U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,804,434 times

Advertisements

No, not a good idea! If it is a franchise and depending on his/her contract, the chances are high that your boss is your boss and the buck stops there.

If you are unhappy with late paychecks, then you should start looking for another job, with better credit worthyness. You can find this out by looking up the company on the state website. Punch in their name and see if they have paid their taxes on time and other useful information. You can also go online to your court system and see how many times they have been sued recently. All tell tale signs of a person who doesn't pay their bills.

Unfortunately, the laws regarding getting a pay check is the word "reasonable". Pay should be paid in a reasonable amount of time, after it is due.

cheers and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbanyan View Post
I think employer's should be made to pay a late fee to the employee if the paycheck is not presented on time, similar to a late fee by creditors if you are even 1 day late. I am "scheduled" to be payed every other Friday, but I am constantly having to harass my boss to get payed by Saturday (I work in a pizza shop open 7 days a week). I almost feel like a debt collector sometimes. My guess is that he doesn't want the checks to be cashed until Monday so they don't bounce. I work for a franchise, should I contact the corporate office about this and risk further issues with my boss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 PM

6,245 posts, read 5,607,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
One thing I learned when I worked for this company where the owner was known as a real player. I never deposited my paycheck to my account for that very reason. I went to HIS bank and paid a $5 fee since I didn't have an account there and got the cash, then went to my bank and deposited the cash.

Personally I would tolerate that kind of BS. I work to get paid, thats it. If you can't give me my money then why am I here?
I find stories like this most upsetting.

If you went to his bank you shouldn't have had to pay $5 to cash a check drawn on that bank.

More importantly we all need to remember everyone, even you, is self employed. You are your own business you are being paid for the work you do. You are in a contract with your employer to provide labor for a set hourly rate.

When I was an employer I sometimes playfully screwed around with my employees, all in fun mind you, but I never screwed around with their pay or their paychecks. Everyone knew payday was on Thursday morning and they had the option of picking up their paycheck after 9:00 AM (not 8:55 AM but 9:00 AM) or, upon their direction, I would put it in the US Mail that day. To pay on time and to be paid is a question of honor. By not paying on time the employer is sending the message that the employee is worthless. I wouldn't tolerate that.

If you have trouble the easiest way to handle it is go to wage hour division of the federal government department of labor and it is free. The federal government has ways to get money out of dirtbags and like a call from the IRS this isn't easily brushed away.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,925,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
My employer isnt paying me in a timely fashion. It has been 3.5 week since start date and I still have not recieved first pay check. What are my rights? I can't keep working for free.
Your employer needs to pay you. Why don't you go talk to them and find out what the deal is? And then make some phone calls.

If they are not paying you, it's because their clients aren't paying them on time and they can't get a loan from the bank to cover paychecks.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 13,366 times
i was suppose to get paid and due it being a Jewish holiday i am note getting paid till tomorrow. there was notice or any sort of announcement about this ahead of time and now i am in a situation that has pushed me further into dept! what do i do?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM

5,533 posts, read 10,404,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvgreg View Post
i was suppose to get paid and due it being a Jewish holiday i am note getting paid till tomorrow. there was notice or any sort of announcement about this ahead of time and now i am in a situation that has pushed me further into dept! what do i do?
I've been where you are...and unfortunately since it is tomorrow you are just going to have to wait it out. If tomorrow comes and goes and you haven't been paid then you will need to do something else.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,919,373 times
I've had this happen a few times with part time or contract work. After a bit of "hemming and hawing", I would receive the check and take it to their bank. The faces were very red and the money seemed to mysteriously appear when I presented the employeer with the information from the bank.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 PM

15,783 posts, read 16,746,836 times
Quote:
What reputable companies do is pay the employees on the closest business day prior to the holiday. The jewish holiday is not even a banking holiday anyway so they have some nerve.

If you are in CA, you can sue them for this. CA has great laws that are in favor of employees, including the right for employees to get paid on time. Employees who are let go don't even have to wait for their final paycheck in CA. The employer MUST give them all the money owed, including accrued vacation pay, on the actual day of severance.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 PM

15,783 posts, read 16,746,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I've had this happen a few times with part time or contract work. After a bit of "hemming and hawing", I would receive the check and take it to their bank. The faces were very red and the money seemed to mysteriously appear when I presented the employeer with the information from the bank.
Kind of don't get this. What information did their bank give you when you brought the check to them? Did they say, "Oh that account always has a lot of money in it so they should have paid you on time" or something like that?

Old 09-29-2009, 04:25 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,919,373 times
Sorry, some sentences disappeared in cyberspace! These were usually free lance writing or editing assignments that were payed monthly. I (and some others) would go by to get our checks and we'd hear, "oh, I've just been so swamped this month. Come back in a while and I'll have it ready" or some similar excuse. If I ever heard anything like this, I always took the check to the company's bank to cash it. Of course the bank can't comment on anything, but they can certainly tell you when there's not enough money to cash the check. I would then go back to the office and repeat exactly what the bank said. It was funny how the money seemed to appear. Usually the excuse would be "I just made a deposit, I must have made a mistake in the account, the deposit hasn't credited yet" or something along those lines. It seems like someone might have actually handed me the cash once. It didn't happen very often or I wouldn't have written for the publications anymore, but I did want my money. Certainly it wasn't my main source of income. I've also heard of people experiencing the same thing in antique malls and hearing the same excuses. I'm sure someone will ask why I didn't pursue other avenues of payment, go to court, etc. but it just wasn't worth the costs and time. If I hadn't received the money at all the story might be different. Remember the old saying, "you can't get blood out of a turnip"? It applied in a few instances. By the way, the path of least resistance advice came from some depression era parents who ran a very successful business for 38 years. Like so many things in life, the situation and the outcome determine the actions a person takes.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:01 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,540,114 times
Quote:
Yom Kippur

September 27-28, 2009

through nightfall of 9/28/09, 7:25pm, your time, Yom Kippur ended. Now, these people that own this business, are they Jewish? Did they observe Yom Kippur, The Laws: five areas of pleasure to avoid on Yom Kippur—from sundown on the eve of the holiday until the following nightfall;

1.Eating or drinking.
2.Wearing leather footwear.
3.Bathing or washing.
4.Applying ointment, lotions, or creams.
5.Engaging in any form of spousal intimacy.

(These all are restrictions unique to Yom Kippur; we also abstain from all creative activities forbidden on the Shabbat, e.g., turning on lights, driving, and carrying in the public domain.)

So you didn't work either? I would definitely report this company and these people to the NY workforce, and the Jewish Community for religious fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment