08 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
I don't think you wasted time. Time is never wasted as long as you learn from your experiences. I am overeducated with more degrees and certifications than I even want to admit. Want to know what I do now? I work as a hair stylist in New York City. I still use all of my education. Psychology degree? With my clients you bet! Paralegal work experience? As I'm building my own website legal issues always come into play. Photography courses? Saved my life.

The most important thing to do is to ask yourself if you'd still be the same person today if you didn't work at those jobs. I am grateful for everything I learned as there's no way I'd be as happy in my work if I hadn't. Cheers!

Old 02-05-2016, 03:10 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
My neighbor was retired at 78 years old. He had been a long haul trucker all his life and good at it. He loved it. His old company begged him to come back and e went back on the road. He told them that he was going to retire at 80 for sure though.

Why did they call him back? He can pass a random drug test any day of the week. Last month he was terminated. The company's insurance carrier realized they had a 79 year old man on the road and said if they didn't get rid of this guy their insurance would not be renewed.

When a trucker flunks a random drug test he loses his license for six months, instantly. The company has to fly another driver out to get the truck and load of freight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment