Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I'm a senior analyst in a health care environment now. My previous job was as a data analyst, and I did enjoy that more because it was more mentally challenging. My expertise is in data analytics and project management. I have a bachelor's degree from UMich.
For years it was common to have work pay for graduate school. If you like people, get an MBA and work in upper management. The only way to make the big bucks is upper management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
I'm a senior analyst in a health care environment now. My previous job was as a data analyst, and I did enjoy that more because it was more mentally challenging. My expertise is in data analytics and project management. I have a bachelor's degree from UMich.
I would recommend getting at least a masters in Survey Methodology (I'm partial to the Michigan or Maryland programs) Here is a list of other programs.

The programs should be relatively easy for someone with your experience. Once you have a more advanced degree, you will find it easier to get positions where you may have more involvement with interacting with clients and doing things like site visits. You wouldn't get away with not being behind a computer but you would spend less time. The other advantage of focusing on survey methodology is that you will be able to apply your skills to nearly any industry. One of my professors described it as "playing in other people's sandboxes with your own toys"

You may want to look into large research organizations like Westat or NORC where you may be working on multiple projects across a variety of disciplines.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:36 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
What you're describing is more about being happy about doing well at their job. I do well at my job, I'm well educated, I get results. These are not the issues I'm dealing with.

I just don't like the type of jobs I'm doing. I don't like sitting in a cube for 8 hours a day looking at a computer monitor. I want to be moving around, interacting with people, building something or putting something together. Some of my most satisfying memories of working is when I was out helping people. The problem is that those were all entry level or volunteer gigs. I'm trying to figure out well paying jobs that are similar in scope, but at a much higher pay grade.
You've reached a point in your career where you need a change.

I was there once myself after sitting in front of a computer for 5 years designing electronic integrated circuits. The job had become boring and the thought of continuing to do that for 30 more years was depressing. So I quit my job and found a position in manufacturing engineering that eventually lead to a management slot in charge of manufacturing engineering for a large manufacturer. I loved that job and I never spent time at my desk. I was always working with different groups all around the company. It also lead to assignments working with groups in Germany and Japan. Unfortunately, now most manufacturing has been moved to Asia.

When my daughter reached that point in her career as a process engineer for a biotech firm, she applied to and was accepted by MIT to get her MBA. That got her into consulting; a similar assignment where she was on the move all over the world working on interesting projects. It also doubled her salary. Perhaps you should try that.

What you need to understand is that you have to manage your own career. Companies will keep you in your slot doing the same thing because that is the path of least resistance for them. It's up to you to remove yourself and find a new challenge.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 AM

930 posts, read 700,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You've reached a point in your career where you need a change.

I was there once myself after sitting in front of a computer for 5 years designing electronic integrated circuits. The job had become boring and the thought of continuing to do that for 30 more years was depressing. So I quit my job and found a position in manufacturing engineering that eventually lead to a management slot in charge of manufacturing engineering for a large manufacturer. I loved that job and I never spent time at my desk. I was always working with different groups all around the company. It also lead to assignments working with groups in Germany and Japan. Unfortunately, now most manufacturing has been moved to Asia.

When my daughter reached that point in her career as a process engineer for a biotech firm, she applied to and was accepted by MIT to get her MBA. That got her into consulting; a similar assignment where she was on the move all over the world working on interesting projects. It also doubled her salary. Perhaps you should try that.

What you need to understand is that you have to manage your own career. Companies will keep you in your slot doing the same thing because that is the path of least resistance for them. It's up to you to remove yourself and find a new challenge.
Thanks

Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM

Last night I was talking to my GF and we actually started the discussion of expatriating to another country for awhile and doing whatever we want for work that is low stress and somewhat enjoyable (maybe something to do with tourism). I think we're just both tired of the hyper-competitiveness of Corporate America and the false sense of American exceptionalism in general when it's apparent there are a lot of better options elsewhere.

We both do not like jobs where you sit around in a cube for 8 hours a day, but that's all I've ever really been offered in my career search and that's what the vast majority of white collar jobs consist of. So I think we're actually going to start planning our proverbial escape.

Thanks for your insights.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Several times, you've mentioned that you'd like work that actually helps people (and I gather you'd like to work directly with those you help), but you want to keep your current income at the same level.

Two things occurred to me after reading this: first, you could add satisfying volunteer work on your own time right now. Unpaid, yes, but the emotional/mental payoff would be the satisfaction of knowing you've making a positive difference. Consider tutoring, Habitat for Humanity, travel to developing countries to spend a week or two working on improving infrastructure (I have a relative who's made several trips of this sort to a remote part of Haiti, to bring clean water to different villages), etc.

You mentioned enjoying the outdoors - look for conservation-oriented non-profits in your area, or check with the local parks department or other government agencies which do similar work. Rocky Mountain National Park is not far from you - you could train to be a volunteer ranger's assistant or guide, if time permits. Denver has a beautiful botanical garden - perhaps they might have something that would suit you, with some additional education and training. Ditto the zoo.

Also, look for work with non-profits. You'll get good job satisfaction if you find the right position - but your salary is likely to be quite modest. Depends on what you value and want most. Unfortunately, lots of work which makes real differences does not pay well. You'd likely make enough to live a modestly comfortable middle-class life, but you'd need to save and plan for "luxuries".

Good luck finding your niche.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Last night I was talking to my GF and we actually started the discussion of expatriating to another country for awhile and doing whatever we want for work that is low stress and somewhat enjoyable (maybe something to do with tourism). I think we're just both tired of the hyper-competitiveness of Corporate America and the false sense of American exceptionalism in general when it's apparent there are a lot of better options elsewhere.

We both do not like jobs where you sit around in a cube for 8 hours a day, but that's all I've ever really been offered in my career search and that's what the vast majority of white collar jobs consist of. So I think we're actually going to start planning our proverbial escape.

I'm sure you are aware that in many foreign countries, as an American you'll need a work permit if you actually want to get a legit job.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I'm sure you are aware that in many foreign countries, as an American you'll need a work permit if you actually want to get a legit job.
Your point? People expatriate to other countries every day.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:41 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:

Sounds great and probably just what you need to lift your spirits. Sometimes we just have to take some time off to wander. Continue to think outside the box. You'll figure it out. Good luck!!

Old 02-12-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Sounds great and probably just what you need to lift your spirits. Sometimes we just have to take some time off to wander. Continue to think outside the box. You'll figure it out. Good luck!!
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment