Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,048 times

Advertisements

Is there anything I can do legally?
I came back from a lunch break and my purse was missing. I had a wristlet wallet that I carry instead. I asked around even the supervisor and the individual whom I thought was pulling the prank (we do have a prankster in the group), no one knew anything. After asking around I went back to my desk only to find it in the trash! Nothing was missing in it but the fact is in the trash was poured coffee and that it's degrading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 03:41 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Unless there are surveillance cameras or someone confesses there is really nothing that can be done. Its s good idea to not leave a purse or wallet behind, or a cell phone (smartphones especially contain personal info.) when you step out. It's good nothing was stolen, If it was a prank it was a bad one as there is nothing funny about this. There's that sinking feeling one gets when a wallet or important item is missing.

Many people are nosy and like to snoop and that may have been part of the case here also. Keep your personal belongings on you in sight fron here on.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel55 View Post
What law do you believe was broken?

Old 02-21-2016, 06:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
I'm sorry this happened to you, but sadly there's nothing you can do unless you find the person who did it and prove they did it.

Stuff gets stolen at work all the time and it's up to you to secure your personal belongings. It sucks that we can't trust our co workers, but some people are dirt bags who have no problem stealing from others.

No too long ago a co worker had $200 go missing from her purse. Why she left her purse unattended, in an empty office, with $200 in it is beyond me. The office isn't totally secure, it's locked, but many people have access to it.

I keep my purse locked in my desk drawer and I'm the only one with a key.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:46 AM

298 posts, read 270,995 times
You take your purse with you or lock it in your desk.If there are cameras, and they're working, maybe you can find who did it. I'd be scared. If they snooped in your purse they know where you live and have lots of private info on you.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:04 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What law do you believe was broken?

How about theft or unauthorized use of property? Or do you think it is legal to take someone's wallet?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
OP: What do you want to do?

You can tell your supv if it happens again you will call the police.

You can give your supv a week to figure out who took you purse and take appropriate action. If he can't do it, you will call the police.

You can call the police.

You can try to figure out if someone was pranking you.

You can file a complaint with HR.

You really need to try and figure out if someone was messing with you, or if someone really wanted to steal your wallet. Unless your office has an office thief, the boss is not going to want the police or HR in his business.

Regardless, do not leave personal items of value unsecured -- lock them in a filing cabinet or a desk drawer.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:38 AM

65 posts, read 55,678 times
Is there a possibility that it was perched on the end of the desk and fell into the trash can? Do you have any reason to believe someone would purposely put your purse in the trash can instead of stealing it outright... especially if nothing was missing from it?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:16 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel55 View Post
I came back from a lunch break and my purse was missing. I had a wristlet wallet that I carry instead. I asked around even the supervisor and the individual whom I thought was pulling the prank (we do have a prankster in the group), no one knew anything. After asking around I went back to my desk only to find it in the trash! Nothing was missing in it but the fact is in the trash was poured coffee and that it's degrading.
I'd see if there was a way to lock the purse in a drawer....Problem solved, prankster loses.

Every worker gets "Stink eye" for a couple weeks...Realize this, the prankster may also "Up the game" since you got fuzzed...Next they'll screw with your desk or computer, I'd suggest securing everything....

Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2032 View Post
Is there a possibility that it was perched on the end of the desk and fell into the trash can? Do you have any reason to believe someone would purposely put your purse in the trash can instead of stealing it outright... especially if nothing was missing from it?
Yes, what about other scenarios like above?

Realistically, what options does the OP really have?

Nothing was taken from the purse. And OP doesn't have a single piece of proof that someone took the wallet, took nothing from it, and decided to dump it in the trash as a prank or due to some ill intent.

Lesson learned, always lock up your personal belongings or keep it with you. I always keep my wallet with me or locked in my car glove compartment at work.

Whatever happened, don't sit there and be bitter, resentful, and let this incident ruin your attitude on the job, because you don't know exactly what happened and have no proof either way. If I was working in a group, and something similar happened to a co-worker, I'd be pretty annoyed if the co-worker went around trying to stir up a hornets nest with accusations and whatnot. Doesn't create a healthy work environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment