Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I'm not talking about every time it snows, the big storms. Even if it's 3 ft of snow, blizzard conditions and highways have not been closed down we have to go in. I never had a job like this, even when I lived up here before. Every where else I worked care more about the safety of employees.

I grew up in Ct, and the region you are from never got 3 feet of snow in one storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:47 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Buy winter tires. They'll inspire more confidence in winter conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Actually at the speed you mention, you're probably a hazard for driving too slow. Every set of conditions has it's safe range of speeds. But unless you're on sheet ice, 20 MPH is very, very slow. You're risking forcing someone else to lose control when they come upon you.

Here's how I handled it when I lived in snow country -- when it snows go in early because everyone else waits for a bit. That way you're ahead of most of the traffic and before the snow gets packed into ice.
I was thinking of maybe getting snow tires. My car is so little, and light that driving in snow is not much fun. I have a little hatchback. Not the greatest in snow. I love it, and it's great on gas, but snow... eh not so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Has CT gotten 3' of snow in one storm this year? I know we haven't had more than 8" in one shot here in NH. Last Winter there was one storm where there was something like 34" in one storm. I remember that MA called a state of emergency and shut down the highways (don't know what CT did). My company closed our campus (in Southern NH) because a lot of people weren't going to be able to get there, since many commute from MA. That is the only time that has happened in the 10 years I've worked there. The staffing who handle trading and phones and customer service absolutely have to be in. If they close the campus, they can stay home (only happened once in 10 years, as I mentioned). I am lucky because I can work from home. When the weather is bad, my team stays remote. Often when the weather is good too, no one cares.

That all said, it's not your company's problem that you live 40 miles away. That's your life choice. Sounds like you need to figure it out or get another job. What do your colleagues do?

Not yet - but last year every Sun-Tues there was a storm in February! I was lucky because those were my days off. I know there were a lot of people that did call out, however I'm not sure if they were still with us. It was just 1-2 ft of snow every single week.

They asked me if I could help, and I was able to log on from home and help. that way the people there could go home quicker. A little of the work can be done remotely - however not 100%.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I grew up in Ct, and the region you are from never got 3 feet of snow in one storm.
Oh I know, but if we got 3 ft of snow and roads were not closed, I would have to go in though. I'm just saying worst case scenario!

Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I was just wondering how others felt about this. I am a non-essential employee, but unless if the roads are closed, I am required to go in. If I don't - there is a chance there could be consequences. It is because our client requires us to be open, and if they are open, we need to be. .
Good to hear your wise employer makes decisions based on its customers needs.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:51 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Oh I know, but if we got 3 ft of snow and roads were not closed, I would have to go in though. I'm just saying worst case scenario!

In that case the Governor would declare a state of emergency and all non-emergency vehicles would be banned from the roads.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:

The Northeast non Canadian border states now tend to close roads as soon as they expect a foot or more. Even Christie eventually closed them our last storm, and NJ got a foot more than the worst hit parts of Ct.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Ok. So you are actually complaining about something that hasn't happened.

Let's see...

You choose to live a long distance from your employer.
You drive a vehicle that you don't find appropriate for the weather.
You complain about a policy that makes sense for your geographic area that has had no impact on you.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
No, you wouldn't because the roads would be closed.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:03 PM

289 posts, read 504,729 times
It really depends on the employer, but it sounds like they've decided you need to come in despite the snow. I used to work for an employer that would count it against attendance if we called in during a snowstorm, but then try and send us home once we showed up to save on payroll! I spent several snowy nights on my brother's couch since he lived rest next to my job. Now I work 30 miles from home and had to drive in whiteout conditions a few nights ago to get to work. It's not fun, but if your fear of the snow is conflicting with your employer's request, I think you and I both know the only choices are ether to put up with it or find a new job. You're probably not going to convince your employer to allow you to change their bad weather policy.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 PM

Another option is to get a motel or hotel near work on stormy days. On many websites, they are available at 40-60% off regular prices. I often get a Sheraton in central NJ for under $75 with tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment