Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Strange co-workers....

The one I'll always remember got yelled at by the manager, walked away to his office, got on his desk and dropped a deuce in front of quite a few people and then left....
You know what they say, don't *** where you work, sigh. But usually you hear that phrase in a different context than the one above. Years ago, I had heard about a former co-worker who had done this at work after getting fired on the spot as well (on the floor and not a desk). Luckily, I was not there to see that actually happen. Beyond odd and horrible.

Lots of strange ducks in the work pond. hmmm ... The oddest nightmare of a co-worker for me was one who would talk loudly to his hands or to the wall when he assumed no one was around. Day to day, he was extremely moody from one side being excitedly giddy-happy to that of being severely depressed. He would never make any eye direct contact with any other co-worker when speaking to them as a "manager." He would prefer to send emails to people who sat next to him than to speak to them directly about any topic at hand. His face would turn red when someone disagreed with him and on top of that, he would sometimes yell at managers above his rank and other people in the company usually over the most trivial of discussions. Needless to say, some of us thought this strange duck would go "postal" at some point at work. This guy was a true basket case and possibly chock-full of some mental illness.

Last edited by maus; 02-14-2016 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 10:23 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
It was at a job long, long ago. So long ago folks still smoked at their desks. I came in and found a Hershey's chocolate bar on my desk. I noticed everybody had one. It was a sales job, so I figured it was a little feel-good incentive/treat. I got busy and didn't think about it again, but some folks ate theirs.

Around 10:30 one of our coworkers came around "collecting" for the candy bars. She was selling them for her kids' school. Half the folks had eaten them and paid up. I hadn't eaten mine, so I just handed it back to her. Unbelievable.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:11 PM

3,923 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
It was at a job long, long ago. So long ago folks still smoked at their desks. I came in and found a Hershey's chocolate bar on my desk. I noticed everybody had one. It was a sales job, so I figured it was a little feel-good incentive/treat. I got busy and didn't think about it again, but some folks ate theirs.

Around 10:30 one of our coworkers came around "collecting" for the candy bars. She was selling them for her kids' school. Half the folks had eaten them and paid up. I hadn't eaten mine, so I just handed it back to her. Unbelievable.
Wow, wtf! Lol! People are so weird.

I would say most of you have me beat. We did have the office "hoarder" whose desk was FULL of stuff. It was like she was a mini convenience mart of gums, mints, candy, pens, and other unnecessary nik-naks.

Then there was the one time where a coworker of mine just came out with "I have big nipples" during a happy hour conversation. We were all like, "uhhhhh okay...? cool story."

Old 02-15-2016, 02:13 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
I worked for a lady that would have crying binges. You would walk in her office and she would just be bawling her eyes out. No one ever knew what she was crying about. She is also the one where I walked into her office and she was sound asleep on the floor - middle of the day - her door wide open.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:21 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
I had a coworker come up to me while I was eating lunch to talk about his personal life demons with drugs and the like. Nearly choked on my sushi. I'd never spoken with him about non-work matters before.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times
I worked for a nice man who never, ever cleaned off the top of his desk. I mean, every piece of paper, napkin, receipt, etc that he dealt with during the day, stayed on his desk. Then when he would go out of town for several days, it would be my job to excavate the desk. There would sometimes be six inches thick of papers blanketing the entire desk. It was like doing an archaeological dig through the layers of time.

He also liked to play opera CD's during the work day. And they were all OLD opera music, like, scratchy wax cylinder recordings of ancient singers from the late 1800s and early 1900s which had such terrible sound quality that it sounded like goats bleating. (I mean, I think opera is okay, but I couldn't stand this stuff...)

As for personal details...

When I was in college and a student worker, I had a student co-worker who barely chatted with us. On her last day, she decided to suddenly tell everyone every bad thing that had happened to her during her four years of college. At first we were stunned and very sympathetic when she told us she had been sexually assaulted at a frat party and never told anyone, and that her sorority made her be quiet about it. That actually rang pretty true. But then she started unloading all these increasingly farfetched stories about an endless string of bad boyfriends who, somehow, had *all* hired private investigators to follow her and harass her. The more details she revealed over the next couple hours, the more we got uncomfortable listening to her because her tales of woe just got harder and harder to believe.

(I, personally, believed her story about the assault; just because someone may have a predilection for telling stories, doesn't mean a crime didn't happen to them. But the rest of it was just... well, I'm glad it was our last day working together.)

Last edited by Jeromeville; 02-15-2016 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 11:24 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I worked for a lady that would have crying binges. You would walk in her office and she would just be bawling her eyes out. No one ever knew what she was crying about.

I worked with this woman too!

I also worked with a woman who wore the same clothes a week at a time. Pants, shirt and jacket. All week the same clothes. The next week, a different outfit, but the same one all week. She was a cat lady. When she would find cat hair on her clothes, she would pick it off and put it in her pocket.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times
The guy who only washed on Months ending with y, even if he didn't need it

Marinating in the corner with his Sweat and his shirts that were so old they were actually held together by Body Odor

The pants probably got dry cleaned Once A Decade, best

....and he biked 20km to work...

The Stench was Horrific. And NO ONE could do a damn thing about it, it seemed - he'd been in the Same Chair for 40 years.

In itself a sign of Something, not quite sure what...

Old 02-16-2016, 01:23 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
* The guy that smelled like alcohol everyday. It just exuded from his pores.

* The woman who had an attendance problem that lied about surgeries, funerals, etc., til she got busted for saying her sister had died, and they verified she hadn't. She went as far in this lie as to tell HR to ask for "Slappy" at the funeral home, who turned out to be the custodian.

* The obese coworker who screwed his obese wife in the front seat of their van during lunch hour -- in the parking lot right in front of the building. How did I know? The horn was honking with every thrust. True story.

* The girl who kept buying newer and newer cars that she couldn't afford, until she had to stage an accident to get it totaled -- and the other driver was killed in the process. I think she's still in prison.

* The guy who was supposed to show up to a week-long conference in Denver and never did -- he was on his flight, but never checked in to the hotel. A huge search went up for him, the police were called, etc., and he showed up for work the following Monday like nothing had happened. He must know something about the management, because they've made sure he was on every contract, moved from contractor to contractor, and he still has a job.

* The manager who was banging the receptionist in the women's bathroom when his wife walked in. She recognized his shoes -- a very expensive pair of loafers with special golden pennies in them.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:31 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
A coworker last year just walked off the job one evening last spring and didn't come back for a few days I think, leaving her car in the parking lot the whole time. As far as I know, she wasn't disciplined and not much was ever made of it, completely bizarre. She resigned a few months later. I could understand getting upset and quitting, but to just leave the car there for days? Weird.

She added me on Facebook around a month ago, completely out of the blue, when she heard from another coworker I left that employer. She ended up moving out of state to a place I think she had only been once, changed her name to her maiden name, and changed her last name again within the past few weeks. Just a weird person overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment