Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:19 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Like I suggested to my friends that, while on lunch, I could pretend to have a conversation on my phone, where I beat someone up real bad, or something, but my friends said that this was the wrong approach, and will make things worse.
That is a terrible idea. Why do I have the feeling that you were homeschooled? You couldn't have gone through life and never met people like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 03:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,757,887 times
The bullies act like children. Children scream and throw tantrums to get your attention. No insult in the world will make them stop. The only way to make them stop is to convince them it won't get your attention by never paying attention to it.

They come over and yell at you because they want you to respond back. If you respond back, in any way whatsoever, then they got what they wanted, and will do it again and again. Most people learn this in grade school. It's been a while, you might have forgotten, that's okay.

Ignore them. Keep ignoring them. If they scream at you, put on a poker face, make eye contact for 3 seconds so they know you heard them, then do not respond in any other way, and turn around and go back to your work. Do not engage. Period. All they can do is keep screaming.

If they TOUCH you, call the police. Feel free to tell them that if you think they might: "if you touch me I will call the police". And that's it. Otherwise, mouth shut, poker face. Tune out the screaming. If you do it right, it becomes funny. They sound just like a potty mouthed 6 year old on the playground. Be the adult and ignore it and do your job. End of story.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:39 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times
Okay thanks, but I have done the ignoring thing already and it's not working. These are the types of bullies who will not be ignored. So if ignoring them is not going to work, and responding to them is not going to work, cause they want that, what next?

In school it worked, but these ones have taken it up quite a few notches compared to a school kid. What if ignoring them is not working, and they are coming at me more and more aggressively because of it.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:44 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,757,887 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, but I have done the ignoring thing already and it's not working. These are the types of bullies who will not be ignored. So if ignoring them is not going to work, and responding to them is not going to work, cause they want that, what next?

In school it worked, but these ones have taken it up quite a few notches compared to a school kid. What if ignoring them is not working, and they are coming at me more and more aggressively because of it.

Dude. Just ignore them forever. THEY DON'T MATTER.

Why can't you ignore them? Do they touch you? Shove you? Get in your space? What? If not, then they can be ignored. FOREVER.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,585,975 times
I would flat out say why do you keep f'in with me? If they respond with "i'm just playing around or joking" Smile and say it's all good. Oddly some people show they like you by messing with you.

Now if they say "because i don't like you" then there is nothing to do about that but look for another job. They will keep it up until you quit anyway.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:18 PM

Oh these people definitely do not like others, I can tell the difference.

The reason why I cannot ignore them anymore, is because I cannot stand to listen to it anymore. If I ignore it, my ears can still here it, which I can no longer stand. I am going to do something about it sooner or later, it's just a question of what is the best approach, because it's gotten to the point where I cannot stand to listen it anymore.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
I am looking for a new job, but I would like to see stay at this to make money until I get the new one of course.

What insults should I use then? I am not very good at this, so what should I say to intimidate them to back off?
NOTHING. I truly hope you were kidding about saying those things to her. If you do you will get fired, and rightly so. That stuff you want to shout will make you sound unhinged.

Take the high road. Go to HR if you want, but if you repeat what is going on with that degree of emotion you are expressing here, they will never take you seriously (again, you will appear unhinged). Calm yourself down and get some perspective, then calmly and professionally write out your complaints and send them to HR. You MUST keep emotion out of it.

I have worked with bullies before, but I choose always to take the high road, and have found responding with kindness regardless of how they talk to me, usually results in an end to it more so than going off the deep end does. If you really say all that to them, they will wait till you leave then laugh about how nuts you are.

My mother, when I used to complain that my older brother was picking on me, would always say "If you didn't react, he would stop doing it".

Old 02-15-2016, 04:46 PM

Well they say crude and rude things to other people and do not get fired, so if say something back, what's the difference?

I can take the high road, but ignoring does not work, cause I still have to hear it. I have to stop the problem, not ignore it, and still let it be there.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Make a comment that you've heard the bully has a small di_k and he talks the way he does as a way to compensate.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:34 PM

Well I could say that but it was already established that insulting remarks are a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment