Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
I am planning on giving my 2 weeks notice soon with my current employer, in the past I have chosen to not disclose where I'm going to anyone, even co-workers I had a good relationship with. I thought that by disclosing it may jeopardize my new position and that I would not be starting with a clean slate among other things, I thought to myself, why do they need to know? Why do they care? Also by disclosing it opens up comments of judging where I'm going and what I'll be doing in relation to what's being done here.

While most never had a problem with it, I'm sure some may take offense to it or like I'm being evasive or deceitful. I have been at my current employer for 3 years, and work with a group of guys that I go out for lunch with regularly, but do not hang out with after hours or on the weekends, I think they may take it hard that I'm leaving and not telling where or who I'm going to, Management on the other hand not so much as they are secretive in their own way and do not really care about me or my place in the company, long story but that's why I'm leaving.

So, do you think I'm making the best choice by not disclosing anything till after I'm at the new position 30 days or so? That goes for social media updates or etc? The position will be in another industry and on the other side of the country if that helps? In the past job changes were local, this one is not the case.

Also I have never been asked to leave after giving notice, was always treated well and even had one employer give me a little party on my last day with the office. I always wanted to be professional as possible for good future references. Though I have seen people at my current employer leave via 2 weeks and not be told to leave on the day the notice was dropped, they were in other department. Issue is, my Boss just let go of two people in my department, due to job performance, within the past week and is now short handed on projects. So it may reflect negatively on me but this change has been in progress for nearly 2 months on my end.

Lastly, any opinions on the best time to give notice, I read Friday afternoons, but I have done it on Monday mornings as well. I'm leaning more towards Friday afternoon, since it will allow me to get paid the final week without having any break in pay since I'm moving a very long distance for the new job. IF they ask me to leave, at least I'll get the full week of pay.

Thanks!

I think you're smart to keep it quiet. You're also leaving the area you live you said and moving far away. So it's not like you're going to be saying to these guys let's get together once in awhile for lunch as you won't be living in the area. Yes, you will miss and they will miss you but in time everyone moves on. Especially when you're leaving the area.

If you want after your settled in your new job and city you can contact them.

I have done it both ways, I think it's best to keep it quiet. I told no one at one company but was "work friends" with a couple of people, and after I got settled I told them and we met for lunch.

Gave two weeks notice at another job and should have known better as they had a habit of once you gave notice they let you go before the two weeks but paid you. I was let go on Friday of the first week of notice. Fine, I got a week's paid vacation before starting a new job.

The problem was I told people, I had my ex boss calling me(which annoyed me because he knew it was going to happen and said nothing, so I had work that was unfinished that I could have wrapped up in the second week, than one of our vendors looking for business on my 2nd or 3rd day. I told them you do realize I just started here.

The kicker was the guy hired to replace me a couple of weeks later....LOL. I talked to him once as a courtesy and was helpful, he called back again about a week later, I told him this was going to have to be the last call, I'm at a new job now and they're not paying me to discuss my old job responsibilities.

I think it's best to say nothing until later on or at all. If someone's nose is out of joint, too bad. You probably won't see these people anymore since you're moving. It sounds like they will be sad to see you go and take you out to lunch.

Congrats on the new job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 25,307 times
Thanks for the opinions, food for thought. I do feel guarded to keep it under wraps since I'm sure people I work with, will tend to pass judgement and treat you differently as if they are insulted or hurt. I even thought of not giving 2 weeks notice because if they ask me to leave I'll lose the last 2 weeks of pay, but I hate to damage my reputation and references by just giving notice that way.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:08 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Thanks for the opinions, food for thought. I do feel guarded to keep it under wraps since I'm sure people I work with, will tend to pass judgement and treat you differently as if they are insulted or hurt. I even thought of not giving 2 weeks notice because if they ask me to leave I'll lose the last 2 weeks of pay, but I hate to damage my reputation and references by just giving notice that way.
There is no reason to tell them. I have left jobs and didn't tell anyone where I was going. I simply said, "I will let you know after I get settled in, but I enjoyed working with you...". That's it. No reason you can't contact people later on and ask them to be references for you if needed. Anyone who is going to be upset with you protecting your own interests by not telling others, isn't anyone who is going to be a good reference or friend to you. I have worked years with people I had lunch with, never saw them outside of work, and the moment I left the company I never saw them again. So they aren't really friends, they were co-workers.

The nightmare is, you tell everyone where you are going, and a co-worker who doesn't like you, has a friend or neighbor at the new company. He calls them up and says you are starting there, and has bad things to say about you. This can lead to backing out on their offer or to casting you in a bad light even before you start. People in offices gossip. "Hey, I heard a new person is going to work here. I talked with a buddy who knows them and says they were so glad to get rid of them because they are a horrible worker and a terrible person...".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment