Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,634 times

Advertisements

is someone eligible for unemployment if they are 2 checks behind on getting paid?? If they leave the job, will they be denied or penalized unemployment???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
call or visit your local un-employment office and also call the Labor Board for your state

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv3_25 View Post
is someone eligible for unemployment if they are 2 checks behind on getting paid?? If they leave the job, will they be denied or penalized unemployment???

Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
leaving a job due to non payment is not quitting. Its refusing to work for free. File a claim for wages at the workforce commission. it dont cost anything. and you can file for UE benefits.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
My employer isnt paying me in a timely fashion. It has been 3.5 week since start date and I still have not recieved first pay check. What are my rights? I can't keep working for free.

The fraudulent place I just left would have people work for 3 months before they got their first pay. It took me 6 weeks to get my first pay and that;s because they filled the position before getting the funding.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
TVSG - another insight from you.
PS: I thought you were currently unemployed after having worked for the same company for 10 years but maybe I'm confusing you with someone else and the topcoat is covering my eyes. Cheers!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
unfortunately employee rights are a function of our contempt for unions.
the assumption that the corporations and government will treat us fairly and labor unions are utterly unnecessary is a poor one.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
TVSG - another insight from you.
PS: I thought you were currently unemployed after having worked for the same company for 10 years but maybe I'm confusing you with someone else and the topcoat is covering my eyes. Cheers!
I said I was employed for ten straight years but not with the same company.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I like cashing the check at the bank it is drawn on. The woman that couldn't cover the check was unable to face the embarassment. Sometimes I miss the cash on the spot jobs I had back in the day.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unfortunately employee rights are a function of our contempt for unions.
the assumption that the corporations and government will treat us fairly and labor unions are utterly unnecessary is a poor one.

You have hit the nail on the head, although you can expect people to jump down your throat for having made this observation. (Quoth a worker from a union shop who came from the non-unionized private sector...not the milk-and-honey paradise your average wage slave thinks it is!)

Management takes what it can get, and gives back as little as it can get away with. This is why workers, at least, those workers who can't accept such an arrangement any more, tend to form unions. For everyone else, let 'em continue along on their merry way, waiting patiently for the company to bestow its blessings. Those people get what they deserve.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,273 times
I think employer's should be made to pay a late fee to the employee if the paycheck is not presented on time, similar to a late fee by creditors if you are even 1 day late. I am "scheduled" to be payed every other Friday, but I am constantly having to harass my boss to get payed by Saturday (I work in a pizza shop open 7 days a week). I almost feel like a debt collector sometimes. My guess is that he doesn't want the checks to be cashed until Monday so they don't bounce. I work for a franchise, should I contact the corporate office about this and risk further issues with my boss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment