U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 16,279 times
Default Not getting my paycheck on time

My employer has not giving me my checks for September 18,2009 or my check for october 02,2009.my employer says i have missed days on my time sheet. I not caring about the days missed i just want my two paychecks thats due me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-05-2009, 12:24 PM

499 posts, read 861,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
My employer isnt paying me in a timely fashion. It has been 3.5 week since start date and I still have not recieved first pay check. What are my rights? I can't keep working for free.
If the job pays weekly then you have a reason to wring someones neck, but if the job is bi-weekly or two times a/month then you probably are out of luck.

This is why when people get hired they should ask ALOT of questions BEFORE they start work.

good luck...my sister and my ex-wife had the same problem recently.

Unread 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 15,528 times
i work for a company in meekatharra doing refrig and for the last 3 weeks my boss hasn't paid me or any one else in the company, and everytime i ask him were my money is he just say's " havn't you been paid yet" this has been going on for the last 1.5 years i'm sick off asking him, what can i do?

Unread 01-10-2011, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 15,280 times
My boss doesn't pay me on time and now he wants to take 100 dollers out of my (going on 11 day late) pay check for when he paid for me to be a notary Which I didnt ask for!! Is that legal??

Unread 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM

3,762 posts, read 1,749,651 times
When I worked at the law firm, being paid on time didn't always mean the check was good. The firm owed me for some notary work I did for them (I billed them a whopping $27.00) and I had to take the check to the bank THREE TIMES before it would clear (over a week). Would you feel secure having attorneys like that handle YOUR divorce or deceased relative's estate if they can't keep a lousy $27.00 in the account?

Unread 01-11-2011, 02:47 PM

3,612 posts, read 4,903,410 times
Seriously folks, you really DO need to know your own legal rights as an employee up front with any employer!

You not only need to know them, you need them in writing from your employer AND agree with the terms they present you BEFORE going to work for them, i.e., what your exact wages are and when you are to be paid -- hourly, weekly, bi-weekly, bi-monthly or monthly. Each state has their own rules regarding the maximum length between paydays, so read your own state's labor pay rules for minimum wage, maximum period for which you must be paid, deductions that can be made, etc.

Each state DOES have these listed under their Department of Labor website (for example, see Texas Payday Law Basics. In these Texas Payday Law Basics, it lists that the maximum period between paydays for non-exempt hourly employees is bi-monthly and monthly for exempt salaried employees. Also, in Texas, an employer must pay an employee their final paycheck within six days of their last working day or no more than their next scheduled payday.

To check your own state's rules, find your own state's Department of Labor website, i.e., for another example here's Minnesota's Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry.

Go to your own Department of Labor's website and get their contact number and call them to report these paycheck issues (example, here's what is listed on the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry website: "If you don't see your question answered here or want more information about any of these subjects, contact the Department of Labor and Industry, Labor Standards unit, at dli.laborstandards@state.mn.us, (651) 284-5070 or 1-800-DIAL-DLI (1-800-342-5354)".

Remember, YOU have the right to get paid for all hours worked and you must receive at least the minimum wage as stated on your state's labor website. If you're not getting paid, not getting paid on time, receiving bogus checks when getting paid -- whatever -- it is this state agency that you must report your employer issues to and then it is this state agency who must intercede on your behalf to investigate and resolve these issues and collect payment for you.

Unread 04-29-2011, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 14,829 times
i get paid monthly i missed a payment last month for march its now april and the payroll system has clamped down on my account and i cant fillin my work hours. what are my rights?

Unread 04-29-2011, 06:23 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,728,148 times
To all:

Though the details vary from state to state, there are specific laws governing timely pay for work performed. In three states that I know of (and a couple of them might surprise you), the County Sheriff can SHUT DOWN a business that doesn't pay its employees on the agreed-upon schedule (weekly, biweekly, semi-monthly, monthly, etc.).

You may wish to consult your County Sheriff's office to learn your rights under the local laws.

Regards, and good luck!

-- Nighteyes

Unread 06-17-2011, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 29,140 times
Default FLSA Handy Reference Guide

You noted that an employee should receive their pay within a reasonable amount of time after it is due. In fact, the Federal Standards (Law) is as follows:

"Wages required by the FLSA are due on the regular payday for the pay period covered." found at the following site under the Department of Labor:

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division - U.S. Department of Labor-Handy Reference Guide to the Fair Labor Standards Act (http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/hrg.htm - broken link)

There can be many reasons why someone isn't paid on time. I know of someone who is employed by one of my clients who is the only one receiving direct deposit. In that regards, their pay has been delayed by as much as a week. Despite my advice to the employer to change their processes so everyone is paid on time regardless of the manner of payment, there has been no change which opens than to a sanction by the DOL should the employee show the delay in receiving their due wages as defined by the DOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
No, not a good idea! If it is a franchise and depending on his/her contract, the chances are high that your boss is your boss and the buck stops there.

If you are unhappy with late paychecks, then you should start looking for another job, with better credit worthyness. You can find this out by looking up the company on the state website. Punch in their name and see if they have paid their taxes on time and other useful information. You can also go online to your court system and see how many times they have been sued recently. All tell tale signs of a person who doesn't pay their bills.

Unfortunately, the laws regarding getting a pay check is the word "reasonable". Pay should be paid in a reasonable amount of time, after it is due.

cheers and good luck!

Unread 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 29,140 times
Default Federal Law trumps State Law

Good points throughout. I would also submit that should the state's standards not meet or do not exist in reference to Federal standards, then the DOL's regulations are the governing standards. I agree totally that employees need to take some time to review their rights which are more detailed than the standard labor law posters required to be visible in the workplace. In addition, if these are not displayed, that is, in itself a red flag! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Seriously folks, you really DO need to know your own legal rights as an employee up front with any employer!

You not only need to know them, you need them in writing from your employer AND agree with the terms they present you BEFORE going to work for them, i.e., what your exact wages are and when you are to be paid -- hourly, weekly, bi-weekly, bi-monthly or monthly. Each state has their own rules regarding the maximum length between paydays, so read your own state's labor pay rules for minimum wage, maximum period for which you must be paid, deductions that can be made, etc.

Each state DOES have these listed under their Department of Labor website (for example, see [URL="http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/texas_payday_law_basics.html"]Texas Payday Law Basics[/URL]. In these Texas Payday Law Basics, it lists that the maximum period between paydays for non-exempt hourly employees is bi-monthly and monthly for exempt salaried employees. Also, in Texas, an employer must pay an employee their final paycheck within six days of their last working day or no more than their next scheduled payday.

To check your own state's rules, find your own state's Department of Labor website, i.e., for another example here's Minnesota's [URL="http://www.dli.mn.gov/main.asp"]Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry[/URL][URL="http://www.dli.mn.gov/main.asp"].[/URL]

Go to your own Department of Labor's website and get their contact number and call them to report these paycheck issues (example, here's what is listed on the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry website: "If you don't see your question answered here or want more information about any of these subjects, contact the Department of Labor and Industry, Labor Standards unit, at [EMAIL="dli.laborstandards@state.mn.us"]dli.laborstandards@state.mn.us[/EMAIL], (651) 284-5070 or 1-800-DIAL-DLI (1-800-342-5354)".

Remember, YOU have the right to get paid for all hours worked and you must receive at least the minimum wage as stated on your state's labor website. If you're not getting paid, not getting paid on time, receiving bogus checks when getting paid -- whatever -- it is this state agency that you must report your employer issues to and then it is this state agency who must intercede on your behalf to investigate and resolve these issues and collect payment for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment