Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 AM

117 posts, read 129,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
So we are harrassing him when we say good morning? I am afraid that City Data has lots of people who have asbergers and don't understand that business is about relationships.
If you're going to troll and insult people, spell the name of the condition properly.

Or just go back to being Retired Now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
Quote:
So we are harrassing him when we say good morning? I am afraid that City Data has lots of people who have asperger and don't understand that business is about relationships.
it's not that... it's the fact that you just need to accept people for who they are on move on with your life. so he's not friendly.. who cares? if it's making everyone SOOO uncomfortable, then look for a different job. what does talking badly about him and gossiping about him achieve? absolutely nothing.

and if he is a high level executive he obviously knows SOMETHING about relationships and business or else he would not have made it that far.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Leave poor Ed alone. Maybe he's got some weird problem that you don't know about -- a tragic death in the family, an abusive childhood, a personality disorder, anger about the elections, whatever. If you're a chatty, social group, find another topic fast. It's bad karma to be talking behind someone's back in the office; it ALWAYS gets back to them one way or t'other.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:15 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
I have been in the professional office world for about 25 years and have had a incredible cast of characters as coworkers and bosses but my current supervisor beats them all. He just does not talk to anyone or acknowledge anyone unless it is work related. No hellos, smiles, nods, greetings or small talk in any way.

Since he has started our very social team, has talked about him non stop, they all say they have never seen anyone so unfriendly. We have tried to challenge each other to a contest- the first person to engage Ed in a non work related conversation lasting more than 10 seconds wins a prize. So far, none of us have had any luck. (We are all middle aged highly skilled college educated professionals.)

Yes, Ed, the boss can talk. He is quite talkative when he tells us what to do and complain about our work. But it ends there.

Management and organizational experts: What do you think of Ed's style of supervision and workplace communication?

That type of atmosphere would work for some people and others would not flourish. A polite good morning; how are you; I'm leaving . . . would at least give the impression that he has SOME social skills. Most managers that progress through the ranks tend to be able to talk to a variety of people - up down and sideways.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
"One of my coworkers tried to invite him to lunch and ed just stared at him. When we greet him with a good morning or something similar he ignores us."

I find this hard to believe, actually. I suspect you're exaggerating. A nod of acknowledgment probably constitutes "ignoring" in your book.

I mean, I would say "NO," but it's highly doubtful that he truly didn't respond when asked a question.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-11-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 11:26 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
He does not even say good morning, good bye or hello and when he passes people in the hall first thing in the morning he does not smile or nod. Nothing.

Not just me, but the entire team.
What's the problem? You're there to work. You're not there to become BFF's. This sounds like a post from a teenage girl.....OMG! He won't even smile at me. Does he love me? Does he like my hair? Oh it's my shoes! He hates my shoes.

Seriously? Talk about a first world problem.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't. I don't believe in going to Happy Hours or discussing too much about your personal life. That being said you can say "hello" or "good morning".

It doesn't pay to be nasty.

I worked with a woman who was like this. Would never say hello or acknowledge others. Well she ended up having car trouble, people were snickering about it and even though two other coworkers could have offered her rides to and from work as they lived fairly close to her, neither did.

The night she came back into the office when her car wouldn't start was hysterical, now she could speak, well it fell on deaf ears.

You don't have to be buddies, socialize outside of work, or discuss any of your personal life in the office, but basic manners can go along way.
Way to be mature! Sounds like a lovely group of co-workers. No wonder she doesn't talk to any of you. You're not in high school anymore. Act like an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
but basic manners can go along way.
This is a two way street.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
So we are harrassing him when we say good morning? I am afraid that City Data has lots of people who have asperger and don't understand that business is about relationships.
No, we understand business relationships. He's your BOSS. That means he's above you. He outranks you. He doesn't have to be your friend. You do owe him respect and it honestly sounds like you're part of a group of children. Clearly, he understands business relationships since he's the executive and you're the pee on. Obviously, there's a reason for that.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:44 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
I like Ed. He's no nonsense and just wants to get the job done. Personally, i'm sick of being inundated with boring azz stories about the families, friends and pets of my fellow co-workers. Do not care.com

Leave Ed alone. He's too busy being a high powered executive to shmooze around with the peons. All you guys in the office- get back to work!!

Team Ed 2016

Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 PM

130 posts, read 130,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
No, we understand business relationships. He's your BOSS. That means he's above you. He outranks you. He doesn't have to be your friend. You do owe him respect and it honestly sounds like you're part of a group of children. Clearly, he understands business relationships since he's the executive and you're the pee on. Obviously, there's a reason for that.
I have been a boss before, in fact a manager who had a dozen people on my team. I could be an authority and treat people right at the same time. In fact I found that while it was to my advantage to be slightly aloof, if I was friendly but firm my staff respected me better and by not being cold or intimidating, my team would feel more comfortable talking about shared issues.

Ed is so cold that everyone is too afraid to talk to him, so things don't get done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment