Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:44 AM

6,430 posts, read 7,718,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
It came from a coworker that applied outside the department.

Yes, it is his business as he will need to be apart of the transfer and will need to sign off in the end. If it wasn't any of his his business and was as easy as me applying, getting offered the job, giving my notice to current department manger, and leaving, I wouldn't be posting this in the first place.
Disgusted gave you good advice, I think you should happily take it without the snark.

First, don't believe everything you hear. Second, you have nothing yet. The title of your post is misleading. Your manager isn't stopping you from doing anything and likely won't.

Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 03:03 PM

2,030 posts, read 4,523,491 times
In my younger days, I worked for a government entity. My department had three managers come and go while I was there. Me and the last manager didn't seem to connect. I decided to apply for another department. I got the position. However, all transfers had to be approved by your current manager. Mine wouldn't release me! We didn't get along but he still was trying to keep me in the department. So, being young and dumb, I decided just to quit my job.

I still look back at that with regret. It was the Federal Government and I could've been retired by now just with years of service.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,712,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
In my younger days, I worked for a government entity. My department had three managers come and go while I was there. Me and the last manager didn't seem to connect. I decided to apply for another department. I got the position. However, all transfers had to be approved by your current manager. Mine wouldn't release me! We didn't get along but he still was trying to keep me in the department. So, being young and dumb, I decided just to quit my job.

I still look back at that with regret. It was the Federal Government and I could've been retired by now just with years of service.
In this instance, he doesn't know if his/her? manager would do that. It is based off of hearsay when someone could say that happens strictly because they haven't get gotten an internal transfer and want something to blame it on. I think the instances where that is true is going to be pretty rare!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,259,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post

There are trade-offs in everything you do. I was in a similar situation as yours, and the new supervisor wouldn't allow me out of the group even though another supervisor specifically asked about me. So I quit, worked elsewhere and a year later came back into a much better job with increased pay for the same company working in another area I enjoyed more.

And if I didn't take a great promotion and move, my old house would have been paid off by now. But the reality is, you make the best choices with the information you have at the time. You are also glossing over the number of miserable years you would have had being trapped in a group with a manager you hated and a situation you couldn't get out of. I like where we are living much better, and like the house too.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:45 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,733,870 times
Had to bring this back up because sadly, this is exactly what he is doing to the two others that are also in my position. They have had interviews and when the hiring manager contacts him, he gives a bad reference-- anything from them not being reliable to calling in sick to anything negative he feels like telling them that day. It is such a large company, that its very unlikely that two hiring mangers will ever talk and put two and two together. He has even mentioned "if you want to get out of this department I will make it very hard for you!!!" I believe he takes it as some person insult or threat.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:52 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
Quote:
Had to bring this back up because sadly, this is exactly what he is doing to the two others that are also in my position. They have had interviews and when the hiring manager contacts him, he gives a bad reference-- anything from them not being reliable to calling in sick to anything negative he feels like telling them that day. It is such a large company, that its very unlikely that two hiring mangers will ever talk and put two and two together. He has even mentioned "if you want to get out of this department I will make it very hard for you!!!" I believe he takes it as some person insult or threat.
Perhaps someone should notify HR and get all of their own documents pertaining to time off, reviews etc.
and go to the other hiring managers with the official documents and show them what they were told is not true.
This manager needs to be reported to those who are in charge of him.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:48 PM

I thought about doing something similar. When I interview for an internal transfer, I will just bring my latest review (great review) and do my best to explain to the hiring manager that if they want to hire me, that my current manager will most likely state untrue things about me in the attempts sway away any job offer.

I have read numerous "don't go to HR" "HR is not your friend" on here so I am hesitant to bring them in just yet.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:28 AM

521 posts, read 289,053 times
Quote:
That is really annoying. There is a director in my company who always does that! some departments keep hiring the wrong external candidates because of how complicated the internal transfer is.

I don't think HR will do anything they will step with your boss. What about your boss's boss? or can you provide any internal reliable reference to the hiring manager?

Old 07-03-2016, 04:35 PM

I think his boss's boss is so removed he doesn't really "know" us. I only met him once on my first day of work over a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment