Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:56 PM

774 posts, read 745,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The vast majority of whose spouses? I'm glad it worked out at your company but still you're talking about specific circumstances which are by no means universal. To implement your solution across the board would be ludicrous.

I was referring to the vast majority of the spouses of the employees at my company. However, you'll find with a bit of research that it's really not so ludicrous. What's ludicrous is the expectation that all specific circumstances should be catered to and that the majority shouldn't set the standard.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM

920 posts, read 932,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Unfortunately, it is easier for some people, when faced with people who hold views with which they disagree, to demonize their opponents rather than to acknowledge the possibility that they hold their views out of sincere conviction, without evil intent.
That's because they see and spew exactly what it is in their own heart...all while holding a finger pointing it to others.

Keep all protections, fair for all people, across the board. Do not discriminate. This really ignites the tempers of those who want special protections.

If you are human, here are your work protections. Period. They apply to every person, regardless of age or race. If during the interview the interviewer sees a disability, of course if this appears it might hinder job performance, then a discussion about necessary accomodations might be in order. If the job requires you be 21 (bartender for example) then all ages and races are allowed to apply for that position considering they are of age.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
The vast majority of spouses work and have the option to purchase insurance thru their employers. The insurance plan premiums overall went down 20% instead of up 14%, we weren't forced into a high deductible situation to keep the premiums down and we added a better prescription plan. I believe that around 90% of my staff voted to change. The reason why many of the people who wanted us to still offer spouse coverage wasn't because their spouse didn't work but because the spouse's company offered less or more expensive coverage. So we didn't leave them high and dry with ridiculously expensive and inadequate Obama Care as their only option. Honestly, most of the ones that had stay at home spouses were members of my executive and management teams and I pay them enough to purchase policies for their spouses. Yes, there were some who were not happy but we had to do what was in the best interest of the majority. I also didn't pocket the difference. We significantly increased the percentage the company paid of the new premiums and added an extra paid "holiday" (employee's choice of 6 options).

My point was that benefits wouldn't be a factor in a relocation decision for any of my employees no matter what their sexual orientation.
How about we get government OUT of business, instead of more IN to business?

My husband works at a job that specifically offers health insurance to both of us, because my job does not. I work for a small startup that has huge potential for growth, but made it clear that insurance would have to wait until we take off.

This employer does offer benefits to gay spouses. In your scenario, they would lose benefits. Which is kind of what you're having a problem with, right?

Old 02-04-2016, 01:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
If you are human, here are your work protections. Period. They apply to every person, regardless of age or race.
Sounds great, in what land is this true? Oh yeah, in your white one!

At first I thought you were the stupid one but on second thought, it's me. It really is naive of me to think that most people would be able to have a deeper level of insight into things when their experience is so vastly different.

It's not people pointing fingers and demanding things. I demand nothing. I need nothing. I have a good career, am Caucasian, early 40's. married, etc.

You're missing out on important insight that would surprise and enlighten you if you would only let it. Open your eyes, it's all around you and plain to see.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
As an LGBTQ employee myself, I would not move.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
OP, here is my take on the issue as a gay man.

It really doesn't matter if the state has a comprehensive protection of lgbt professionals. Today's homophobes are a lot more sophisticated than most people realize. If they want you out, they will look for other venues to get you out. They know better than to leave trails behind for you to come back to sue. Trust me on this.

The big mouth bigots like Donald Trump aren't the ones that keep me up at night. It's the ones like my immediate supervisor that keeps me up at night. Atheist. Votes democrat. Black. Pretty liberal views. Can't stop talking about women. I accidentally slipped and said "my boyfriend" rather than a gender neutral term like "significant other" like I usually use and it threw him off balance. He's been awkward with me ever since.

So, to answer your question directly, yes I will take the position if it benefits me and I like the place where I'm going even though that state doesn't have a comprehensive protection for lgbt members. I can take care of myself without protection from the law. I think most lgbt professionals can take care of themselves without the protection. We live and learn.
I agree. I live in Colorado where we do have the protections, but it's really all a joke. If you get a new homophobic supervisor, they can figure out how to get rid of you. These laws probably do very little to protect gay workers.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of companies who offer health insurance have a seperate benefits person that the employee doesn't work with in a normal workday. It's unlikely she'll send out an FYI to everyone. And when you are discussing health insurance benefits, even in smaller companies, it usually isn't in a room where everyone hears what is being said anyhow
Here goes the problem.

In all fairness, we don't want to limit it to specific people. When talking about private/ personal lives at work this also covers adulterers, polygamists, those into beastiality, pedophiles, or any other type of "alternate lifestyle" which can be thought up then openly discussed at work. Discussing alternate lifestyles isn't illegal of course but it isn't what we are paid to do while on the clock.
Absolutely ridiculous!

First of all, you're comparing gay people to people who cheat on their spouses, rape animals or rape children. This is highly insulting, bigoted and misinformed.

Second of all, me mentioning that my partner/husband and our children did something on the weekend is not "discussing an alternative lifestyle". What, you think I'm supposed to lie at work to my coworkers and say I have a wife? Or not correct them when they assume I have a wife because I have pictures of my kids on my desk? Sorry... but this is 2016, and I'm not going back into the closet.

Third, how's your "heterosexual lifestyle"? I assume you chose that lifestyle somewhere around puberty

Old 02-04-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
That's because they see and spew exactly what it is in their own heart...all while holding a finger pointing it to others.

Keep all protections, fair for all people, across the board. Do not discriminate. This really ignites the tempers of those who want special protections.

If you are human, here are your work protections. Period. They apply to every person, regardless of age or race. If during the interview the interviewer sees a disability, of course if this appears it might hinder job performance, then a discussion about necessary accomodations might be in order. If the job requires you be 21 (bartender for example) then all ages and races are allowed to apply for that position considering they are of age.
Protections for sexual orientation cover those of you leading a heterosexual lifestyle too, you know

Old 02-04-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Sounds great, in what land is this true? Oh yeah, in your white one!
White? I am Native American. If you can see my two friends, you'll will see one is Native American. I've posted about this on this forum.
Please don't pretend to know my race or guess it... then state it as fact. That is a form of deception which is a form of lying. As is calling others names like Bigots because they will equally, re-locate to a State with no special protections for heterosexuals.

Quote:
At first I thought you were the stupid one but on second thought, it's me. It really is naive of me to think that most people would be able to have a deeper level of insight into things when their experience is so vastly different.
We are human beings. With regards to workplaces, most treat everyone equally as human beings which are how 90% of our protections are written. To human beings. Now the only difference is if there is a disability involved then yes, it is possible that might need to be addressed if it appears it could hinder job performance
[quote] Regarding the stupid one, you've already determined to know my race and failed. So you hold the nomination here

Quote:
It's not people pointing fingers and demanding things. I demand nothing. I need nothing. I have a good career, am Caucasian, early 40's. married, etc.
It's not about you or me but I will elaborate, why I don't know. I am 46. I had a good career but due to an injury, I do not any longer. But it isn't about me or you, or whether we are married or not, whether we have health insurance (which I assume we both do through our employers)... It's about the OP.
Quote:
You're missing out on important insight that would surprise and enlighten you if you would only let it. Open your eyes, it's all around you and plain to see.
I am a Supervisor in a large company which has 4 offices in California and contracts with the State. Granted... I am not in the office as much as others, due to my refusal to take a position which is on call 5-6 days per week though it pays alot more...but I am privvy to what happens there to an extent. I also work as an employee, actually doing the job of employee, while being a supervisor. This is unusual and hardly ever happens for good reason. I live in Northern California, in a town of 2000 people surrounded by larger towns, part of the Sacramento Arcade Metro Area. I do not live under a rock.

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 02-04-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Protections for sexual orientation cover those of you leading a heterosexual lifestyle too, you know
They cover human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment