Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:58 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times

Advertisements

At five years old I knew I was going to be a fighter pilot. Friends of my Father had pilots licenses and own airplanes and I absolutely loved flying. My bubble was burst shortly after my sixth birthday when my fist grade teacher told my parents it might be a good idea to get my eyes examined. I did. My eye Doctor was a WW2 fighter pilot and when I told him that was what I wanted to be he told me that it wouldn't happen because of my eyes. I was terribly disappointed to learn this and I really never set any goal for myself after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 05:32 PM

339 posts, read 777,636 times
When I was a young lad, I wanted to be an engineer on the railroad or a firefighter. After my military service, I hired on to the Union Pacific Railroad and became an engineer. After a couple of years as a freight jockey, I joined the fire department where I spent 33 years. Living the dream!

Old 02-18-2016, 05:47 PM

305 posts, read 179,931 times
I was a surprisingly practical little girl. I've been singing in front of audiences since before I can remember and everyone told me I was going to grow up to be a famous singer, and while that was a fun notion I never thought that was what I was going to be.

I thought maybe I'd teach music.

Music is still a huge part of my life, but I work in accounting for a construction company and I think I'm actually happier doing this for a job than working in any music career.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
I wanted to work at Toys R Us....at the time when I was 5 it seemed like the best job in the world

Other than that I wanted to be an author when I was a kid. I would often write books, draw, write poems, etc. For some reason I lost that creativity when I hit high school unfortunately. I'm still good at writing essays but I don't have that imagination anymore, I could've been the next J.K. Rowling! Haha, I also would win awards for poems.

I do HR now, I like it. It's not my dream job but I don't really have an idea of what I would love to do. I love dogs...maybe open a dog day care but that's a ton of work. I love food... I guess my dream job would be traveling and eating doing those travel shows! Who wouldn't want to eat and travel? How do I get in to that?! I yelp and critique places and food...I'm an elite member so I think that's as good as it's going to get =\

Bright side, I'll be starting a new job Monday with a lot of PTO and more money that supports me eating and traveling....LOL! Paid vacation... I'll just pretend it's what I do for a living.
You just described a perfect set of loves/abilities! Traveling, eating, and writing - it's a travel/culture/food journalism!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
When I learned my grandma lives on her pension and doesn't have to work, a wave of envy flashed through my mind. So I was dreaming about getting retired since then, or live a landlord life, or on investment income, or on royalty. On my way to this, though, I got 2 Masters, 1 Bachelor, worked as a geologist, journalist, and a bookkeeper, and intend to live happily maybe even without fulfilling my dream ever.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
My grandfather would live abroad every summer. We would take him to the Airport. I remember vividly walking down the corridor one time and thinking, "one day I want to work in an Airport".

It is even better than I expected
Gigi, what do you do at the airport? For those of us great unwashed (*that would be me*) what we mostly see are the security, the gate agents and the vendor food places.

Can you help us understand what other kinds of things there are to do?

I really apologize for being so dull about this. But I would LOVE to understand more. I like finding out about how "things" work, lol!

Thanks in advance, Jane

Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
When I was a child - all through HS, actually - I wanted to be a film critic. Imagine watching movies all the time and analyzing them! And discussing them! And lecturing on them! And writing about them.

What I actually became were an actuary, then a financial analyst, then an engineer. Getting multiple grad degrees was a real time suck. However, they HAVE kept me steadily employed, and got the kids off to a start in life without student loans.

In my next life I STILL want to be a film critic, lol!

Old 02-19-2016, 04:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I wanted to be a teacher. I think it was because I loved my 2nd grade teacher so much. I did military for 29 years, not always full time, but at one time I was a military instructor and loved it! I do love teaching! At work now I enjoy showing people how to do stuff. Just taught my coworker how to recall sent emails yesterday. I put together a Power Point for my customers so they could get into our maintenance program and track their requests. I'm always ready to get up and speak!!

My English teachers wanted me to be a writer. Took several decades for me to actually write anything.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:45 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
I wanted to be a nun----until I found out you had to be Catholic. Alas, we were Presbyterian
I thought the nun getup was cool!

Old 02-19-2016, 06:23 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
A jockey . All of my life .
When I passed 5'5" though I was concerned then I topped out at 5'7" my usual weight is 130 ,, WAY too heavy , still I kept riding , grooming and then galloping also showing Thoroughbreds in regular hunter/jumper shows from 1968 to 81 . By this time I was "flipping" ( ill let you all look that one up ) starving etc .. and could NOT get under 120 .

So I remained a galloper/ excersize person which was fine and now that I am older I am still there as a groom and a breeder/ owner of both Thoroughbred and Quarter horse racing horses and I also get paid to show other people horses in the showing part of our industry.

Most people I show for I don't know but some are very well known and the horse is better known than me and that is always very satisfying . At 53 though and 125lbs things could be alot worse . I wish my parents could have been alive to see people know of me well enough to be able to ask my agent for me or that I even HAVE an agent . They always wished I would quit . My dad even got up once at a holiday dinner and told my younger sister she could never even have a riding lesson , that horses had ruined my life .

They were actually the loves of my life .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment