Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 08:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Unless I would be subject to significant overtime on a regular basis, I would choose Exempt over Non-Exempt. While I have seen employers that exploit Exempt employees, particularly private-sector companies operating in a competitive marketplace; overall, Exempt employees tend to be treated better, than Non-Exempt employees, who often have to adhere to punctuality and attendance rules and tracking, that exempt employees are not required to.
Not only are exempt employees treated better, they are more respected, and usually have an easier time getting promoted in highly hierarchical companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 09:52 AM

341 posts, read 1,232,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not only are exempt employees treated better, they are more respected, and usually have an easier time getting promoted in highly hierarchical companies.

How does it make it easier for promotion?

Also, I'm excited and nervous...pumped for my job to start. Thank you everyone! This school gives me 20-25 pto, sick days,2 week holiday off in December, plus the usual 6 holidays with an additional two, cheap insurances, and they put money in my retirement account and if I put in they match 9%. I better not screw it up. Really nervous but excited.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:23 AM

65 posts, read 55,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
How does it make it easier for promotion?

Also, I'm excited and nervous...pumped for my job to start. Thank you everyone! This school gives me 20-25 pto, sick days,2 week holiday off in December, plus the usual 6 holidays with an additional two, cheap insurances, and they put money in my retirement account and if I put in they match 9%. I better not screw it up. Really nervous but excited.
Congratulations! Sounds like you have been given a really good opportunity here, and your attitude shows that you truly want to make the most of it!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:02 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
It really depends on the employer. From my experience, and in general in the last 2-3 decades, the "exempt" classification has become controversial because of how it is used and abused.

Many retailers are making people "managers" who basically do the same work as the floor staff so they can make them exempt. This has been possible because the "minimum salary" has not been raised with inflation. In 1975, it was raised to $10000/year. By 2004, Pres. Bush was basically forced to grudgingly raise it to $22K because $10K/year was basically minimum wage at 40 hours by that point. But that $10K in 1975 (and the amounts it was before that) were the equivalent of about $50K/year today, which meant that many industries like retail paid their managers hourly.

If the "minimum salary" for exemption would go back to about the $50K level, there'd be a lot less "abuse". There will still be employers who have people on "salary" routinely working 60-80 hours/week with no overtime, but at least they won't be getting a salary so low that weighted for those hours it rivals minimum wage.

I personally think only a few jobs that truly have independent judgement should be salaried. When it was first introduced with the 40 hour and overtime laws in 1938, it was basically a compromise over concerns that executives would be paid overtime for "golf meetings" and travel/sleep time on business trips while "doing nothing" (the administrative exemption was because secretaries sometimes accompanied them on said trips). But there weren't jobs like IT personnel back then for which the "exempt" definition is kind of murky. And with modern technology, it is all too easy to "work" while traveling.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Default Time off reported in whole days only

Not sure it's been mentioned yet, that exempts only report time off in full days. So if you have a couple hour appointment one day and only work 5-6 hours, exempts don't report that leave use and are paid for the whole day.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:52 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Not sure it's been mentioned yet, that exempts only report time off in full days. So if you have a couple hour appointment one day and only work 5-6 hours, exempts don't report that leave use and are paid for the whole day.
Nicee

Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Didn't work that way at any of my employers. Exempt employees were expected to work at least 40 hours per week, and work a set schedule, say 8-5 M-F. But unlike Non-Exempt, the Exempts weren't bound by strict rules that could result in disciplinary action for infractions. IOW, the Exempts didn't have to be there by 8:00 am on the nose, or wouldn't be penalized if they slipped out a little before 5:00. But the Exempt employees couldn't just work half a day, then leave, and not charge the rest to some type of leave.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Didn't work that way at any of my employers. Exempt employees were expected to work at least 40 hours per week, and work a set schedule, say 8-5 M-F. But unlike Non-Exempt, the Exempts weren't bound by strict rules that could result in disciplinary action for infractions. IOW, the Exempts didn't have to be there by 8:00 am on the nose, or wouldn't be penalized if they slipped out a little before 5:00. But the Exempt employees couldn't just work half a day, then leave, and not charge the rest to some type of leave.
Everywhere that I have worked (both as a government employee and as a government contractor, I have been classified as exempt, but we were expected to be there at a certain time and to leave at a certain time, and to put in eight hours every day. Lunch was 30 minutes. Overtime was frowned upon, as was making up time by staying late. If I wanted to come in late, I had to take leave, there was no flex time. Doctor's appointments required the use of sick leave, and other errands required annual leave. When I was a govvie, we had good leave benefits, but as a contractor, bennies were minimal. At my last contractor job, I was docked 8K because I did not work the hours that my contractor employer wanted me to make (some of which was due to snow days, government shutdown, etc). To me, the government is not classifying employees correctly, since they require such rigorous timekeeping and narrow work windows.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
As some of you know I accepted a new position with really really good benefits at a university. I'm leaving my temp job I've been at for a year. Anyways, I will be making more but it's exempt and I don't understand why. My duties seem to not meet the requirements for exempt, should this bother me? I will be working 35-40 hours and I know sometimes I may be half and hour or hour later past scheduled time if it's busy.

So as long as it balances out right? Here's my duties: recruiting, interviewing, onboarding, training, budgeting, filing, etc. it's basically HR coordinator type stuff.
I believe the law is that the position has some sort of managerial responsibility, whether it's people you supervise, or not having a supervisor oversee your work directly.

However, it shouldn't be an issue, either way, if you only work an hour or two OT here and there. If you are overly concerned about an hour here or there, you are not managerial material and need to look for a job where you punch a clock and have a supervisor review all your work before it goes out. Those are O.T. jobs.

If you feel taken advantage of down the road, if you are working too much O.T. and feel you should be paid, then change jobs. Is there a chance for promotion where you are?

Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
As some of you know I accepted a new position with really really good benefits at a university. I'm leaving my temp job I've been at for a year. Anyways, I will be making more but it's exempt and I don't understand why. My duties seem to not meet the requirements for exempt, should this bother me? I will be working 35-40 hours and I know sometimes I may be half and hour or hour later past scheduled time if it's busy.

So as long as it balances out right? Here's my duties: recruiting, interviewing, onboarding, training, budgeting, filing, etc. it's basically HR coordinator type stuff.
You took the job. You should have asked before you accepted the position, if it bothered you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment